+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Officiating

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar
    My take on our deep ball efforts were that we didn't go deep very often (I don't know the number). When we did throw the ball down the field Luke's touch was rather poor. The other deep throw that stood out was a 3rd and short that was ill advised and again poorly thrown.

We do not have true deep ball talent at either QB or in our recievers.

Varsity Bulldog LBP is on the way down
    Franklin and Norwood can get open deep and beat their man, we just have to get the ball to them. Not anymore of those stupid bleep bubble screens, which I hate with a very strong passion. And I also hate the words bubble screen.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    I attended last nights game in College Station. Yes, the refs made some really stupid calls, but the officials did not cause us to lose the game. Our coaches, our defenseive backs and our QB were all HORRIBLE last night.

This is is the very first Louisiana Tech game that I ever recall going to that Tech fans literally had ONLY ONE PLAY to cheer about: Luke's long run. In short, with the exception of the DL, Tech's coaches and players looked pathetic and managed to embarrass their fans and their university. This is not an overstatement.

For the record, the play calling was terrible, our defenseive backs demonstrated that they are easily the worst DB's in AMERICA, and Luke missed on more "easy" passes at Kyle Field than I've ever seen before. Tech looked much worse than a high school team. In the 2nd half, Tech couldn't even complete a simple halfback pass after the Tech receiver got 12 yards BEHIND the Aggie defender. What a missed opportunity. Aggie fans were laughing at us everywhere.

Folks, it's the same ole story with Louisiana Tech. Except this time the Tech offense absolutely REFUSED TO SHOW UP AT ALL, and the Tech defense finally "quit" in the 4th quarter. Unlike our comeback against OSU, this bunch really quit on Saturday night. I'm very disappointed.

After tonights game, I heard several Tech fans say they are cancelling their plans to go to the Rice game. I agree. I'm done. No way I make that trip. My time is more valuable than this. I literally had ONE PLAY to cheer about today and I refuse to be continually embarrassed by a team of under achievers. I couldn't care less about beating Rice and SMU now. As far as I'm concerned, Tech finished its season tonight at 1-3. It's the BCS teams that matter, not the Rice's and SMU's.

Losing to A&M by a 31-3 margin might have been expected when Tech had a team made up of mostly 1AA talent back in the 1980's. But I'll be damn if it's okay today.

HD

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    Alabama wins were years ago, Ok St. was mediocare(mispelled) at best. ther are the woest in their conference. We need to quit reminicissing over Alabama and win today. It was our chance to beat A&M. We will never prove anything beating WAC teams. We are not that good of a conference consistently.
    No - quite possibly Nebraska is worse!

Champ parisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond repute parisdog's Avatar
    I really couldn't agree with you more HogDawg. I was totally disgusted too leaving the game. I get so tired of hearing how potent our offense is, and then come in College Station and have a game like this. Our offense totally sucked. We have to go down the field more w/ our passing game!

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Officiating didn't cost us this game. Sure there were some bad calls. The interception wasn't taken away by a phantom interference. There was holding on on the play. Tech never could get any momentum because our offense was inept at best. The officials didn't affect the outcome of this game.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    First Aggie/Tech game I have missed in a long time. I paid $29.50 like many others to watch this on the tube, with all of the glorious replays, due to Saturday conflicts this weekend.

FWIW, here is my take.
    Yes the officiating sucked, too many non-holding calls to count in qtrs 2-3-4 (amazing grabbing and take-downs), both of those critical catches were IN BOUNDS in the fourth qtr (per announcers as well), those halo calls were BOGUS (per announcers as well).However that "D" interference on the INT was real. Better officiating should have kept us within 7 pts at least but this DID NOT cause our DAWGS to lose.

Deep passes:
    One of the 3 "long" passes, 1 by a WR, was incomplete because our QB and WR were not on the same page (WR turned wrong way it appeared). On the other, our QB just was plain bad. We LOOK as if WE DO NOT PRACTISE THE DEEP BALL ENOUGH during the week. WE DID NOT THROW DEEP ENOUGH>>PERIOD!! We rolled Luke to the right or he scrammbled that way but he has a tendency to not look deep. Maybe he is afraid due to coaches instructions or who knows what. Maybe he was feeling a little strange after so many years watching his brother in that stadium and cheering. Again, who knows! THROW THE BOMB AND DEEP CROSSING PATTERNS OFTEN GUYS!

Trick play:
    One trick play at A&M yesteday does not cut it! Nice thought>> I hoped it would have worked. You have to surprise these BCS teams at their house! DUH!!

DB's:
    Looked terrible in the first half but better in the 3rd and tired in the 4th.
    OL:
    They actually looked as good as they could with the Aggies knowing that they ONLY had to play 10-15 yards of the field (small box). No holding calls on them that I remember. Well maybe one.
    DL:
    Looked pretty good against the run until the 4th when tired I guess. The pass rush was just a tad late all night. NOE ABOVE HOLDING STATEMENT.
    WR:
    Need more work. But they played better than in some of the previous BCS games.
    RB:
    Play MOATS MORE COACHES! Joe can be good but we need the change in speed. GET HIM WIDE! We tried this only once. PLAY MOATS MORE!
    TE:
    Throw to them more. Looked great at times. Major Richmond's catch and run was super!

