+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal 2023

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Re: Transfer Portal 2023

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    Oh, Jesus Christ. People leave their jobs every single day for different jobs. This is no different. The college sports landscape has changed. It's a player empowerment era. It's no different than what happens in the real world every single day.
    It's a bit of both here. Yes people leave there jobs every single day for different jobs... usually leaving their current job after having another job ready to go (not always but a lot of the time). A couple of recent polls and studies are showing consistently between 40-45% of the kids don't find a new team with only about 4-5% of those kids returning to their original school.

If 40% of employees in any field in America quit and then didn't find a job.... yikes.. its like real life in that these kids a selling a particular skill set and can't be "retrained" either.

We have seen a continuation of the instant gratification/success model get worse and worse... There isn't a way to fix it easily. The system took advantage of its labor force to the tune of billions of dollars and that time has changed. Player/employee empowerment hasn't been this high in a very long time, but empowerment with out direction on how to use it is going to destroy the smaller schools and in the process hurt a lot of the players as well.

Small schools may have to return to the mission of education and if they want sports Div II and III might be the landing spot.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

What if Scholarships were handled like coaching contracts? 4 years. If you leave, the place you go has to “buy” your scholarship. If you drop out, quit, or leave early, scholarship is revoked and you owe the balance. If it’s good enough for coaches, then it’s good enough for athletes who front as students.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

I don't think that is a bad idea, but lets be honest. Lets not call the scholarships anymore because of all the NIL etc. Let's just call them contract- these guys will learn a very valuable lesson for the business they want to be in.

We will pay you x (cost of school) + y (Possible Cost of living, NIL etc.) and in return you will provide us z (service) for 4 years. If at any time your transfer to another school said school is responsible for the remainder of your service to be paid in full before your first game of the new institution. If you quit, drop out, etc you are responsible for the remainder of your service to be paid in full. If payment is not rendered in the agreed upon time frame, a noncompete enters into force and you are bound from performing for whatever terms are agreed upon.

Problem is all schools would have to agree to the system and I am not sure they would. It wouldn't stop the SEC or Big X from buying every good player in the country, but at least the small school would recoup something (money) instead of simply losing the player for free.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    It's a bit of both here. Yes people leave there jobs every single day for different jobs... usually leaving their current job after having another job ready to go (not always but a lot of the time). A couple of recent polls and studies are showing consistently between 40-45% of the kids don't find a new team with only about 4-5% of those kids returning to their original school.

If 40% of employees in any field in America quit and then didn't find a job.... yikes.. its like real life in that these kids a selling a particular skill set and can't be "retrained" either.

We have seen a continuation of the instant gratification/success model get worse and worse... There isn't a way to fix it easily. The system took advantage of its labor force to the tune of billions of dollars and that time has changed. Player/employee empowerment hasn't been this high in a very long time, but empowerment with out direction on how to use it is going to destroy the smaller schools and in the process hurt a lot of the players as well.

Small schools may have to return to the mission of education and if they want sports Div II and III might be the landing spot.
    DD, Keep this in mind.

The vast majority of kids who can't find another school after entering the portal did so because they were cut. They didn't quit.

They've been told their scholarship isn't being renewed. In real world terms they were fired.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    DD, Keep this in mind.

The vast majority of kids who can't find another school after entering the portal did so because they were cut. They didn't quit.

They've been told their scholarship isn't being renewed. In real world terms they were fired.
    I've been shocked how much uproar there's been from people saying __% of these kids in the portal are going to be shocked when they don't have anywhere to play. (You fill in the blank on that percentage. It could be 35, 40, 50.) In the past, these kids were cut and either gave up the game or resurfaced at some small school close to home. We've always lost kids by attrition to make way for new kids to come through the system. The portal just gives those kids a formal opportunity to land another place to play. Maybe they can connect with a D-II school in Missouri that they'd never know about and get to continue playing on a partial scholarship. That's a good thing. Right now, the portal isn't the problem. The problem remains the fact that we have players utilizing their extra Covid eligibility to continue their careers, which is squeezing out the fringes of the roster (whether those are original 4-year signees, JUCO guys or incoming HS kids). Eventually, there will be no more Covid eligibility and these roster numbers will start to go back to normal.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    I've been shocked how much uproar there's been from people saying __% of these kids in the portal are going to be shocked when they don't have anywhere to play. (You fill in the blank on that percentage. It could be 35, 40, 50.) In the past, these kids were cut and either gave up the game or resurfaced at some small school close to home. We've always lost kids by attrition to make way for new kids to come through the system. The portal just gives those kids a formal opportunity to land another place to play. Maybe they can connect with a D-II school in Missouri that they'd never know about and get to continue playing on a partial scholarship. That's a good thing. Right now, the portal isn't the problem. The problem remains the fact that we have players utilizing their extra Covid eligibility to continue their careers, which is squeezing out the fringes of the roster (whether those are original 4-year signees, JUCO guys or incoming HS kids). Eventually, there will be no more Covid eligibility and these roster numbers will start to go back to normal.
    I agree that it's not the portal per se (that's just a way to make the process easier). But it's not just the COVID year, the main issue (that won't go away even when that part washes out) is the one time transfer without sitting out.

I'm not necessarily against it, but that plus the extra year plus the convenience of the portal to find guys who want to leave (both directions) is making the current situation a mess. Will it be less of a mess when the extra year cycles through and they continue to refine the transfer window and the high school scouting catches up from the COVID messiness? Yeah, less of one - but I think there is still going to be way more movement than we're used to. I think it will level out enough to be fine. But I'm not totally sure about that.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

All I know is I can’t wait to see our new QB in action in a second-year Cumbie offense. We showed some flashes last year and after a full off season and letting some guys go and bringing in new ones I really am getting excited for the season. I know, I know. I can’t help it.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post
    All I know is I can’t wait to see our new QB in action in a second-year Cumbie offense. We showed some flashes last year and after a full off season and letting some guys go and bringing in new ones I really am getting excited for the season. I know, I know. I can’t help it.
    I feel the same optimism, but everyone expects that from me.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Everytime this thread gets bumped I open it a little nervously.

I don't necessarily wish ill on them, and certainly never hope for injuries as in what happened to Tre Harris (hope he recovers completely and then drops everything after that).

But I can't say I'm necessarily really broken up that Bub Means had like 11 targets and zero catches for Pitt.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I don't necessarily wish ill on them, and certainly never hope for injuries as in what happened to Tre Harris (hope he recovers completely and then drops everything after that).

But I can't say I'm necessarily really broken up that Bub Means had like 11 targets and zero catches for Pitt.
    I wondered what happened to him. He caught a TD pass in Q1 and then disappeared.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Hank in the portal. The list will grow quickly now.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

On the other thread it talked about the 2 million dollar buy out.

The issue is if you DON’T fire Cumbie, you risk losing a LOT more than 2 million.

Our AD is a perfect example of the Peter principle. He’s in over his head and has no clue what to do.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Hank in the portal. The list will grow quickly now.
    I honestly didn’t know he had eligibility left. Wasn’t expecting another year of him.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Unfortunately, Tech, like most universities, has a lot of high-level employees that have met and exceeded the expectations of the Peter principle. The latest craze is to just add more people with big titles (and salaries) underneath with the same shortcomings.

Athletics is the perfect example...head coaches, assistant head coaches, associate head coaches, assistant coaches, associate coaches, administrators, game managers, managers, etc, etc, etc...our's has more that 80 employees! It's a business, a big business, that requires a businessman...not someone worried about titles and having a Chief of Staff!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

+ Reply to Thread