+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [DEBATE] - OOC Scheduling

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    In my opinion, the 12 game schedule is here to stay, so that can either make Tech's job of OOC scheduling a little easier or a little harder. Some money games are necessary, but too many of them can leave you battered and bruised, and upsets are hard to come by, even for a competitive non-BCS program like the Bulldogs. Tech also has to have five home games in the future to stay in D1-A, and not many people are willing to play Tech in Ruston or Shreveport, unfortunately. Chalk this up to a bunch of schools being SCARED or STUCK UP (or both) in my opinion, especially Southern Miss and Tulane. Bunch of jerks! So, considering these limited options, I think the best strategy for Tech is to play two big money games against BCS teams a year, for around $500,000 a pop, bringing in a million dollars before expenses, while engaging in a rotating round robin with ULL and ULM to get that fifth home game every year. That respective home game, be it against the Indians or the Cajuns, would probably be the best attented home game each year. It could work out nicely.

By the way, it is my understanding that Hawaii will rotate onto the schedule starting next year. If so, does that mean that Tech will be able to play 13 games in years when they travel to Hawaii? If so, that means five out of conference games for Tech. An oppurtunity to play three "money games" or lure a high profile opponent to Shreveport, if it can be done (and that's a big if. Don't be surprised if Jim Oakes gets a lot of doors slammed in his face if Tech beats defending national champion Miami in Shreveport next year). The big boys just might want to shut ya'll down!

Big Dog NTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to behold NTXDawg's Avatar
    I think we should keep at least two of the "Big Boys" on the schedule and maybe three. I do think we should give ourselves a reasonalbe chance of winning on at least one of our OOC games. For example OK St. I do think it helps us overall by toughening us up for the wac schedule.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar
    dont dog on Troy. While he ran his mouth on the field he was always nice and courteous when I saw and spoke to him. He would always talk to my son when I was in Ruston.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar
    Marshall could have happened but didn't. I really feel that a schedule with a Tex/Tex a&m/Okla and a Ark/LSU/Miss St/Ole Miss plus a Marshall/UCF/Col St/S. Miss/Louisville is the key. The 12 game years I would personally schedule a lower teir MWC/MAC/CUSA team to a 2 (at our place) for one (at their place).

Example:
    H S. Florida or W. Michigan
    A Tex a&m
    H Marshall (in Shreveport)
    A LSU

H 4 Conference games
    A 4 Conference games

But that is a perfect world

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    I really like that proposal Martie. The word is that ADs don't want to schedule us for whatever reason. We should be calling ADs who don't get along with their coaches and get them to schedule us. Not that our road record against BCS teams is good, but at least we have the games and a 2-1 deal at worst. That is what we should shoot for in the future. If we win then we get the respect we want and if we lose then we're not as good as we think we are but I hope the schedules like this year are done with. I don't want to see us schedule another BCS school on the road for next year at home maybe but that's unlikely with Miami coming to Shrev. they'd have to play us in Ruston. Sooner or later someone is going to have to come to Ruston and play us.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Jet,
    You are a pretty good poster (for and lsu fan ), but I draw the line at this statement..........

"while engaging in a rotating round robin with ULL and ULM to get that fifth home game every year. That respective home game, be it against the Indians or the Cajuns, would probably be the best attented home game each year. It could work out nicely."

I won't comment on the ULL part, because that may come to pass, but I can assure you that ulamon WILL NOT happen. Other than the fact that we don't want it to happen, here are several reasons why.....

1. Home and home is a losing proposition. We may be okay in the years they play in Ruston, but in the Monroe years, we actually LOSE money. Not only because of the payout, but also because of the revenue we could have had while at home or even traveling to another school.

2. Separation - We've achived it and can't afford to go back.

3. We don't play 1AA schools home and home. :wink:

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    3. We don't play 1AA schools home and home. -- wrote maddawg

____

And last time we tried to tell them that, they extorted us for $75,000.

Varsity Bulldog Papadawg62 seems to have something between the earsPapadawg62 seems to have something between the earsPapadawg62 seems to have something between the earsPapadawg62 seems to have something between the earsPapadawg62 seems to have something between the earsPapadawg62 seems to have something between the ears Papadawg62's Avatar
    Guys, as I see it we have to play the big money games as long as we are not selling out our our stadium. With our expenses we have to have money--or go back to 1AA---and I haven't heard ONE fan say that on this board. So as far as I can see---END OF DICUSSION PERIOD!!!!

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    By when do we owe the Univ. of California Golden Bears a return match out on the "Left Coast" for the game we played in Shreveport? And what will they pay us for that game?

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maddawg
    Jet,
    You are a pretty good poster (for and lsu fan ), but I draw the line at this statement..........

"while engaging in a rotating round robin with ULL and ULM to get that fifth home game every year. That respective home game, be it against the Indians or the Cajuns, would probably be the best attented home game each year. It could work out nicely."

I won't comment on the ULL part, because that may come to pass, but I can assure you that ulamon WILL NOT happen. Other than the fact that we don't want it to happen, here are several reasons why.....

1. Home and home is a losing proposition. We may be okay in the years they play in Ruston, but in the Monroe years, we actually LOSE money. Not only because of the payout, but also because of the revenue we could have had while at home or even traveling to another school.

2. Separation - We've achived it and can't afford to go back.

3. We don't play 1AA schools home and home. :wink:
    I must respectfully disagree with you on that one. I have always been an advocate of our in-state 1-A schools playing each other every year, because these games are usually well attended. Look, the facts speak for themselves. Louisiana Tech and ULM played each other four times from 1997-2000, and drew crowds of 27,000+ every time except 2000, when both teams had a combined record of 3-15 going into that contest. Now I'm not an "insider." I don't know all the logistics involved with running a successful Division 1-A football program. But I do know this. The new Division 1-A football standards go into effect in 2004. As of right now, only one school in this state, LSU, is in full compliance with these new regulations. Tulane, ULL, ULM, and Louisiana Tech are all going to have issues with this, whether it be attendance, new sports for women, budget, scholarships, etc., etc. I'm concerned that by thumbing it's nose at ULL and ULM, Tech may actually be backing itself into a corner. All things run in cycles. Sooner or later, Louisiana Tech is going to have a losing season, or a series of losing seasons, in football. And sooner or later, ULL and ULM are going to get their act together and start winning and playing in front of larger crowds. When this happens, and the shoe is on the other foot, the ULs may decide one good screwing deserves another, and they may tell you guys to go take a hike. My question is, is Tech's fan support strong enough to survive more than two straight losing seasons? I tend to think the answer is no. Now I may be wrong on that, but I don't think so.

A bunch of people on this board say playing ULM and ULL would be bad for Tech, but I have not seen a single shred of hard evidence that suggests that to be true. I don't see why, on a 12 game schedule, you can't have it both ways. There is room to play a game in Shreveport, maybe two, there is room for two money games, and there is room for a series with ULL and ULM that almost everyone agrees would help Tech's attendance average. You guys want Tech to be a big time program. Well, if you do, it's time to start putting fans in the seats like big time programs do. I just don't see how one game that would put between 22K and 26K and one game that would put definitely put over 26K in Aillet Stadium would be bad for ya'll. Ya'll had an average home attendance of around 20,000 last year, it's going to be slightly higher this year, but it could be so much more. I think playing in-state schools is the key to increasing attendance, media attention, recruiting (Louisiana has so much good high school talent that Tech should be able to find most of their needs here) and goodwill and good relations with the rest of the state. And it won't hurt Tech's national profile either. If ya'll continue scoring more victories against the BCS and going to bowl games, that will take care of itself.

Well, anyway, that's my opinion.

GEAUX TIGERS!! GO DAWGS!!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    ULL is back on our schedule with a home/home in 2003/2004 or 2004/2005, not sure which. It'll be interesting to see just how well ULL fans attend these games. The last time we played @ULL, there were 19,000 there, with about 5,000+ of that Tech fans. In Ruston, last time, there was a similar number, 19K, with all of 500 ULL fans, if that. Tech fans were already bored with the way the series had become lopsided, and our move to the WAC has only further distanced any interest in these games.

Maybe the fans of both schools were taking the series for granted, as it was the longest running series between Louisiana schools, 85 straight years. Now, that the series is not guaranteed anymore, fans of both schools may be more excited and show up.

I would hate to see it, but if this series is to gain any real interest, ULL has to win a game. If they do win in this upcoming home/home then Tech fans will show renewed interest, wanting a revenge game. If Tech wins both, especially rather easily, then the call of "we're wasting our time" will only be strengthened.

As for ULM, well, they have so many problems, they have a long way to go just to get back on the radar screen.

Puppy LaTechDawg has turned a few heads around hereLaTechDawg has turned a few heads around hereLaTechDawg has turned a few heads around hereLaTechDawg has turned a few heads around here
    In a perfect world we would not need to play the $$$$ games. I dont know this for a fact but I would venture to guess that we made $1.0-$1.5 million in guarantees for our 3 away games.

How do we get away from these "skull crackin" games?

If we sold 6000 season tx this year at approx $100 each that brings $600K to the department. If we can pick up season tkt sales to 10K we could cut one $$$ game. 15K 2 money games.

