+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal 2023

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Transfer Portal 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post
    I get it about how important it is to have a really good and competent QB. What I’d prefer to portal transfer guys who may or may not be good one after another every year or two is to be able to develop those kinds of players. We’ve got QBs on the bench and more recruited QBs coming in so let’s stick with what we’ve got and help them be their best. Why would a recruited QB come here if we’re constantly kicking them to the curb for some other team’s deserter?
    I’m feeling pretty pessimistic tonight, but why invest time in a kid who is going to transfer the first chance he gets after getting some film on himself at Tech?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I’m feeling pretty pessimistic tonight, but why invest time in a kid who is going to transfer the first chance he gets after getting some film on himself at Tech?
    That's why our players have got to experience WINNING at LA Tech. Winning develops friendships, teamwork and camaraderie amongst players. Having those relationships and winning makes it a lot less likely that they will choose to leave. When a team member is losing all the time, experiencing injuries and doesn't feel hopeful about the future, the probability they will transfer out skyrockets.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    So. we just lost our best player to the portal.

If nothing else, this makes it easy now. Cumby can now take some risks in recruiting and the transfer portal. He can either let this "Grubbs news" bury him and his career, or he can say "screw that", get off his ass and flood LA Tech with quality and edge recruits. Nobody's position is safe. There are no protected players or positions at LA Tech. But there's a lot of "playing time" to promise new recruits if you need to do so.

Burn this one to the ground, and start over. BUILD WHAT YOU WANT, Cumby. This probably needed to happen anyway.

To our ADMINISTRATORS: This is what happens when schools let someone like Skip Holtz hang around far too long and destroy the roots of a good program. LA Tech fans figured this out way back in 2016 and 2017. That's when fans started voting with their feet and boycotting JAS games because they HATED the Skip Holtz "style of play" and did not like J'Mar Smith at QB. It's a fact. You can trace all of today's problems back to 2016 & 2017. The JAS crowds have continued to get smaller and smaller ever since. The fans figured it out a long tine ago. Why didn't our administration?
    2014-2016 was a good time. 2019 was a good season but not as fun to watch as 2016’s offense.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

It’s weird how quickly things change. A few years ago it was considered bad recruiting to stock up on JUCO guys instead of high school players. Now it’s completely flipped, a coach needs to recruit the portal first and then see what’s leftover for high school kids. The way Dykes did it is how we will have to build a program if we’re going to be successful.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I keep telling myself that it's going to level out. It just has to.
    This year's transfer portal is a lot of the class from the covid year, when there weren't camps, visits, and in some cases any or much high school ball. So it was always going to be a crazy portal year.

But it's not fun.

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

To me, Grubbs leaving says a whole lot about the status of Tech as a program and more to the point, the defense. I base my thinking on the fact that Grubbs was a skyrocket type player who came out of nowhere from within Holtz’s recruits who might’ve never played if not for everyone else getting hurt. Grubbs was undoubtedly Tech’s MVP. Without him on the field we’re an easily more noticeably worse team. He’s the type of hard nosed naturally gifted player that a coach can build a defense around. And he was that for every year he was healthy enough to play. Grubbs downfall came from caring too much and playing too hard to make up for all the lesser athletes he had to try to cover for. He hurt himself trying to play the positions of 3 guys at once. Him leaving tells us we’re a bad team with a dim future led by coaches he doesn’t think are capable of turning things around in the time he has left to play college ball. It’s sad and embarrassing.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

To me, Grubbs leaving says a whole lot about the status of Tech as a program and more to the point, the defense. I base my thinking on the fact that Grubbs was a skyrocket type player who came out of nowhere from within Holtz’s recruits who might’ve never played if not for everyone else getting hurt. Grubbs was undoubtedly Tech’s MVP. Without him on the field we’re an easily more noticeably worse team. He’s the type of hard nosed naturally gifted player that a coach can build a defense around. And he was that for every year he was healthy enough to play. Grubbs downfall came from caring too much and playing too hard to make up for all the lesser athletes he had to try to cover for. He hurt himself trying to play the positions of 3 guys at once. Him leaving tells us we’re a bad team with a dim future led by coaches he doesn’t think are capable of turning things around in the time he has left to play college ball. It’s sad and embarrassing.
    Well, that or he thinks he can get more money and a higher profile elsewhere.

Big Dog Heavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really niceHeavyarms is just really nice Heavyarms's Avatar

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Well, that or he thinks he can get more money and a higher profile elsewhere.
    Correct. It has to do with opportunity.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    So. we just lost our best player to the portal.

If nothing else, this makes it easy now. Cumby can now take some risks in recruiting and the transfer portal. He can either let this "Grubbs news" bury him and his career, or he can say "screw that", get off his ass and flood LA Tech with quality and edge recruits. Nobody's position is safe. There are no protected players or positions at LA Tech. But there's a lot of "playing time" to promise new recruits if you need to do so.

Burn this one to the ground, and start over. BUILD WHAT YOU WANT, Cumby. This probably needed to happen anyway.

To our ADMINISTRATORS: This is what happens when schools let someone like Skip Holtz hang around far too long and destroy the roots of a good program. LA Tech fans figured this out way back in 2016 and 2017. That's when fans started voting with their feet and boycotting JAS games because they HATED the Skip Holtz "style of play" and did not like J'Mar Smith at QB. It's a fact. You can trace all of today's problems back to 2016 & 2017. The JAS crowds have continued to get smaller and smaller ever since. The fans figured it out a long tine ago. Why didn't our administration?
    HD: 2016 with Trent Taylor, Carlos Henderson, and Ryan Higgins was fine. 2017 and 2018 were the problem.

And the Administration didn't figure it out because they were as big a problem as Holtz. Behind the scenes they mismanaged the rollout of COA and our budget in general, so much so that Holtz had to publicly call out our AD at the time.

Combine Skip's issues with his offense, staff turnover, and finishing out big games and an Administration at the top that didn't really know what was going on around it and you see where we are today.

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Correct. It has to do with opportunity.
    Last year we lost a ton and brought in a ton. I wasn't really broken up about any one guy that left, even though I'd have rather they stayed (and the numbers weren't great). Means was really the only one to have moved "up" right? Grubbs leaving hurts, but that's the risk these days of having a young player blow up. From now on, freshman all-American status is going to be a pretty mixed blessing for us (I guess it kind of always is, since it means you're playing a freshman a lot of minutes, it's just that it used to correlate a little more with 3 more years of good play).

A healthy Grubbs all season might have been worth another W or two this season, don't you think? A healthy Grubbs and Means back? That is maybe the difference in some of our closer losses.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    I’ve been sick of this ridiculous game for years. This crap is not worth the time or the price of the greatly over priced tickets.
    That's why I'm enjoying D2 ball at Harding.
    It is what it is.
    $10-15 tickets/free parking. Not too shabby on the tailgating.
    2.5-hour ballgames.
    And my guy's on scholarship. Excellent school. Solid coaching staff that I respect.
    Vying for a national playoff each season.

But that's me. You'd have ask my guy for his opinion on all this.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Bulldog Tech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the roughTech79 is a jewel in the rough Tech79's Avatar

Grubbs reminds me a lot of Chad Beverage from back in 2005-2006. He started out like gangbusters and was everywhere on the field, making incredible tackles. But carrying that load by yourself as linebacker must really take a toll. I think he was injured during his sophomore year and never played anywhere again, as far as I know. It was obvious Grubbs was shouldering a load like that for the last two years himself.

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    That's why I'm enjoying D2 ball at Harding.
    It is what it is.
    $10-15 tickets/free parking. Not too shabby on the tailgating.
    2.5-hour ballgames.
    And my guy's on scholarship. Excellent school. Solid coaching staff that I respect.
    Vying for a national playoff each season.

But that's me. You'd have ask my guy for his opinion on all this.
    This is why I watch the FCS playoffs closer than the bowls. Just an all around better environment.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

College football is basically unwatchable now. Might as well watch the NFL.

There’s no real reason for a school like Tech to invest in Football. The current NIL, COA, and Transfer realities make it virtually impossible to suceed without massive amounts of money being dumped into the program.

+ Reply to Thread