+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do we have a pass rush?

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar
    If so, where the hell is it? Unbelievable, we have put ZERO pressure on their QB and yet we still are only rushing 4. Our defense is making the 106th ranked offense look really really good.

PLEASE MAKE ADJUSTMENTS, IF SOMETHING ISN'T WORKING, CHANGE IT.

Bulldog dawgpound is an unknown dawgpound's Avatar
    We seem to be making the worst QB in the nation look like Joe Montana. However, with a little offense we could still win this one. Throw the ball!!! Defend their receivers.!!! Don't give up!!!

Rooster,

BTW A little pass rush would work wonders also.

Champ rphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the rough rphdawg's Avatar
    Offense seems too afraid to open it up. Lets go for broke.

Puppy Junkyard Dawg is an unknown Junkyard Dawg's Avatar
    But not on 3rd and 1. ?????

Looks like a long season. 3-4 wins at the most. Thought we were a little better than this. No defense. Poor offense. We may not be any better than U La La. Ugh.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgpound
    Looks like a long season. 3-4 wins at the most. Thought we were a little better than this. No defense. Poor offense. We may not be any better than U La La. Ugh.
    You're a little disappointed - perhaps you should wait a while to post! Our team has a few things to fix, but we ought to do fine in the WAC.

Champ rphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the rough rphdawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgpound
    I think the 3 blow outs that occured in the last 3 BCS games has really hurt our reputation on the national scene. I think the offense just isn't right! Can't decide if OC, McCown, or receivers fault.

The receivers don't look like they are running perfect routes and Luke seems hesitant at times.

Stop the heisman talk for good and lets win the WAC and hopefully go to a bowl game.

Big Dog NTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to behold NTXDawg's Avatar
    WOW!!!!

So you think we will win 1 or 2 WAC games. You might want to rethink that post. I think lose 2 WAC games max. Personally, I think we will lose 1 of the following: Boise, Fresno, Nevada, San Jose. But I think we have a decent shot at going undefeated in WAC play.

Champ mildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond repute mildawg's Avatar
    If we are going to win the WAC, we'd better figure out two or three things VERY quickly:

1. How to defend the pass. We have a knack of making mediocre offenses look great. This A&M offense, which was ranked 106th in the nation, had close to 500 yards of offense and scored 31 points? Look at their previous 3 games on offense vs. last night -- we made these guys look great, especially throwing the ball. Same thing happened back in 1999 against A&M when Randy McCown looked like an All-American against us. He was an average QB at best. I feel pretty confident in our run defense, but these WAC teams that throw 50+ times a game will kill us if the trend continues with our pass D.

2. How to throw the ball downfield. Once again, we threw way too many passes behind the line of scrimmage and in the 2-3 yard range -- ESPECIALLY ON 3RD DOWN! I don't know if these short passes are designed or if they are the QB's decision. We had several drives last night on which we threw multiple swing passes to Smith out of the backfield. The majority of these were completed for losses, with only a few for positive gain. I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but even a monkey learns from repetition... if these passes don't work the first 10 times you run them, then why in the world would you run them again? And why, for the third game this year, are we throwing 1 or 2-yard passes on 3rd and 10? I hate to beat a dead horse, but we've got to throw the ball downfield. That leads me to the next point...

3. How to hit an open receiver. When listening to the games on the Internet, the two most common phrases heard from Dave are "threw behind the receiver" and "overthrew his wide-open receiver." Sounds like a lot of our downfield passes are incomplete not because of good coverage, but because the ball isn't being thrown where it needs to be. Heard the same thing last year vs. Kansas State, and the overthrows were all blamed on the crown of the field. What's the excuse now? Maybe this is why we don't throw downfield more, because we can't consistently complete passes beyond 5 yards.

Just like several of the posters on this board, I, too, am tired of the excuses for why we get blown out in these big games. The thought of us winning these games on Saturday gets me excited every week. I sit up until 5 or 6 a.m. on Sunday mornings some weeks to listen to these games, hoping that we'll put it all together and beat these BCS teams. But it seems like everyone of these games over the past 3 years has come from a script -- we get down by multiple scores early in the game, and just when we seem to get rolling, everything falls apart and we get blown out.

I agree with HogDawg's remarks from another thread -- when we were stocked with D-1AA talent, 31-3 would be expected. But not anymore. Everyone wants to build this program, from our level of national prestige to our home attendance levels. But if we don't win some of these big games, we will continue to be viewed as a "mid-major" whipping boy. On a thread from our previous board, someone held a poll as to whether people on this board would rather win all our OOC games or win the WAC. I wholeheartedly say I would rather win the OOC games. Look at Fresno State last year, who beat all the big boys but then had a melt-down in WAC play. Even though they didn't win their conference, they had respect on the National level -- and it has carried over into this season. They aren't half the team this season that they were last year, but get twice the recognition than us. If we really want to build a nationally-recognized program with a large fanbase, then losing by 20, 32, and 28 points to our OOC opponents isn't going to cut it. We have the talent in place to win these games, but we won't win with these games with NFL talent if we play like we did last night.

+ Reply to Thread