I would love to see us set up 1-1 or 2-1 contracts with opponents that we CAN defeat. Baylor, Texas Tech, Marshall, UAB, Central Florida, Wyoming, OSU, USM, Memphis, Tulane, Vandy.. etc.. Dont get me wrong, I know we can beat anyone anyday... But it would be nice to play 1 big game a year and work in 2 or 3 mid majors...

I know these are not top 25 teams for the most part, but I would rather be 11-0 or 12-0 and have people griping about our not deserving a top 15 ranking because our schedule is like Marhsall's...

Just my 2 bits... GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Dog ANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of lightANODESSEY is a glorious beacon of light
    NO... playing the big games gets more out of our players even if it is a loss, it gets the boys ready for wac play, as well as helps the university to get the name out nationally. however, if we keep playing so conservatively, not really attempting to win, i think we should schedule fewer big teams... maybe one a year. when i say we arent really attempting to win i'm not talking about the players, they are giving it all the coaches will let them, i'm talking about the coaches approaching the games like we are on a level playing field with our big opponents. when really we need to take big risks at times in order to gain momentum. i dont mean late in the game when we're down by two touchdowns already. i mean early in the game, like clemson in the first half we had two fourth and shorts, one on each side of the fifty, either one of those drives we had the opportunity to pull into the lead, and like pstate we had two fourth downs inside the 5, against a wac team its ok to kick a fg, against pstate we gotta get 7, even if we dont score we give them the ball on the 2, if we score we take the lead and grab the momentum, WE ACTUALLY PUT PRESSURE ON THEM TO SCORE. in none of ooc games did our opponent ever, EVER feel pressured to score, they were always ahead. when teams are pressured to score is when mistakes are made, games are won on momentum swings and we never really had any( i admit i am leaving out okstate but they appear will go on to another bottom finish in hte big 12).

Quote Originally Posted by LaTechDawg
    In a perfect world we would not need to play the $$$$ games. I dont know this for a fact but I would venture to guess that we made $1.0-$1.5 million in guarantees for our 3 away games.

If we sold 6000 season tx this year at approx $100 each that brings $600K to the department. If we can pick up season tkt sales to 10K we could cut one $$$ game. 15K 2 money games.

I would love to see us set up 1-1 or 2-1 contracts with opponents that we CAN defeat. Baylor, Texas Tech, Marshall, UAB, Central Florida, Wyoming, OSU, USM, Memphis, Tulane, Vandy.. etc.. Dont get me wrong, I know we can beat anyone anyday... But it would be nice to play 1 big game a year and work in 2 or 3 mid majors...

I know these are not top 25 teams for the most part, but I would rather be 11-0 or 12-0 and have people griping about our not deserving a top 15 ranking because our schedule is like Marhsall's...

Just my 2 bits... GO DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree with that. Ya'll have got to sell more tickets and make more money on your own to get away from the big money beatings. That's part of my reasoning for wanting Tech to play ULL, ULM, and Tulane. More fans showing up to watch the games. I too, wish Tech could schedule like Marshall, but there is one key difference. Marshall sells out their stadium every game. Louisiana Tech doesn't. Marshall can afford only two money games on their schedule a year, while Tech must go out and get three or four. Ya'll need to get there first, and that means getting into a more regionalized, competitive conference where games fans care about are happening every week. I have some ideas about that and everyone else does too. That will happen with the shakeups coming in the next five years.

When are you guys going to mount a major season ticket drive? I am convinced you guys could sell 12,000 season tickets if you really pulled out all the stops and marketed. Heck, ULL and ULM sold 7,000 season tickets apiece, and ya'll have got more to offer than they do.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTechDawg

Funny you should ask. I attended last night's embarrassment against Texas A&M in College Station, and guess what I saw? Yep, you guessed it: A JUMBOTRON. And guess what I saw on the Jumbotron? That's right, CORPORATE ADVERTISING!

Last night in Aggieville, I saw Jumbotron ads for British Petroleum, Exxon, Cingular Wireless, State Farm Insurance, Blue Bell Ice Cream, Fox Sports Net, Verizon, Kroger, and many more. I also saw Jumbotron ads for Texas A&M's version of "CHAMMPS", that included a highlight reel of A&M's 1998 Big 12 Championship season. It ended with R.C. Slocum's Aggie team hoisting the Big 12 Championship trophy over their heads in triumph after the championship game. Imagine that. I could of sworn I saw several Aggies opening their checkbooks after such an emotional appeal.

Anyway, this is what I've been saying for a long, long time. A Jumbotron will not only pay for itself ten fold, it also represents the largest FUTURE revenue source for Louisiana Tech football and Tech athletics. Of course, our leaders in Ruston aren't listening yet. :idea:

HD

+ Reply to Thread