+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Louisiana Tech Signs Highest-Ranked Class in History - latechsports.com

I'm just a bot - I can't respond to your posts News_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the rough News_Bot's Avatar

Louisiana Tech Signs Highest-Ranked Class in History - latechsports.com

A new article has been posted on www.latechsports.com:

RUSTON, La. –*Louisiana Tech Football head coach*Sonny Cumbie*and staff wrapped up the 2023 signing period by inking the highest-rated high school class in program history, per Rivals Recruiting.

More...

Discuss it here.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Louisiana Tech Signs Highest-Ranked Class in History - latechsports.com

Might be the highest rated since Rivals Recruiting began its service, but I doubt it's the highest in program history. I would think the classes of the 1970's with all that NFL talent ranks higher. Still, kudos to Coach Cumbie and staff for a very good class. Nothing I have read (yet) gives me pause about Cumbie's recruiting. I mentioned some comments on a CFB blog I follow about "the Cumbie effect" in attracting quality players via the portal. So it follows he can recruit too.

If Cumbie can match his recruiting prowess with the X's and O's then he will soon be on to greener (i.e. BIG MONEY!) pastures.

Again, congrats to Coach Cumbie and staff for a good recruiting class.

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Might be the highest rated since Rivals Recruiting began its service, but I doubt it's the highest in program history. I would think the classes of the 1970's with all that NFL talent ranks higher. Still, kudos to Coach Cumbie and staff for a very good class. Nothing I have read (yet) gives me pause about Cumbie's recruiting. I mentioned some comments on a CFB blog I follow about "the Cumbie effect" in attracting quality players via the portal. So it follows he can recruit too.

If Cumbie can match his recruiting prowess with the X's and O's then he will soon be on to greener (i.e. BIG MONEY!) pastures.

Again, congrats to Coach Cumbie and staff for a good recruiting class.
    If Cumbie can give Tech a few GREAT years before moving on, I'll be happy. And maybe he can develop an assistant to take over should he leave for greener pastures. And if he wants to hang around at Tech after a few GREAT years, that would be okay too.

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Imagine for a time the significance of a coaching staff that recruited such a high ranking class after having such a bad year compared to Holtz and his staff’s lesser classes after all their repeated years of winning bowl games. The obvious point is that Holtz was a supreme slacker.

I agree that if our coaches can simply coach up our players and manage games that we’ll quickly be much improved. I’ve got my fingers crossed.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I never judge a coach in the first year. It is the second and third year that he/she has to prove themselves - in any sport... Hoping Cumbie can turn the ship around this next year!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I never judge a coach in the first year. It is the second and third year that he/she has to prove themselves - in any sport... Hoping Cumbie can turn the ship around this next year!
    Should TCU judge Dykes in his first year?

And then you say "Hoping Cumbie can turn the ship around..." Quite a qualified statement. But, I understand the sentiment since Cumbie showed no reason to think, to know, to be reasonably certain he will turn it around. HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL!

That said Cumbie has shown the ability to recruit. So! "here's hoping!"

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Should we have judged Dykes by his first year at Tech?

Should Cal have?

Or SMU?

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Should we have judged Dykes by his first year at Tech?

Should Cal have?

Or SMU?
    Can't speak for Cal or SMU but I liked what I saw from Dykes his first year here. Not the 4-8 finish, but rather what he was trying to accomplish, his Xs and Os. I could see it...maybe I was alone.

I didn't see anything from Cumbie, Xs and Os, last year that inspires confidence. Appears he will have some talent to play with, so...we'll see!

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Can't speak for Cal or SMU but I liked what I saw from Dykes his first year here. Not the 4-8 finish, but rather what he was trying to accomplish, his Xs and Os. I could see it...maybe I was alone.

I didn't see anything from Cumbie, Xs and Os, last year that inspires confidence. Appears he will have some talent to play with, so...we'll see!
    There was very little consistency at the QB position last year with the injury revolving door. No surprise that the passing game suffered as a result.

What does inspire some confidence in me is the way the run game came around in the last half of the season, averaging over 155 yards a game and 4.33 yards per carry over those last six games. Tech averaged just 53 yards a game and 1.87 yards per carry in its first five FBS games last year (SFA excluded). That is a platform to build on.

The biggest concern is still on the defensive side, and the influx of new bodies can't hurt. Won't get the first report card until August 26.

We all know that if Cumbie is successful, he is gone! But losing a coach that way beats having to fire one. Sure would like to see Tech in a NY6 bowl game. Say what!??? Off back-to-back 3-9 seasons and talking about an NY6 berth? Yep! in today's CFB world it is year to year, or over a two-year period. So, yeah, it can happen here and quickly.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

And then you say "Hoping Cumbie can turn the ship around..." Quite a qualified statement. But, I understand the sentiment since Cumbie showed no reason to think, to know, to be reasonably certain he will turn it around. HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL!

That said Cumbie has shown the ability to recruit. So! "here's hoping!"
    I didn't... He had a loaded team but fail or a big time success, it will be the next few years that will tell if it works out. He is a great offensive mind, but that didn't work out at Cal. Honestly, I would love to have him back, though.

+ Reply to Thread