+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Features Comments or questions

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

Features Comments or questions

If you have comments or questions about the different features of this site, please post them here.

TDF

weunice

Re: Features Comments or questions

Whizzybang ... OK I just wanted to amek sure I was around ..

This had better work with Mozilla on my crummy laptop at home running Linux.

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

What version are you running? I'm pretty sure it does, but I can check real quick.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by weunice
    Whizzybang ... OK I just wanted to amek sure I was around ..

This had better work with Mozilla on my crummy laptop at home running Linux.
    Here is the comment from the vB Team:

AOL uses the Internet Explorer installed on the user's computer as its rendering engine under Windows. So AOL should be just fine on all computers with Windows 98 and higher.

I would suggest Internet Explorer 5 as the minimum IE version though and Netscape 6 as the minimum Netscape version. The software works with all versions of Mozilla browsers and Opera as well. It also works in KHTML based browsers such as Konqueror and Safari. It has also been tested to work in Lynx and other text based browsers quite well.

The only browser that I would suspect with major problems including being unable to render the forums properly is the Netscape 4.X series and Internet Explorer 4.0 and earlier. These browsers can probably still use the forums but it won't be pretty. First, Second and Third Generation browsers would be incapable of using the forums effectively.

Champ967

Oh my .... I rather like it. Sharp stuff ... thanks for all your hard work admins!

Who here follows HomeStarRunner? Lately I've come to identify some of those cartoon characters with our very own BB&B characters ...

Strong Mad - Hogdawg, Clyde, or Slau http://www.homestarrunner.com/vcr_sm.html
    King of Town - definately Aub! http://www.homestarrunner.com/vcr_kot.html
    Poopsmith - MT http://www.homestarrunner.com/vcr_poop.html
    Homsar - gotta be beef http://www.homestarrunner.com/vcr_homsar.html
    Strong Sad - Dwayne (not always, but lately) http://www.homestarrunner.com/vcr_ss.html
    Coach Z - my ol buddy DallasDog http://www.homestarrunner.com/vcr_cz.html

Tell me what you think ... add your own .... http://www.homestarrunner.com/characters2.html

Champ967

Oh, yeah ... where's that good ol IGNORE button?

Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgFan
    If you have comments or questions about the different features of this site, please post them here.

TDF
    Looks good, just ahve to get used to it. I appreicate what all you guys do for us Loyal Die hard Tech fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967
    Oh, yeah ... where's that good ol IGNORE button?
    It's not right out there in the open. BTW, did you read the announcement? :icon_wink

Click on the name of the person you want to ignore. Go to their public profile. Click Add to my Ignore List.

OR

Go you YOUR profile. Click Buddy and Ignore Lists. Add the person to the list.

Chris

Big Dog olddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her game

For whatever reason, I am losing the "unread posts" markers before I get them all read. I noticed that my "last visit" time also changes and wonder if the two items are related. Is this happening to anyone else?

Thanks,

James

Quote Originally Posted by olddawgfan
    For whatever reason, I am losing the "unread posts" markers before I get them all read. I noticed that my "last visit" time also changes and wonder if the two items are related. Is this happening to anyone else?

Thanks,

James
    I'm glad you gave me those details, especially about the "last visit time."

I'm going to tell you a little more than you probably want to know and then tell you what I'm going to do to fix it.

First, I hope you notice just how much faster this board is than any other we have used in the past. I believe everyone is pleased with this and recognizes that speed was one of the key issues that we, as administrators, HAD to address. We feel we have done that. Unfortunately, when you do something like this, you generally have to trade features for speed. It's all about how much data has to be read from and written to the database tables (as well as graphics size) in order to view a page.

The previous boards we used had a feature called "persistent read tracking", meaning that it marked threads as read or forums as viewed real time. That generates a database drain to some extent. The "read tracking" that keeps track from session to session what posts you have read and haven't read (unread threads stay unread) creates even more. vBulletin handles this a little differently. It does it by sessions and page views. If you are inactive (no page views) for a period of time longer than what we have set, your session will reset and all the threads become read. We currently have this set a 300 seconds or 5 minutes. This also affects the "Who's Online" so that you are seeing anyone who has been active in the last 5 minutes.

The 300 second timeout appears to be too short. I'm going to change this to the recommended 900 seconds or 15 minutes. This should help with the issue you are having.

Just so you are all aware, the vBulletin Developers are looking at other ways to handle this, including real "read tracking". But they want to do it in a way that does not adversly affect performance or speed of the system. As they update, we will here too.

Unfortunately, this is just the way it works. We had to sacrifice a little to get the performance of the board and this is the main place it had to happen.

Chris

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

When I use "Forum Tools", "Mark This Forum Read" - some of the threads are still in bold.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg
    When I use "Forum Tools", "Mark This Forum Read" - some of the threads are still in bold.
    When I Use "Quick Links" "Mark Forums Read" it does mark them read.

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg
    When I Use "Quick Links" "Mark Forums Read" it does mark them read.
    I'm looking into this. But it DID work for me using the Quick Links. Keep trying and let me know.

TDF

Big Dog olddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her game

Chris,

The changes you made allowed me to read all unread posts on the board today without losing the "flags". Thanks a million!!!

The "remember me" feature at log-in is not working for me.

Also, when I preview my posts my "signature" is shown, but when I post, the "signature" disappears.

Thanks again,

James

Quote Originally Posted by olddawgfan
    Chris,

The changes you made allowed me to read all unread posts on the board today without losing the "flags". Thanks a million!!!

The "remember me" feature at log-in is not working for me.

Also, when I preview my posts my "signature" is shown, but when I post, the "signature" disappears.

Thanks again,

James
    In your User CP do you have the option set to show signatures? I can see your sig just fine. I suspect you have it disabled so you can't even see your own.

TDF

+ Reply to Thread