Quote Originally Posted by jycww View Post
Granted, I am going back to the days of Sonja and Leon, but was WBB a non-revenue sport when they were selling out every home game? Personally, I would think that if you have a winning program, one that consistently plays / competes (notice I didn't say always win) with the big guys, wins conference championships, makes a good showing in the NCAAW tournament, that sport could become revenue generating (albeit not on the same level as MBB, Football, etc.). Winning begets becoming relative and increasing attendance. Winning and getting noticed brings better teams in, which increases attendance. In other words, do what you have to do (i.e. getting a coach that can win and make a difference at La Tech), become relevant and see what happens. I would bet that the attendance would increase, more $$$ would flow in, and certainly you would have a better product and chance than what you do now.

I have relatives in North Louisiana that had been season ticket holders to WBB for at least 15 years if not more. They just gave them up and said why do we want to continue to drive to Ruston and see a poorly coached team night after night? In their words, until Tech cares, why should we?

Certainly, if you still believe that it will always be a non-revenue sport, then I would think we can still do better than what we currently have. To argue otherwise and say it really doesn't matter, then go and get a coach from middle school somewhere, let him/her coach the team. We would at least save $$$ but still have the same record, in all likelihood. If the record ends up being worse, who cares because it isn't a revenue generating sport (in yours or others words).
When did Tech "sell out" every WBB home game?

Only the last couple of years in Memorial Gym were near total capacity, and at least a quarter of those crowds were students. So that was about 3,500 at most in average paid attendance. And even the best year (1983-84) after the move to the TAC saw the average WBB attendance at 5,330 (2/3 capacity) with no other year over a 5,000 average. Still a quarter of those crowds were students, so in the best year 4,000 average paid.

WBB has never been a revenue sport at Tech and never will be. MBB is closer to being a revenue sport only because of the NCAA Tournament and other revenue distributions.

Back to the point at hand....
A sport's revenue status should have nothing to do with the standards expected from its coaching staff. Tech needed the stability that Brooke provided at the time she was hired. But that stability has turned into stagnation. Need to see some significant improvement in results over the next six weeks to consider maintaining the status quo.