+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time for a lesson from Sonja Hogg?

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Time for a lesson from Sonja Hogg?

Quote Originally Posted by jycww View Post
    Granted, I am going back to the days of Sonja and Leon, but was WBB a non-revenue sport when they were selling out every home game? Personally, I would think that if you have a winning program, one that consistently plays / competes (notice I didn't say always win) with the big guys, wins conference championships, makes a good showing in the NCAAW tournament, that sport could become revenue generating (albeit not on the same level as MBB, Football, etc.). Winning begets becoming relative and increasing attendance. Winning and getting noticed brings better teams in, which increases attendance. In other words, do what you have to do (i.e. getting a coach that can win and make a difference at La Tech), become relevant and see what happens. I would bet that the attendance would increase, more $$$ would flow in, and certainly you would have a better product and chance than what you do now.

I have relatives in North Louisiana that had been season ticket holders to WBB for at least 15 years if not more. They just gave them up and said why do we want to continue to drive to Ruston and see a poorly coached team night after night? In their words, until Tech cares, why should we?

Certainly, if you still believe that it will always be a non-revenue sport, then I would think we can still do better than what we currently have. To argue otherwise and say it really doesn't matter, then go and get a coach from middle school somewhere, let him/her coach the team. We would at least save $$$ but still have the same record, in all likelihood. If the record ends up being worse, who cares because it isn't a revenue generating sport (in yours or others words).
    When did Tech "sell out" every WBB home game?

Only the last couple of years in Memorial Gym were near total capacity, and at least a quarter of those crowds were students. So that was about 3,500 at most in average paid attendance. And even the best year (1983-84) after the move to the TAC saw the average WBB attendance at 5,330 (2/3 capacity) with no other year over a 5,000 average. Still a quarter of those crowds were students, so in the best year 4,000 average paid.

WBB has never been a revenue sport at Tech and never will be. MBB is closer to being a revenue sport only because of the NCAA Tournament and other revenue distributions.

Back to the point at hand....
    A sport's revenue status should have nothing to do with the standards expected from its coaching staff. Tech needed the stability that Brooke provided at the time she was hired. But that stability has turned into stagnation. Need to see some significant improvement in results over the next six weeks to consider maintaining the status quo.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Just three times that I have seen every seat in the TAC filled...

the 1985 SLC Tourney, the Dunkin Dawgs (2 games)
    the 1998 home game vs. Tennessee, Lady Techsters

Not just a sellout, but 100% of the seats filled.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    Free advertising of the name...the window through which most of the world sees a university is its athletic programs. You win and play on TV and in extra tournaments, you advertise!
    Are you advertising through WBB? Is anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by tigtoo30 View Post
    Sad thing was...WE were the big guys (or gals, don't mean to offend), but Reneau didn't think is was plausible that Tech could succeed. Therefore, Mulkey and even Eagles moved on to better pastures. You have to have the leadership to move forward and build on success. I was at Tech in the 80's...(late 80's), and I've seen how Tech can build non-revenue sports. When I was at Tech, football was OK, but WBB, MBB, Baseball and softball were the bomb.

I'm just not feeling it now. Better facilities, but lacking in talent. Maybe it's the portal, but my Tech family, until something changes to re-ignite the Tech faithful, we are in trouble.
    Sad thing is eventually we would have lost the budget race anyway. But I prefer to be beaten openly than shooting myself in the foot.

Bulldog jycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post

Only the last couple of years in Memorial Gym were near total capacity, and at least a quarter of those crowds were students. So that was about 3,500 at most in average paid attendance. And even the best year (1983-84) after the move to the TAC saw the average WBB attendance at 5,330 (2/3 capacity) with no other year over a 5,000 average. Still a quarter of those crowds were students, so in the best year 4,000 average paid.

WBB has never been a revenue sport at Tech and never will be. MBB is closer to being a revenue sport only because of the NCAA Tournament and other revenue distributions.

Back to the point at hand....
    A sport's revenue status should have nothing to do with the standards expected from its coaching staff. Tech needed the stability that Brooke provided at the time she was hired. But that stability has turned into stagnation. Need to see some significant improvement in results over the next six weeks to consider maintaining the status quo.
    I graduated in 81 so the times I am referring to were in Memorial Gym while I was there (77-81) and maybe the following couple of years. And while I agree that 1/4 of those were students, I would have thought during that time that they were a revenue sport.

