+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Champions Plaza announced

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Re: Champions Plaza announced

Meh. Not very impressive IMO. It looks very forgettable.

A better idea would be to bowl in the north endzone and include this into the structure in the center, like the Rotunda at Ohio State University. The athletic museum should also move from the Wyly Athletic Center and connect to it as well. Have a brick pathway called the Path of Pride leading up to/away from it towards Hide-a-way park. The statues of the biggest athletic alumni should line the pathway and bricks should contain the names of other Tech alums and their sports and achievements. This allows a clear way to add more statues and bricks for future athletes, coaches and other athletics related people. Finally it would be a much better route for the Walk of Pride and center point for tailgating activities.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Just close in the underbelly of the stadium like we did the other side... Then, build Champions Square. I do like the statues.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgonit View Post

Meh. Not very impressive IMO. It looks very forgettable.

A better idea would be to bowl in the north endzone and include this into the structure in the center, like the Rotunda at Ohio State University. The athletic museum should also move from the Wyly Athletic Center and connect to it as well. Have a brick pathway called the Path of Pride leading up to/away from it towards Hide-a-way park. The statues of the biggest athletic alumni should line the pathway and bricks should contain the names of other Tech alums and their sports and achievements. This allows a clear way to add more statues and bricks for future athletes, coaches and other athletics related people. Finally it would be a much better route for the Walk of Pride and center point for tailgating activities.
    This is just Phase I of the North End Zone Project.

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    That's not bowling in the stadium. That's plopping a building down. I hated it when it was announced as it removes the ability to connect both sides of the stadium. Connect the lower halves of the Joe to bowl in the stadium and have the building be the top half and it would be good. Then combine it with my ideas before.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

That's not bowling in the stadium. That's plopping a building down. I hated it when it was announced as it removes the ability to connect both sides of the stadium. Connect the lower halves of the Joe to bowl in the stadium and have the building be the top half and it would be good. Then combine it with my ideas before.
    I like your concept. It's actually been suggested several times before, but it's a matter of funding it all. Apparently, there is money to do this, but not to bowl in the NEZ.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I like your concept. It's actually been suggested several times before, but it's a matter of funding it all. Apparently, there is money to do this, but not to bowl in the NEZ.
    I figured it's funding and if it is, then it's short-sighted IMO. We will lose the opportunity to bowl in the stadium in the future if we put that building there. We already lost that opportunity with the south endzone. What return on investment are we getting out of that building by building it now then waiting to see if we can get funding to properly bowl in the stadium?

I am no engineer and I don't know how the infamous subterranean creek affects the NEZ but couldn't we at least do some cost-cutting engineering to still achieve a compromise? What if instead of bowling in the NEZ with concrete like the rest of stadium (I assume this is the expensive part), could we not build up a berm that overflow crowds could sit on and build the building a bit farther back and higher? Would this be cost-effective and doable? In the future if overflow crowds happen, then could it be converted to concrete, permanent seating?

Or what about some cheaper erector set style seating like our infamous wings? I just hate to lose the opportunity to bowl in the stadium.

ETA: Also what will happen with the current video board in the NEZ? Can it be repurposed somewhere else like in the baseball stadium or used for announcements/advertising on the intersection of Alabama and Tech Drive?

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

I figured it's funding and if it is, then it's short-sighted IMO. We will lose the opportunity to bowl in the stadium in the future if we put that building there. We already lost that opportunity with the south endzone. What return on investment are we getting out of that building by building it now then waiting to see if we can get funding to properly bowl in the stadium?
    I’m sorry but what return on investment are getting on anything we are doing?

We could play games at Ruston High and not sell it out.

I’m pulling for Cumbie but it seems like he has a ton of odds stacked against him.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Or what about some cheaper erector set style seating like our infamous wings? I just hate to lose the opportunity to bowl in the stadium.
    No.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    Just an fyi. There is an updated rendering of the project. It includes one large video board rather than two boards.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

I am no engineer and I don't know how the infamous subterranean creek affects the NEZ but couldn't we at least do some cost-cutting engineering to still achieve a compromise? What if instead of bowling in the NEZ with concrete like the rest of stadium (I assume this is the expensive part), could we not build up a berm that overflow crowds could sit on and build the building a bit farther back and higher? Would this be cost-effective and doable? In the future if overflow crowds happen, then could it be converted to concrete, permanent seating?

ETA: Also what will happen with the current video board in the NEZ? Can it be repurposed somewhere else like in the baseball stadium or used for announcements/advertising on the intersection of Alabama and Tech Drive?
    I understand where you're coming from, but the decision to build in the NEZ was made at least 5 years ago. They're not going back.

The final cost will be somewhere between $17 and $20 million. They've raised almost all of it.

At this point it's all about the final design. Will it be incredible, like the DAC, or sub par like the original rendering they released last year?

Also, it's becoming more and more difficult to find replacement parts for the old board. At a certain point it will be impossible, which will lead to the board having to be scrapped.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Could be, perhaps, a hill of sorts. You could say.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

If you are gonna put in lower level seating, might as well go with the concrete form grandstands. You would have to pour concrete anyways for metal decking seating so might as well just go with something that looks better.

The current videoboard I'm guessing will be disassembled and recycled. I don't think its something that you can relocate and reuse. It would require lots of money to build out electrical, fiber, framing to just put in old panels and old internals... then hope everything fires up correctly (and it's not under warranty). I doubt Daktronics would recommend doing this.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    If you are gonna put in lower level seating, might as well go with the concrete form grandstands. You would have to pour concrete anyways for metal decking seating so might as well just go with something that looks better.

The current videoboard I'm guessing will be disassembled and recycled. I don't think its something that you can relocate and reuse. It would require lots of money to build out electrical, fiber, framing to just put in old panels and old internals... then hope everything fires up correctly (and it's not under warranty). I doubt Daktronics would recommend doing this.
    It's the world we live in. We have disposable razors and disposable very expensive scoreboards.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Just an fyi. There is an updated rendering of the project. It includes one large video board rather than two boards.
    well…I’ll be.
    Someone listened.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread