+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Athletic Facilities Masterplan

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    See http://sports.tamu.edu/masterplan/index2.html for A&M's plan.

Before the hacker incident, there was a discussion about planning for the future of Tech's athletic facilities.

If Tech has a plan, perhaps it should be publicly available. At the very least, it would be a good marketing tool for fundraising.

Had I known about the Wyly athletic center, I would have made some type of donation, by we never knew if they needed funding.

Also, there needs to be a financal support system in place for such a plan (see the Athletic Foundation topic).

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    I was going to start this thread but I couldn't remember how you worded it EJ. It definitely needs to be here.

We need to get a financial support system set up First. I guess this would be separate from CHAMPS? To handle the funds and I'm guessing Ronny is on top of this.

Second we need some VISION. Where do we want to be in future? What are our goals for giving, attendance, marketing, scheduling, salary for our coaches for next 3, 5, and 10 years?

Third we need a specific PLAN to accomplish our goals.

If people have something to give FOR, the giving will increase.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    Should Tech this athletic facilities plan include an inside practice facility? I know yesterday the dogs had to split up offense and D and go to separate places! Offense in memorial gym and D in the intramural center. How much could an inside practice facility cost? The building is relatively cheap, or not extravagant and the turf would be the only expense. Just a thought, it would be nice to have but we probably have other pressing needs I guess. I'd like to see a new scoreboard and jumbotron before an indoor practice facility.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    Our guys are so good we could beat Rice even with taking a day off of practice. I'd put lots of other things higher than an indoor practice facility! Its certainly a nice to have, but lets wait until we fill the stadium regularly to build it.

I don't think we should wait until we fill the stadium regularly before we do anything. If that was the case we'd never do anything. These types of facilities are the ones recruits look at and are impressed by. I would say it is worth looking into. I don't recall that many practices being forced inside but it would be nice to have turf to practice on when you are playing on it that week and other advantages. Just curious as to what others thought.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    Its just a matter of priorities - it wouldn't even be on my top 5 of how we want to spend those kind of $$$.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    An indoor practice facility has nothing to do with a full stadium. That'd be like saying let's not build a locker room until we fill the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    An indoor practice facility has nothing to do with a full stadium. That'd be like saying let's not build a locker room until we fill the stadium.
    I don't think they are analagous at all. How often do they get rained out? Can't be that often. Locker rooms are used every day at practice and every game day. Indoor practice facilities are rarely used. How would you prioritize limited $$$? I really think we need to spend marketing $$$ now more than facilities for now - to get that full house.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markay714
    [quote:cb854296cc="Dirtydawg"]An indoor practice facility has nothing to do with a full stadium. That'd be like saying let's not build a locker room until we fill the stadium.
    I don't think they are analagous at all. How often do they get rained out? Can't be that often. Locker rooms are used every day at practice and every game day. Indoor practice facilities are rarely used. How would you prioritize limited $$$? I really think we need to spend marketing $$$ now more than facilities for now - to get that full house.[/quote:cb854296cc]

Actually, an indoor facility would be used more than that. It can be used when the team has an upcoming game on artificial turf or if they need to close off practice for any reason. Indoor facilities are used for alot more than just rainy day sessions. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that we don't need to prioritize spending. Just that building an indoor facility should not be based on attendance.

I certainly agree we have to prioritize spending but I think this is something that needs to be looked at as far as long term planning of athletic facilities is concerned.

Bulldog hisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the ears
    on the houston chronicle's website www.chron.com probably in the sports section/texans section there is a section on Reliant Stadium. In that section is an article on their indoor bubbles. Check it out.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    This is another good masterplan. It is SMU's plan and is a combination of facilities and funding.

http://www.smumustangs.com/mustangclub/commitment/

How hard can it be to come up with something like that-it was simple and told you all you need to know. I like that the committment. Basically the set goals to increase certain athletic budgets by a set number and then figured up what they had to do to generate that money. It isn't rocket science. Why haven't we done this yet? I hope we are working on something for the future.

I was in the metroplex when they were building their new field and it is suppossedly very nice, I wish I could make it up this weekend to see it finished.

+ Reply to Thread