View Poll Results: What is your initial thought about the new site?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent (5 stars)

17 22.97%
  • Good (4 stars)

14 18.92%
  • Average (3 stars)

39 52.70%
  • Below Average (2 stars)

2 2.70%
  • Poor (1 star)

2 2.70%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Site Poll

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

Poll Site Poll

What are your initial thoughts of the new site?

TDF
    Last edited by TechDawgFan; 05-09-2004 at 05:05 PM.

splicer

Re: Site Poll

Overall I think the new board is great. The speed is a LOT better than the other board. We'll see what happens when 50 people are trying to access the same forum though.

One thing i noticed that I don't like is how Quick Reply works. It just seems awkward to me.

Nick Patrick

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splicer
    Overall I think the new board is great. The speed is a LOT better than the other board. We'll see what happens when 50 people are trying to access the same forum though.

One thing i noticed that I don't like is how Quick Reply works. It just seems awkward to me.

Nick Patrick
    I suspect that I will catch some grief over that. I've heard it from several people. So you can see why it is that way, see the following screenshot. This is from the "Threaded View" available under "Display Modes". If nobody uses this or the hybrid view, then we can do away with the click required for quick reply. But if people do, then we need to keep it.

What is everyone else's thoughts?

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

faninmonroe

i love it

very nice job

rphdawg

Very nice site and will be looking forward to the move here

dawg68

Big Grin Re: Site Poll

Speed is the all important element in anything computer related and this new forum has it. Great job!
    Speed and the addition of the ignore feature are worth the change alone.

I greatly appreciate the many hours (days?) you and the other admins put into this. And it pays sooooo well.

Thanks,
    D68

BamaDawg

It sux!

just kidding...thanx for all the hard work and time. I know it has taken a while and I appreciate the effort and love for Louisiana Tech University.

Martie

Darbonnedawg

Looks great and so is the speed of it.

markay714

I do like the site. Its different a bit, but I'll adjust. Its apparently got my most anticipated feature - IGNORE, so what can be wrong with it?

DallasDog

Love it. The speed is great and I like the way its set up. Good job, and thanks for all the work that went into it.!

TechsasDawg

Took me a bit to find the "quick reply" thinggie, but I managed, so everybody else ought to be able to struggle through the first experience. I love the speed. Just hope is holds up when a whole bunch of posters are running around on the board! Good job!!!

TD
    ~~

A couple of people have mentioned being interested in how this board will run speed wise when we open it up with, at some times, over 100 people hitting it at a time. I am by no means a database expert, but I'll tell you what I THINK we will see.

First, realize that this board is running off of the exact same server as the current site and is using the same database application. There are two databases on it - the vBulletin db and the PNphpBB db (the old one). So when we are doing page views on this site, we are actually competing with the other board with all the people on it. And during those times, this site appears much faster.

On the day the C-USA decision was announced our site was getting HAMMERED with people and page views. We had, at some times, over 100 people on the site at one time. When we had that load, I came over here to see how things were going. It was slower than now, but was still more than twice as fast as the other site. I think once we get off of that database entirely, we're going to find that even during high traffic, the site will be even faster than what I saw. That other db is just darn inefficient!!!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for all your comments! I really appreciate it! Keep testing and getting used to things. You folks should be the experts when we finally roll out!

TDF (Chris)

+ Reply to Thread