+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Bulldogs to Clash with UTSA at Alamodome - latechsports.com

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Bulldogs to Clash with UTSA at Alamodome - latechsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    I agree that Guice, McClelland, and Holtz have done nothing to lift our football program up...Les is a non-athletic administrator, TommyBoy was an incompetent boot licker, and Skippy just ran the string as long as he could!

When Sonny Cumbie got here all agreed that HCSH's cupboard was bare with a bunch of undisciplined players on the roster. Some good to better players sprinkled in amongst those that probably should have been given "an apple and a roadmap" to quote Coach Mize. Sonny didn't have much to work with IMHO.

Sonny is still learning to be a HC. I don't think he's an asshole like Dooley or a sponge like Dykes...what I've seen of him he appears to be a little softer than I expected. I don't, however, doubt his football smarts or ability.

I'm willing to let him get a recruiting class or two under his belt and in his system (whatever that is) before I want his head on a pike!
    This may well all be true; the point is that we don't have the luxury of giving him the training he needs to be an HC. We needed to hire a HC (or someone with the right skill set). He doesn't have it. Maybe he'll get it. Why do we have to be the ones to give it? That says a great deal about our hiring process.

Maybe it all works out and the Big 12 reaches down and plucks us out of FCS 2.0 in 5 years.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Why pick on TMAC? He wasn't the empty suiter who hired Coach Crummy.

As for Sonny Dykes, he's just the best coach we've had at Tech in a very long time. I suppose Maxie L. can be considered the one to take that "long time" back to. I liked Peace a lot! He was a good coach and had some success here, but he never accomplished what Dykes did and didn't parlay his stint here into success elsewhere.

Crummy, Wood, and Guice all three nothing but empty suits. This team is looking at a 3-9 finish...yes, Charlotte absolutely sucks! they are horrible! But, still better than Crummy's bunch. Or at least, not bad enough to lose unless they implode and commit a bunch of turnovers. Then UAB will use us like a rented mule and whip us by 4 TDs.

Go Dawgs! Beat dem Niners!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    This may well all be true; the point is that we don't have the luxury of giving him the training he needs to be an HC. We needed to hire a HC (or someone with the right skill set). He doesn't have it. Maybe he'll get it. Why do we have to be the ones to give it? That says a great deal about our hiring process.

Maybe it all works out and the Big 12 reaches down and plucks us out of FCS 2.0 in 5 years.
    No. If all that is true (I don't know if it is or not), then you can't tell whether he has "it" or not. The only coach since Tim Rattay was our QB who inherited a roster as messed up as Sonny was Derek Dooley. Dooley got to 5 wins in that first year, but Dooley showed himself not to be a great coach...especially after he left Tech (not saying he didn't move our program in the right direction). Dykes is a hot commodity right now, but he also only won 5 games his first year after inheriting a much better roster than HCSC inherited...and those two didn't have to deal with the Transfer Portal when they were at Tech.

The portal is a reality and a coach has to learn how to work with it if they want to be successful.

The most concerning thing about our football program is that we're not improving week to week. UTSA is legit, but we looked unprepared.

We may not have the luxury of giving a coach training, but we don't have the budget to get a proven coach either. Tech has always had to gamble on their HC selections.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Hearing Cumbie on the radio show this evening I wasn’t impressed. The biggest thing I took from it wasn’t his explanation of what all went wrong during the game, his apologies or what’s going on in practice to try to fix the mess that is Tech. It was how much of a nervous and bumbling sort of speaker he is. I hate to be too critical and maybe it has no bearing on the team but I’m really wondering if he can effectively communicate to the players and even the coaches what he wants.

The other thing that comes to mind like what’s been said before by so many others is that with the team not showing improvement enough to genuinely play better and the repeatedly weird coaching decisions that have taken place, we’re wondering if Cumbie even has it in him to be a good coach. I truly do hope he’s realized his shortcomings and he’s going to seek help in the offseason. Seriously, I hope there are some clinics coaches can go to to analyze themselves and their tendencies that didn’t work and to create a new and improved version of themselves.

The point is that Tech can’t afford for Cumbie to learn this head coaching profession by an extended trial and error. It’s way too costly in lost recruiting power with ugly losing seasons. Good players aren’t going to be coming to a program that stinks.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post
    Hearing Cumbie on the radio show this evening I wasn’t impressed. The biggest thing I took from it wasn’t his explanation of what all went wrong during the game, his apologies or what’s going on in practice to try to fix the mess that is Tech. It was how much of a nervous and bumbling sort of speaker he is. I hate to be too critical and maybe it has no bearing on the team but I’m really wondering if he can effectively communicate to the players and even the coaches what he wants.

The other thing that comes to mind like what’s been said before by so many others is that with the team not showing improvement enough to genuinely play better and the repeatedly weird coaching decisions that have taken place, we’re wondering if Cumbie even has it in him to be a good coach. I truly do hope he’s realized his shortcomings and he’s going to seek help in the offseason. Seriously, I hope there are some clinics coaches can go to to analyze themselves and their tendencies that didn’t work and to create a new and improved version of themselves.

The point is that Tech can’t afford for Cumbie to learn this head coaching profession by an extended trial and error. It’s way too costly in lost recruiting power with ugly losing seasons. Good players aren’t going to be coming to a program that stinks.
    I agree with you. That's why when a school hires a coach in this profession, they have to hire a damn good one. One who is proven.

I haven't watched Cumbie's press conferences in a couple of weeks, but in one I saw a few weeks ago he literally looked like he had the shakes. He couldn't keep his leg still, his arm still, etc... By text, I teased another BBB guy that Cumby needs to lay off the caffeine.

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Why pick on TMAC? He wasn't the empty suiter who hired Coach Crummy.

As for Sonny Dykes, he's just the best coach we've had at Tech in a very long time. I suppose Maxie L. can be considered the one to take that "long time" back to. I liked Peace a lot! He was a good coach and had some success here, but he never accomplished what Dykes did and didn't parlay his stint here into success elsewhere.

Crummy, Wood, and Guice all three nothing but empty suits. This team is looking at a 3-9 finish...yes, Charlotte absolutely sucks! they are horrible! But, still better than Crummy's bunch. Or at least, not bad enough to lose unless they implode and commit a bunch of turnovers. Then UAB will use us like a rented mule and whip us by 4 TDs.

Go Dawgs! Beat dem Niners!
    What about Crowton? I thought he was pretty good.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Tom View Post
    What about Crowton? I thought he was pretty good.
    Crowton was good, but his defenses were HORRIBLE! Under Dykes our defense wasn't stellar but never as bad as Crowton's. His O was lights out though!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Crowton was good, but his defenses were HORRIBLE! Under Dykes our defense wasn't stellar but never as bad as Crowton's. His O was lights out though!
    Dykes O was as good as Franklin who was actually running the offense. Offense was never about how good Dykes was. Our 2011 D was the best it's been since the JRP days. Remember...defense won games for us in 2011, but the same DC got blamed for all the losses in 2012.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Dykes O was as good as Franklin who was actually running the offense. Offense was never about how good Dykes was. Our 2011 D was the best it's been since the JRP days. Remember...defense won games for us in 2011, but the same DC got blamed for all the losses in 2012.
    Spangler had a great connection with the players and got everything he could out of them. Stan Eggen was also a huge part of the recruiting and mentoring at that time. The players were scared of Tommy but Stan added that personal touch that would have the whole team ready to stop a freight train.

That culture started with Dooley and then Dykes continued it with Colby Cameron who was an absolute blessing to the program. Tony Franklin was also a complete bada$$ for us.

+ Reply to Thread