+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: McNeil is back this week

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Re: McNeil is back this week

It’s probably going to be that football being what it is will decide what happens with Lyddy’s long term playing time more so than any preplanned coaches move. As for this year it may not even come down to McNeil’s play or him getting hurt. What if his helmet comes off and he has to leave the field for a play. I sure hope we’re practicing the #3 guy just in case for short term use. I don’t want Lyddy to lose a year for something petty. Now as far as the long term, I don’t know anybody who can predict the future and even if I did I wouldn’t use their knowing on a Tech’s QB outcome. Let’s just strive to play the game well and be smart about playing the best players for the game’s circumstances. As an example not even speaking QB specifics, it makes no sense to run Smoke down the sideline on a fly pattern when he’s going to be covered up by a taller… longer reaching cornerback or safety. Just saying.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post
    It’s probably going to be that football being what it is will decide what happens with Lyddy’s long term playing time more so than any preplanned coaches move. As for this year it may not even come down to McNeil’s play or him getting hurt. What if his helmet comes off and he has to leave the field for a play. I sure hope we’re practicing the #3 guy just in case for short term use. I don’t want Lyddy to lose a year for something petty. Now as far as the long term, I don’t know anybody who can predict the future and even if I did I wouldn’t use their knowing on a Tech’s QB outcome. Let’s just strive to play the game well and be smart about playing the best players for the game’s circumstances. As an example not even speaking QB specifics, it makes no sense to run Smoke down the sideline on a fly pattern when he’s going to be covered up by a taller… longer reaching cornerback or safety. Just saying.
    Jack Turner played the one snap where McNeil had to come out in the first half before his hand got banged up. That play didn't go so well.

Smoke has to get the ball in the backfield or in the flat most of the time. The inside over the middle stuff isn't working for him because he hasn't been able to catch the ball in traffic.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Worrying about Lyddy getting another year is a bit silly. I dont see that being helpful to anyone but a transfer. 3 good years is all you need from him, asking for more is a bit much.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    Worrying about Lyddy getting another year is a bit silly. I dont see that being helpful to anyone but a transfer. 3 good years is all you need from him, asking for more is a bit much.
    Not silly if it's what Lyddy wants. Otherwise you might have him for no more years.

If Lyddy was clearly the best option right now, then he should play and likely would be playing. As along as McNeil is healthy he should be in.

Lyddy should be used only as an emergency backup for McNeil since the free games are gone, and if the redshirt gets burned it gets burned.

Big Dog BCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I agree. I'm amazed at how many of our fans are worried about 2026........the extra year Lyddy would supposedly get from the red shirt. We'll probably recruit 7 or 8 other QB's between now and 2026.

Also, as I've said before, redshirting is much more effective at schools that have long serving coaches that have a specific system they recruit for. The major advantage being, the QB recruit gets to stay in the same offensive system for 5 years. That model just does NOT fit LA Tech's profile. Our coaches come and go. It's very unlikely that Sonny Cumbie will be at LA Tech for 5 years, especially if he is successful. The only reason Skip Holtz was here for 9 yrs was because he was a bad coach, and no other school wanted him. That's why Holtz doesn't have a college coaching job today.
    This made me think of the time that universities had Freshmen teams. That was a looooong time ago now. Players only really played 3 years at the "Varsity" level. My how times have changed...

+ Reply to Thread