Coaching:
    WOW! SEE ALL/MOST ABOVE! Our guys looked flat at times. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT?
    I can not believe that we looked as bad against a POOR AGGIE pass attack. Did we NOT think they would pass in the first half after SLOCUM was ALL OVER THE PAPERS saying he would? Play selection SUCKS! We need to do what Slocum did last week as far as the OC is concerned! Maybe our OC needs to be upstairs instead of on the field.

The A&M "D" is good (#2 in nation) but we could have pulled this one out.
    WE WERE OUT COACHED AGAIN!

JIM O. please lighten up a little on the schedule. We looked very tired most of the night. Please, at least spread the BIG BOYS out! Next year is a killer as well. It would not bother me to play only 2 of these guys per year like the S.Miss or Louisville types.

I LOVE OUR DAWGS>>> WAC BUSTER TIME GUYS! BACK TO BACK IN THE WAC!

Puppy dhisaw is an unknown
    so, just because Tech did not live up to your expectations you are going to boycott Tech football -- you say a win over Rice and SMU don't mean anything at all -- well a certain SEC team in our state is very proud of its wins over The Citadel and Miami of Ohio --

how much do you really know about football? a big win over winless Tulsa and you think Tech has a powerful offense -- get real -- no we are not at the next level yet and maybe never will be -- but we still need to support the players -- who died and made you head judge of how well our guys played or if they "gave up" and just did not play

for those of you who do not think officiating affects a game -- just ask kentucky about their game with florida yesterday --

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    I've said all along that Luke can't throw the deep ball. He can't! Has he EVER connected on a long throw? I don't recall any.

Was watching ESPN college football highlights and some backup QB (can't remember which team) comes off the bench stone cold, no time for a proper warmup, and throws a perfect strike where the ball was 45 yards in the air and dropped perfectly on his WR's hands. McCown cannot do that, and I think Bick/Hines know that and that's why we see so many bubble screens and short passes.

I also think opposes defenses know that (they watch film) and that's why the short passes aren't working as well, that's where the defenses are concentrating, and just daring Luke to beat them long....just once!

I also think our WR corps is among the worst in Tech history. These guys are just not helping Luke at all by making plays.

An average QB and a below average WR corps is bad news when you depend on the passing game so much.

I still expect us to go no worse than 6-2 in WAC play and finish no worse than 7-5 overall. We might even slip into a bowl game too. Our defense is good enough and our running game is improved, and in comparison to the better BCS programs, the WAC is weak, so the Dawgs will be fine in conference play.

Time to focus on the road ahead: next up Rice!

Puppy Anonymous is an unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by dhisaw
    for those of you who do not think officiating affects a game -- just ask kentucky about their game with florida yesterday --
    Or ask Penn State about the calls in overtime with Iowa.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LBP
    Franklin and Norwood can get open deep and beat their man, we just have to get the ball to them. Not anymore of those stupid bleep bubble screens, which I hate with a very strong passion. And I also hate the words bubble screen.
    For once you and I agree. Good post.

Big Dog NTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to behold NTXDawg's Avatar
    After tonights game, I heard several Tech fans say they are cancelling their plans to go to the Rice game. I agree. I'm done. No way I make that trip. My time is more valuable than this. I literally had ONE PLAY to cheer about today and I refuse to be continually embarrassed by a team of under achievers.
    Shame on them and shame on you!!! That sounds much like the whiney student groups that were going to boycott because they couldn't put their letters on the hill. I didn't get to see the game, (or listen to it), but we were down 17-3 midway into the 4th quarter against A&M at Kyle field. What did you guys think we were going to score 30 pts. GET REAL. The number 4 team in the country, Va Tech scored 13 pts(7 of those thanks to 1 big pass play), and they have the best RB tandem in the country and the BIG BOYS up front to block for them. No way we were going to score more than 21 pts (and that was if we were clicking). The A&M defense is just too good.

I couldn't care less about beating Rice and SMU now. As far as I'm concerned, Tech finished its season tonight at 1-3. It's the BCS teams that matter, not the Rice's and SMU's
    While I agree that winning our OOC games is important and I want to see more Ws. WAC play is MORE important than OOC play. We proved that last year by going 0-4 yet winning the WAC and going bowling. If we go 4-0 OOC and lose the WAC, we ain't going bowling. Like it or not, we still don't have the overall talent needed to line up with the top BCS teams and compete. BUT WE ARE GETTING CLOSER.

2001 OOC 0-4
    2002 OOC 1-3
    Next Year 2-2 We beat LSU and Mich. St.

Puppy dhisaw is an unknown
    can you believe joe paterno running after and grabbing the official's shirt -- bet he wishes he could take that back!

Varsity Bulldog HounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the rough
    Shreveport / Destin / Toledo Bend/Grand Isle
    Quote Originally Posted by rphdawg
    [quote:ac571f359e="dhisaw"]i agree -- every time we do something positive there is a flag -- how frustrating for the players i really do not want to hear much negative about our players -- :twisted:
    The officiating has taken what would have been a barn burner and turned it into a blowout![/quote:ac571f359e]

I disagree. From my vantage point in a skybox, it seemed an Aggie pass rush overshadowed ANYTHING the refs did.

Varsity Bulldog LBP is on the way down
    How can any of you put down Luke. Don't ya'll know that he plays at a whole other level and is better than both Terry Bradshaw and Tim Rattay could ever dream of being because his brother played at Texas A&M. It doesn't matter how many deep passes Luke misses or poor decisions that he makes. He should be our starter no matter what because he is great and that we are really lucky to have him to be our QB.

+ Reply to Thread