+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Louisiana Tech to Honor 1972 National Championship Team - latechsports.com

I'm just a bot - I can't respond to your posts News_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the rough News_Bot's Avatar

Louisiana Tech to Honor 1972 National Championship Team - latechsports.com

A new article has been posted on www.latechsports.com:

RUSTON – One of the greatest football teams in Louisiana Tech history will return to Joe Aillet Stadium this homecoming weekend as members of the 1972 National Championship squad will be honored at Saturday's game between LA Tech and Rice.

More...

Discuss it here.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Louisiana Tech to Honor 1972 National Championship Team - latechsports.com

Good stuff. That 1972 LA Tech team finished 12-0, had several future NFL stars on it (Fred Dean, Roger Carr, Mike Barber, Pat Tilley, etc....) and would beat the crap out of today's Bulldog football team if the two could somehow meet on a field.

The '72 Bulldogs didn't make 1/100th of the mental mistakes that today's Bulldogs make.

Varsity Bulldog thewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your timethewyldman Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Good! I've been wanting a banner or some kind of acknowledgment in the stadium for years

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Good stuff. That 1972 LA Tech team finished 12-0, had several future NFL stars on it (Fred Dean, Roger Carr, Mike Barber, Pat Tilley, etc....) and would beat the crap out of today's Bulldog football team if the two could somehow meet on a field.

The '72 Bulldogs didn't make 1/100th of the mental mistakes that today's Bulldogs make.
    And don't forget about the guy probably too small for the NFL, the late Joe McNeely. Got to meet him (and the rest of the guys you mentioned) at a Tech game in the 1990's, before his accident. Even 20 years after his playing days he still looked and talked like he could play.

Big Dog Rama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant futureRama Jama has a brilliant future Rama Jama's Avatar

Was Coach A.L. Williams involved with this team? I know he was head coach in the 80s, but can’t remember if he was at Tech in 1972 or he may have been at NSU?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    Was Coach A.L. Williams involved with this team? I know he was head coach in the 80s, but can’t remember if he was at Tech in 1972 or he may have been at NSU?
    A.L. Williams coached at NSU, got fired, and was then hired by Tech, that was in the early 80's.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

The A.L. Williams Wikipedia page has been deleted in the last 24 hours. I find that curious.

He played for Tech under Coach Joe Alliet.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Rama Jama View Post
    No.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    And don't forget about the guy probably too small for the NFL, the late Joe McNeely. Got to meet him (and the rest of the guys you mentioned) at a Tech game in the 1990's, before his accident. Even 20 years after his playing days he still looked and talked like he could play.
    I was still in HS, but got to know Joe and Mike Barber from playing BB in the Old Men’s Gym quite frequently. Joe could keep you on edge because you never knew when a scuffle might break out. But he was always nice to me and a handy guy to have around if you needed some help.

I was lucky that way. As a freshman in HS I got to know Fred Dean pretty well. Even though he was a junior he was in my math class. I cut a sweet deal with Fred, math homework for protection when necessary. Made freshman year much more enjoyable. Fred was a great guy.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    I was still in HS, but got to know Joe and Mike Barber from playing BB in the Old Men’s Gym quite frequently. Joe could keep you on edge because you never knew when a scuffle might break out. But he was always nice to me and a handy guy to have around if you needed some help.

I was lucky that way. As a freshman in HS I got to know Fred Dean pretty well. Even though he was a junior he was in my math class. I cut a sweet deal with Fred, math homework for protection when necessary. Made freshman year much more enjoyable. Fred was a great guy.
    Good stories.

Tech and Ruston in general must have been much a tougher place back then, needing all that protection. LOL

But with Joe and Fred having your back, I am sure you were very safe.

+ Reply to Thread