+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sonny Cumbie Press Conference Week 12 - latechsports.com

Big Dog BCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to all

Re: Sonny Cumbie Press Conference Week 12 - latechsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    The scheme isn't all the way installed yet, and that is probably due to the lack of depth and talent. Think of where the Tech defense would be without the two transfers that came from SFA.

Also think of where the defense could have been without injuries. Cedric Woods finally played for the first time this year at UTSA. Tyler Grubbs will probably not play again this year after getting hurt against UTEP. And numerous other players have been in and out with injuries. The lack of depth and injury revolving door have definitely caused the defense to significantly underperform expectations.
    For starters, we lost 3 defensive lineman to the portal after spring practice, all of whom ended up at Texas State. The late departures are what hurt us the most, as Cumbie had little time to replace them. At times this year, because of injury and the late portal departures, we've been without 8 who were expected to start on defense coming out of the spring. 9 if you include Cedric Woods.

And Frisco, you are correct about the defensive scheme. It's not completely installed. That's been clear if you listen to the coach's shows on Monday nights where members of the defensive staff have been interviewed.

It's a complicated system. They've been installing it step by step. That's one of the reasons the SFA transfers have excelled. They've been in this system for multiple years and have the 1,000 plus reps in each aspect of the system to not only run it but teach it to others. They have a much better understanding of what they're trying to accomplish on each play.

The same could be said about certain aspects of our offense. From the stands against MTSU it was obvious that most of the offensive lineman have lost weight since the summer. Carson Bruno mentioned on Bleed Tech Blue radio last Tuesday that the lineman are on a nutrition plan that's had a real impact on each of them and that the weight loss isn't due to the grind of the season.

At most programs true freshman go onto a nutrition plan when they first his campus. That hasn't been true of Tech until this year. That lack of a nutrition program in the past has been used against Tech in recruiting. Unfortunately, our upperclassmen are having to go through it for the first time.

So if you take a step back it's not complicated to see why we are where we are right now record wise.

At the start of the season my head said 4-8, but my heart said 6-6. Under the circumstances, anything more than that was just wishful thinking.

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Wouldn’t we love to know the reason for the player departures after spring especially when you’d think those players would’ve had a fair chance to get a fresh start for themselves under a new coaching staff… curious.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t beat me up for mentioning, but does anyone else wonder about the effects of “different” strength & conditioning scheme?
    It has invaded my mind a few times this season. ???

Varsity Bulldog DawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by OLDBLUE View Post
    Don’t beat me up for mentioning, but does anyone else wonder about the effects of “different” strength & conditioning scheme?
    It has invaded my mind a few times this season. ???
    What do you think the effects are?

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    It's a complicated system. They've been installing it step by step. That's one of the reasons the SFA transfers have excelled. They've been in this system for multiple years and have the 1,000 plus reps in each aspect of the system to not only run it but teach it to others. They have a much better understanding of what they're trying to accomplish on each play.
    I do not doubt what you are saying about the complicated system, but we have way too many missed tackles not related to the system. And I hope we get that fourth win tomorrow.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    There was no indication the program was in shambles last year. Tech nearly beat Miss St, SMU, and NC State. The gripe was that they would have if there was a competent coach who didn’t blow it in the end. The record doesn’t really reflect the talent that was on last year’s team.
    A 3-9 finish? What are you smoking?

Champ Bulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant futureBulldog Tom has a brilliant future Bulldog Tom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    A 3-9 finish? What are you smoking?
    Plus we lost to a team with no QB.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    For starters, we lost 3 defensive lineman to the portal after spring practice, all of whom ended up at Texas State. The late departures are what hurt us the most, as Cumbie had little time to replace them. At times this year, because of injury and the late portal departures, we've been without 8 who were expected to start on defense coming out of the spring. 9 if you include Cedric Woods.

And Frisco, you are correct about the defensive scheme. It's not completely installed. That's been clear if you listen to the coach's shows on Monday nights where members of the defensive staff have been interviewed.

The same could be said about certain aspects of our offense. From the stands against MTSU it was obvious that most of the offensive lineman have lost weight since the summer. Carson Bruno mentioned on Bleed Tech Blue radio last Tuesday that the lineman are on a nutrition plan that's had a real impact on each of them and that the weight loss isn't due to the grind of the season.

