+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Stress Free Saturdays

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Stress Free Saturdays

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgonit View Post
    I’m going to disagree on this, at least on needing to grow the population to have it. How many apartment complexes have been built or single family homes in the last two decades? There apparently was some demand for housing in Ruston but it doesn’t seem like the city pushed for any more downtown. More mixed use properties will come if the city decides to focus on getting them built. It needs city planning and leadership to push that initiative forward.

By having a more populated and denser city center, you incentivize people to walk and that’s the best way to create more patrons for businesses downtown. Why drive to some chain restaurant when you can walk five or ten minutes to a local place? You create more local culture and a better local economy by choosing to focus on developing downtown to be denser and more mixed use. Tech could have helped create that by putting more student housing near downtown thus creating more foot traffic for those local businesses downtown.

Not only that, but the city would actually do better financially by focusing on building that way in the future but I digress. Look up Strong Towns if you’re curious more about that topic.
    I don’t disagree with this either. I just wonder, with our current population makeup, if downtown development would work. Our population hasn’t grown, it has spread out from town because people wanted to be on a piece of ground where you couldn’t watch your neighbors tv from your own living room. We need more people who desire downtown lifestyles. I imagine you have to build it first to attract those people. The point still stands that Ruston is not friendly to develop. And without Ruston opening up to modern develop, there will be no need for condo/apartment style rentals because the current apartments will meet the need.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Jim Henderson has his "town and gown" concept of the university working closely with the city. I don't think he actually did a thing to augment that when he was at NSU. Yes, NSU and the City of Natchitoches have always enjoyed a measure of cooperation for the betterment of both, but there were some blatant gaps in that relationship that appeared under President Webb but were never repaired under Henderson. It's true he was not at NSU very long and I think he had his eye on the ULS position, plus a desire to be chancellor at LSU-BR. So, maybe he never really implemented his plan, but might now if he sees himself staying at Tech long enough to reach retirement, close to 10 years I believe he'll need. We'll see.

One thing is certain, if he really wants to do a good job at Tech, Henderson is coming in at a very good time, given how crappy everything has become. He can't be blamed for the present conditions and any improvements made he can claim credit.
    Dr. Henderson had the iconic Doug Ireland (including MBB coach Mike McConathy) to handle his sports base PR in Natchioches.

Who's he gonna have in Ruston to glue it all together?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Dr. Henderson had the iconic Doug Ireland (including MBB coach Mike McConathy) to handle his sports base PR in Natchioches.

Who's he gonna have in Ruston to glue it all together?
    M.B.

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I don’t disagree with this either. I just wonder, with our current population makeup, if downtown development would work. Our population hasn’t grown, it has spread out from town because people wanted to be on a piece of ground where you couldn’t watch your neighbors tv from your own living room. We need more people who desire downtown lifestyles. I imagine you have to build it first to attract those people.
    I don't think it is spread out because all of the buyers/renters want it that way. I think it is the only option they have been given in Ruston. I do think there is a market for it now. Like you said, if you build it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    without Ruston opening up to modern develop, there will be no need for condo/apartment style rentals because the current apartments will meet the need.
    Maybe, maybe not. That is assuming that all housing is equal. People will move to more desirable housing if it is available. If they create more mixed-use development downtown, I do think people would move into them from other places in Ruston. Again just my opinion though. I think we disagree on this and that's fine. I have no surveys or statistics to support it, just my hunch.

Big Dog TechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the rough

I am excited about the hiring of our new WR receivers coach from Oklahoma St. Tim Rattay their QB coach was very high on him. I am trying the glass half empty-half full attitude.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Today is not stress-free for me.
    13 weeks on the injured list. Cayden returned last week in the semifinal and on the depth chart today.
    NCAA Division 2 National Championship (28-team bracket!)

(50-years after the inaugural D2 title was won by LATech in 1973)

Harding vs. Colorado School of the Mines

Noon ESPNU

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Jax State wins NO Bowl over ULL despite giving up THREE defensive TDs. That's incredible. ULL had two pick-sixes and fumble return accounting for 21 gift points, and the Cajuns still managed to lose. Ya gotta love it!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

13 weeks on the injured list. Cayden returned last week in the semifinal and on the depth chart today.

Noon ESPNU
    Congrats to Harding!

My youngest son investigated attending Colorado School of Mines. When he was about 12 we were vacationing in Colorado and toured the Coors Brewery in Golden, which is also the home of CSM. We also toured a gold mine in Blackhawk, Co. and my son was fascinated with the whole mining engineering profession. When in high school he applied to the CSM and he and I went on visit and got a tour of the school. The small 'ship they offered left a huge tuition bill and he decided against attending. None of that has a thing to do with football...just thought I'd mention it.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Noon ESPNU
    I watched the whole game. Congrats to Cayden and Harding! That coach looks like a genius for adopting the FlexBone and using powerful ground offense and great defense to go undefeated.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

NMST embarrassed by Fresno tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Congrats to Harding!

My youngest son investigated attending Colorado School of Mines. When he was about 12 we were vacationing in Colorado and toured the Coors Brewery in Golden, which is also the home of CSM. We also toured a gold mine in Blackhawk, Co. and my son was fascinated with the whole mining engineering profession. When in high school he applied to the CSM and he and I went on visit and got a tour of the school. The small 'ship they offered left a huge tuition bill and he decided against attending. None of that has a thing to do with football...just thought I'd mention it.
    They say the average exit salary at Mines is about $85K.
    The NCAA gave out its academic award Saturday to a . . . . 4.0 freshman . . Computer science major (not engineering). Huh? Guess there were no philosophy majors available for nomination

Thanks Burl!.

For those who missed here are some of CP's highlights.

https://youtu.be/tCXQDWzu-vg
    https://youtu.be/LDF_5QMhaaU
    https://youtu.be/JCUNJpB2NZc

This will be my first free Saturday in 15 weeks (since Football Week Zero) Oh, yeah, no bye weeks.
    I've experienced five rounds of a national playoff featuring a 28-team bracket. 28 teams in an NCAA football playoff!
    Not only did Harding go 15-0, rush for 6,160 yards (new NCAA record) & win the National title… they beat the #2, #3 & #4 teams in their last 3 games by a combined score of 100-27. #FlexBone & Filthy Defense! (they completed 26 passes all season!)
    My boy's team is the NCAA Division II National Champion.

https://x.com/PaulSimmonsHU/status/1...159829122?s=20

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, sir!

+ Reply to Thread