+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonny Dykes really didnt have to say it

Varsity Bulldog Exes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really nice

Sonny Dykes really didnt have to say it

Yesterday, during one his pre game interviews, he talked about his first head coaching job at La Tech. He had all his Texas ties and came with a plan to build Louisiana Tech with recruits from Houston and the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Said there was just one problem, "Those kids werent interested in coming to Ruston".

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Sonny Dykes really didnt have to say it

Quote Originally Posted by Exes&Ohs View Post
    Yesterday, during one his pre game interviews, he talked about his first head coaching job at La Tech. He had all his Texas ties and came with a plan to build Louisiana Tech with recruits from Houston and the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Said there was just one problem, "Those kids werent interested in coming to Ruston".
    Well now that we've got a Buccees everything will turn around

Varsity Bulldog Brad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud of

I am glad he was stomped tonight. If Sonny holds true to form, he will be shamelessly prostituting himself out for a better gig in a year or two (if he isn’t already) like he did at Tech, Cal and SMU.

I think there is a better chance of him drying up and blowing away than him making it to another CFP championship game.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    I am glad he was stomped tonight. If Sonny holds true to form, he will be shamelessly prostituting himself out for a better gig in a year or two (if he isn’t already) like he did at Tech, Cal and SMU.

I think there is a better chance of him drying up and blowing away than him making it to another CFP championship game.
    TCU had a perfect storm this year. Big 12 overall was good but had no great teams, including TCU. 9 wins of 10 points or less. OOC schedule at Colorado, Tarleton State, and at SMU.

Will be a tough act to duplicate ever again.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post

I'll take Dykes back at Tech any day. Only a MILLION times better than the joke we have now. Of course, that train has left the station and Dykes is on a much higher plain than Tech Football will ever see.

Yep, Dykes is a mercenary chasing the paychecks and the next big gig. And it is also true he left us hanging at the end of 2012 season when he was busier negotiating with Cal instead of focusing on Utah State, San Jose State and getting us that Orange Bowl bid. But that Orange Bowl would never have been in the cards if not for Dykes in the first place.

The college football blogs are lit up with jokes and stabs at TCU (and the Big 12), the SEC crowd is out crowing, of course, but Dykes inherited a program coming off a 5-7 season and losing seasons, in what 4 of the last 5 years, and took them all the way to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! All in his first year too. Coaches are not supposed to accomplish anything, some believe, for at least 3 seasons.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Exes&Ohs View Post
    I'm not sure the point you're trying to make...?

But to add some context to the quote. Sonny and his staff initially were looking at 4-star recruits from Houston and Dallas. They attempted to recruit the same type of kids he recruited at Arizona, kids that had multiple offers from Big 12 schools.

They quickly realized they were wasting their time recruiting kids who had offers from schools like Baylor, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State and were taking visits to places like Austin and College Station. It's the same lesson Lane Kiffin learned in his first few weeks at FAU.

I'll add this - Sonny had some great recruiting stories.
    Last edited by The Historian; 01-10-2023 at 07:07 AM.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    I'm not sure the point you're trying to make...?

But to add some context to the quote. Sonny and his staff initially were looking at 4-star recruits from Houston and Dallas. They attempted to recruit the same type of kids he recruited at Arizona, kids that had multiple offers from Big 12 schools.

They quickly realized they were wasting their time recruiting kids who had offers from schools like Baylor, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State and were taking visits to places like Austin and College Station. It's the same lesson Lane Kiffin learned in his first few weeks at FAU.

I'll add this - Sonny had some great recruiting stories.
    what’s interesting is that the modern era of mercenary college football fits recruiting yearly transfers and jucos rather than investing in high school student athletes who may or may not stick around.

for schools our size we are either going the juco/transfer route or sending all our recruits to other schools once they develop here.

It is pick your poison.

I think Cumbie will go the juco/transfer route.

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

The more I think about it, the more I think the high school players that Tech will end up being able to bring to campus either aren’t going to really be good enough to play or they‘re going to get impatient waiting to develop to play and they’ll leave after a couple of years. Unless it changes somehow this whole transfer system and NIL is going to turn college football into a revolving door type of system like minor league baseball is. Players just bounce around here and there until they finally give up and drop out. At least with Juco players you only have to hold their interest a year or two and not 4.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

This will separate the good (truly good) coaches from the lousy ones. Anyone who has coached recreational sports year after year learns how to build a team from scratch...year after year. Usually, a coach has his own kids, maybe a neighbor's kid, and the rest total strangers. . Of course, it's a level playing field since all the coaches are dealing with the same issues.

Gonna be interesting.

Maybe it'll get to the point a player can transfer mid-season and be eligible to play. Play for one school in September and be elsewhere come October. Maybe even play against the school you just left!

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    This will separate the good (truly good) coaches from the lousy ones. Anyone who has coached recreational sports year after year learns how to build a team from scratch...year after year. Usually, a coach has his own kids, maybe a neighbor's kid, and the rest total strangers. . Of course, it's a level playing field since all the coaches are dealing with the same issues.

Gonna be interesting.

Maybe it'll get to the point a player can transfer mid-season and be eligible to play. Play for one school in September and be elsewhere come October. Maybe even play against the school you just left!
    It’s sad, but it’s what will work best for now for schools like Tech. Shop the market for players rather than recruit high schools for potential players.

I can see FCS schools become a development school for FBS to shop from.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

The portal and NIL have made the NCAA irrelevant...not sure how long it will survive.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

It’s like everything else, the people in the seats don’t matter. It doesn’t even matter if anyone is watching on TV. The bigger programs will only get more dense with power and everyone else… tough shit, no one cares.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it over and will forever be this way? Do you see potential for a collapse of this system and a return to amateur sports?

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

It’s really ignorant for Tech to recruit a HS kid unless they can play immediately, otherwise you’re just wasting your time. I would be very heavy JUCO every year.
    The portal has ruined amateur athletics, and I’m not sure it ever goes back to any semblance of normal ever again. I didn’t watch a single bowl game this year, and probably didn’t watch many quarters of football all year long. I’m not alone either. I wish the P5 would split off and make themselves a pro league and let the G5 go back to being amateur athletics again.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Is it over and will forever be this way? Do you see potential for a collapse of this system and a return to amateur sports?
    The bubble has to pop eventually. The question is where we are in that process? Can the bigs survive undercutting all their farm teams (G5s and most of P5)? Eventually those teams will die or drop so low it'll be irrelevant, like Tech is heading.

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    It’s really ignorant for Tech to recruit a HS kid unless they can play immediately, otherwise you’re just wasting your time. I would be very heavy JUCO every year.
    The portal has ruined amateur athletics, and I’m not sure it ever goes back to any semblance of normal ever again. I didn’t watch a single bowl game this year, and probably didn’t watch many quarters of football all year long. I’m not alone either. I wish the P5 would split off and make themselves a pro league and let the G5 go back to being amateur athletics again.
    Why buy a cow when you can get the milk for free?

+ Reply to Thread