Varsity Bulldog jbgood57 seems to have something between the earsjbgood57 seems to have something between the earsjbgood57 seems to have something between the earsjbgood57 seems to have something between the earsjbgood57 seems to have something between the earsjbgood57 seems to have something between the ears

Must be a newby to Techsters WBB
    Mosty games during Barmore's coaching days in the TAC were at least 80% full with UConn, Tennessee, Northeast, Western Kentucky, along with Regional Hosted games standing room only.
    As far as the days in Memorial Gym by year 3 of the program it was always standing room only.

Varsity Bulldog jbgood57 seems to have something between the earsjbgood57 seems to have something between the earsjbgood57 seems to have something between the earsjbgood57 seems to have something between the earsjbgood57 seems to have something between the earsjbgood57 seems to have something between the ears

Glad to see this thread finally got back to discussing WBB.
    Not sure how page two turned into a football conversation

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Before there was a TAC, Memorial would have 5000+ (I think it held ~4,000) for big games and SRO for everything else...it was fun.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbgood57 View Post
    Glad to see this thread finally got back to discussing WBB.
    Not sure how page two turned into a football conversation
    Because even after a fact check you still believe what did not happen. Nobody cares about girls basketball except a hand full of WBB fans. I bet you loved Biden’s mumbling speech last night

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Because even after a fact check you still believe what did not happen. Nobody cares about girls basketball except a hand full of WBB fans. I bet you loved Biden’s mumbling speech last night
    who's that?

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jbgood57 View Post
    Must be a newby to Techsters WBB
    Mosty games during Barmore's coaching days in the TAC were at least 80% full with UConn, Tennessee, Northeast, Western Kentucky, along with Regional Hosted games standing room only.
    As far as the days in Memorial Gym by year 3 of the program it was always standing room only.
    I'm no newbie.

And I posted that 5,330 was the biggest Tech average attendance for ANY season in the TAC. There were many nights of 80%+ crowds in the TAC, but also many around 40% full in those same seasons. Tech has only averaged over 4,000 a game for a season 4 times in the TAC.

Going back to Memorial Gym days, the first Final Four team in 1978-79 didn't draw over 3,604 for any game that year. Tech drew over 5,200 twice at home in 20 games in 1979-80. Tech hit the fire marshal imposed limit of 5,200 five times in 13 games in 1980-81 with four home games under 3,000 that year. The 5,200 limit was reached only twice in 1981-82 with two sub-3,000 crowds.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

I'm no newbie.

And I posted that 5,330 was the biggest Tech average attendance for ANY season in the TAC. There were many nights of 80%+ crowds in the TAC, but also many around 40% full in those same seasons. Tech has only averaged over 4,000 a game for a season 4 times in the TAC.

Going back to Memorial Gym days, the first Final Four team in 1978-79 didn't draw over 3,604 for any game that year. Tech drew over 5,200 twice at home in 20 games in 1979-80. Tech hit the fire marshal imposed limit of 5,200 five times in 13 games in 1980-81 with four home games under 3,000 that year. The 5,200 limit was reached only twice in 1981-82 with two sub-3,000 crowds.
    Yep. If you weren't at Memorial by 4:30 pm you weren't getting in. As the upper level reserved seating was limited to the usual locals whose families now dominate the blue/DAC/Skybox at the Joe. Amazing how they can buy all those sections, but not fill them up with friends and employees for a visual sellout.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Just three times that I have seen every seat in the TAC filled...

the 1985 SLC Tourney, the Dunkin Dawgs (2 games)
    the 1998 home game vs. Tennessee, Lady Techsters

Not just a sellout, but 100% of the seats filled.
    I seem to recall a Lady Techster game against Cheryl Miller and the USC Lady Trojans in the 1983 or '84 "timeframe". I had to sit in the nosebleed section. The TAC was packed that night.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I seem to recall a Lady Techster game against Cheryl Miller and the USC Lady Trojans in the 1983 or '84 "timeframe". I had to sit in the nosebleed section. The TAC was packed that night.
    Remember that game, but I wasn't there in person.

Varsity Bulldog dawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her game

Techsters lost to USC in their inaugural game at TAC in 1982, but whipped them in 1986 when they had Cheryl Miller.

Varsity Bulldog dawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her game

Techsters lost to USC in their inaugural game at the TAC in 1982, but whipped the Trojans in Ruston in 1996 when USC had Cheryl Miller.

+ Reply to Thread