At most programs true freshman go onto a nutrition plan when they first his campus. That hasn't been true of Tech until this year. That lack of a nutrition program in the past has been used against Tech in recruiting. Unfortunately, our upperclassmen are having to go through it for the first time.

So if you take a step back it's not complicated to see why we are where we are right now record wise.

At the start of the season my head said 4-8, but my heart said 6-6. Under the circumstances, anything more than that was just wishful thinking.

BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that installing such a complicated "Defensive scheme" is foolish in and of itself. Why would any coach saddle your defense with such a complicated and complex system, especially when your defense is manned by a bunch of transfer portal vagabonds who CAN'T SIMPLY TACKLE anyway?

LA Tech's defense is currently ranked #126 (out of 131 FBS schools) in TOTAL DEFENSE in the nation. Obviously "complicated" isn't helping.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/...ent/team/22/p3

KISS Method. Keep it simple stupid.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    There was no indication the program was in shambles last year. Tech nearly beat Miss St, SMU, and NC State. The gripe was that they would have if there was a competent coach who didn’t blow it in the end. The record doesn’t really reflect the talent that was on last year’s team.
    Remind me again when those three games happened? Oh, that's right...on and before October 2.

The program was not in shambles up to the North Carolina State game. But the clock fiasco at the end of that game broke the spirit of the team after the Mississippi State and SMU finishes. Tech was 2-2 going into Raleigh and limped home the rest of the year at 1-7. Skippy's house of cards finally collapsed after losing to the Wolfpack.

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

I guess I get the idea of it being a “thing” to have a new system that may or may not really be complicated… But we’re not talking about 8 year olds just learning to play the game. We’re talking about athletes who have probably been playing the game since they were 8. Surely in all that time they’ve learned something about position play and the fundamentals football.

Just play the game with passion and intelligence and I think the outcome will be better.

I know this… in my high school sophomore year we lost a championship 52-0. Ouch, right!!! Well, the next year the coaches installed a whole new offense and defense and the result was we won the championship beating the same school 12-6. So, obviously players who care, pay attention and apply themselves can adjust to change and make it work.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    Remind me again when those three games happened? Oh, that's right...on and before October 2.

The program was not in shambles up to the North Carolina State game. But the clock fiasco at the end of that game broke the spirit of the team after the Mississippi State and SMU finishes. Tech was 2-2 going into Raleigh and limped home the rest of the year at 1-7. Skippy's house of cards finally collapsed after losing to the Wolfpack.
    That’s what I think too. The team was very talented. The QB getting hurt didn’t help either though.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post
    I guess I get the idea of it being a “thing” to have a new system that may or may not really be complicated… But we’re not talking about 8 year olds just learning to play the game. We’re talking about athletes who have probably been playing the game since they were 8. Surely in all that time they’ve learned something about position play and the fundamentals football.

Just play the game with passion and intelligence and I think the outcome will be better.

I know this… in my high school sophomore year we lost a championship 52-0. Ouch, right!!! Well, the next year the coaches installed a whole new offense and defense and the result was we won the championship beating the same school 12-6. So, obviously players who care, pay attention and apply themselves can adjust to change and make it work.
    How dare you!

We are La Tech and such truisms don't apply here.

Bulldog veerbone has turned a few heads around hereveerbone has turned a few heads around hereveerbone has turned a few heads around hereveerbone has turned a few heads around hereveerbone has turned a few heads around here veerbone's Avatar

Cumbie done fine. Holtz built a finesse program and we were a soft football team the last two years. Gonna take some time to change that. I'm not a fan of the defensive scheme but the injuries made a huge impact considering the lack of experience.

I feel like we're headed in the right direction but it's gonna take time.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by veerbone View Post
    Cumbie done fine. Holtz built a finesse program and we were a soft football team the last two years. Gonna take some time to change that. I'm not a fan of the defensive scheme but the injuries made a huge impact considering the lack of experience.

I feel like we're headed in the right direction but it's gonna take time.
    I can see you are a member of the Champ110 Eternal Optimist Club.

That's fine, we need some of that around here too.

+ Reply to Thread