+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tech NIL Collective

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Tech NIL Collective

So, how many people will give to this instead of LTAC or Aillet? No way most people will give substantially to all 3.

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

Why is a program of this importance being introduced and perhaps implemented without the benefit of any input from the next AD?

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    Why is a program of this importance being introduced and perhaps implemented without the benefit of any input from the next AD?
    My best guess was this has been in the works for a while under Dr. Wood. The probably felt the need to announce it prior to/in conjunction with National Signing Day.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    My best guess was this has been in the works for a while under Dr. Wood. The probably felt the need to announce it prior to/in conjunction with National Signing Day.
    LOL. You think Tech waited to start a collective, hoping it would be regulated out of existence?

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    LOL. You think Tech waited to start a collective, hoping it would be regulated out of existence?
    That's so Tech!

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    So, how many people will give to this instead of LTAC or Aillet? No way most people will give substantially to all 3.
    I don't think this reality bodes well for Tech either way, but I read something recently that it looks like in practice the new NIL collectives aren't pulling from the same donors as normal university (or even athletic) giving. You'd think it would be, and I've seen that concern come up a lot in all the discussion about this, but according to the article a lot of the collective giving is from people who aren't otherwise giving (and the reasoning made sense).

Now, we don't really have enough donors for either route. So that's not great overall.

I will try to look for the piece. Want to say it was a recent Extra Points newsletter.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I don't think this reality bodes well for Tech either way, but I read something recently that it looks like in practice the new NIL collectives aren't pulling from the same donors as normal university (or even athletic) giving. You'd think it would be, and I've seen that concern come up a lot in all the discussion about this, but according to the article a lot of the collective giving is from people who aren't otherwise giving (and the reasoning made sense).

Now, we don't really have enough donors for either route. So that's not great overall.

I will try to look for the piece. Want to say it was a recent Extra Points newsletter.
    Do you think some will prefer this route since it goes straight to athletes instead of salaries, equipment, and light bills? I could see that as a reason for some.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

And I've got to have the tax deduction for any contribution that I make - and NIL isn't deductible, if I choose to give it will be minimal
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Do you think some will prefer this route since it goes straight to athletes instead of salaries, equipment, and light bills? I could see that as a reason for some.
    Nope - I'm more willing to give to brink and mortar projects than paying 18-19 year olds who may choose to leave tomorrow if the coach hurts their feelings

I was approached about giving to basketball this year and I said thanks but no thanks...

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Nope - I'm more willing to give to brink and mortar projects than paying 18-19 year olds who may choose to leave tomorrow if the coach hurts their feelings

I was approached about giving to basketball this year and I said thanks but no thanks...
    I think that's a big part of it. It's a members only post (I must have caught it unlocked somehow, because I could swear I read more of it than this, and I don't subscribe, maybe he quote-tweeted himself on twitter), but this is where I saw that: https://www.extrapointsmb.com/p/no-n...ls-heres-proof

I gather that a lot of the people donating to collectives weren't previously giving (it's the walmart fans at the big schools that really donate to the NIL collectives). Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I gather that a lot of the people donating to collectives weren't previously giving (it's the walmart fans at the big schools that really donate to the NIL collectives). Maybe?
    I think it could be for the larger P5 schools -

For schools like us - not much of an effect - what can you do with a 1,000 people giving $25?

Since they've basically thrown title IX out the window - let individual sports bring back the booster clubs

When the courts finally deem the athletes to be employees - how are schools our size going to survive playing that model? WE CAN'T it's that simple

For schools like us - not much of an effect - what can you do with a 1,000 people giving $25?

Since they've basically thrown title IX out the window - let individual sports bring back the booster clubs

When the courts finally deem the athletes to be employees - how are schools our size going to survive playing that model? WE CAN'T it's that simple
    Yeah. 100% it's the biggest schools with all the casual fans who care about the football team but not the whole university or the tennis team or chemistry department who (seemingly mostly) give to the collectives. And yeah, we don't have many of those types (and it would take a lot, you need lots of small donors to make an impact).

I think this is where some of Matt Brown's info came from.

The only advantage about the courts finally making athletes employees for Tech would be that even the big boys will collectively bargain the player salaries down from where they are now. Will it get down to where we can afford to keep playing at any high level? Maybe not.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Two things in the news today 1) proponents of Title IX have placed a petition with new rules on the desk of Joe Biden, seeking more teeth be put in the law (of course, Biden can't find his desk without a guide so maybe he won't see it), and 2) news of a LABOR UNION forming for college athletes, started in basketball but will spread to football and other sports as well.

A labor union for college athletes? Gotta be kiddin' me. Death knell for college sports if that happens. (of course, college sports already has one foot in the grave...)

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Still no idea on an indoor workout facility?
    I guess we do have a nice endzone study hall with all kinds of money committed to it.

Lincoln Parish taxpayers will have an opportunity to vote on some type of indoor facility for the high school. Think they'll rent some space to the 'Dogs?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread