+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Officiating

Varsity Bulldog LBP is on the way down
    I am sick and tired of some of you people and Bick saying that we can't run against big name schools. We have 2 guys on our OL this year that will get drafted by the NFL(Lavergne and Murff). Plus Gilmore and Lips will also very likely get a shot in the pros when their career's at Tech are done. Smith averaged 4 yards per run against PSU and we just all the sudden quit running against them. 10 carries is not enough to even get warmed up!

I am really bleep tired of these bleep bubble screens and bleep Bick says it is just like a run. No, it is not like a run, the WRs don't have an OL to block for them, it is just a one on one tackle, which the other team makes 99% of the time and we get nothing on the play. Also, the throw takes much longer than a pitch or a handoff.

The OL could get better blocking if we were not so predictible and played the big TEs, move Richmond to WR.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NTXDawg
    After tonights game, I heard several Tech fans say they are cancelling their plans to go to the Rice game. I agree. I'm done. No way I make that trip. My time is more valuable than this. I literally had ONE PLAY to cheer about today and I refuse to be continually embarrassed by a team of under achievers.
    Shame on them and shame on you!!! That sounds much like the whiney student groups that were going to boycott because they couldn't put their letters on the hill. I didn't get to see the game, (or listen to it), but we were down 17-3 midway into the 4th quarter against A&M at Kyle field. What did you guys think we were going to score 30 pts. GET REAL. The number 4 team in the country, Va Tech scored 13 pts(7 of those thanks to 1 big pass play), and they have the best RB tandem in the country and the BIG BOYS up front to block for them. No way we were going to score more than 21 pts (and that was if we were clicking). The A&M defense is just too good.

[quote:ee1ffdcb07]I couldn't care less about beating Rice and SMU now. As far as I'm concerned, Tech finished its season tonight at 1-3. It's the BCS teams that matter, not the Rice's and SMU's
    While I agree that winning our OOC games is important and I want to see more Ws. WAC play is MORE important than OOC play. We proved that last year by going 0-4 yet winning the WAC and going bowling. If we go 4-0 OOC and lose the WAC, we ain't going bowling. Like it or not, we still don't have the overall talent needed to line up with the top BCS teams and compete. BUT WE ARE GETTING CLOSER.

2001 OOC 0-4
    2002 OOC 1-3
    Next Year 2-2 We beat LSU and Mich. St.[/quote:ee1ffdcb07]

I Knew it would be a moron like you that DIDN'T SEE OR LISTEN TO THE GAME that would come on here and excuse monger for the shittiest performance I've seen by the Bulldogs in many many years.

I have an idea for you: Instead of scolding those of us that went to the game for lack of support, next time I suggest that you get off your lazy butt and make the same 8 hour roundtrip drive that I made on Saturday. Then, you MIGHT have some credibility. Until then, it's very obvious that you don't know what you're talking about.

HD

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by LBP
    I am sick and tired of some of you people and Bick saying that we can't run against big name schools. We have 2 guys on our OL this year that will get drafted by the NFL(Lavergne and Murff). Plus Gilmore and Lips will also very likely get a shot in the pros when their career's at Tech are done. Smith averaged 4 yards per run against PSU and we just all the sudden quit running against them. 10 carries is not enough to even get warmed up!

I am really bleep tired of these bleep bubble screens and bleep Bick says it is just like a run. No, it is not like a run, the WRs don't have an OL to block for them, it is just a one on one tackle, which the other team makes 99% of the time and we get nothing on the play. Also, the throw takes much longer than a pitch or a handoff.

The OL could get better blocking if we were not so predictible and played the big TEs, move Richmond to WR.

I find myself agreeing with LBP's statements in this one! What is the world is happening to me?

Champ BIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really nice
    You talk about the talent now compared to 1987:

Where is an Eddie Brown or Bobby Slaughter?

What about a Michael Richardson or Derrick Douglas?

I still have not seen a Willie Roaf!

Show me a Walter Johnson, Glennel Sanders, Eldonta Osborn!

I see no play makers on offense. We should go back to a tight end set with two backs and do some boot legs, mis-direction plays and use the running backs more to try and eat up some clock and give our D a little decent field postion. Will someone tell me why we can not contain a slow white QB?

I am sick of watching Luke turn close games into BLOW-OUTS in a matter of minutes. He is over-rated!

Varsity Bulldog LBP is on the way down
    The difference between the Tech teams now and the Tech teams during the Indy bowl time is coaching. During the Indy bowl time we had a great coaching staff that made JRP look like a genius, but all the big schools raided our staff and then we started to suck. Those teams did not have near the talent as our team does now.

How good do you think Eddie Brown and Slaugher do in this dink pass offense?

How good do you think Douglas or Richardson would do getting the ball 10 times a game with only 5 guys to block for them? Both of them are not half as good as Joe Smith. If our coaches do not ruin Smith's season he will be drafted by the NFL.

Roaf is just one guy, Lavergne is very close to his level and will probably get picked in the 1st round and maybe as high as the top 10. The rest of the OL is better than the 4 other guys in Roaf's group.

Our secondary coach really sucks and should have been fired a long time ago, better yet he should have never been hired in the 1st place.

Big Dog NTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to behold NTXDawg's Avatar
    I Knew it would be a moron like you that DIDN'T SEE OR LISTEN TO THE GAME that would come on here and excuse monger for the shittiest performance I've seen by the Bulldogs in many many years.

I have an idea for you: Instead of scolding those of us that went to the game for lack of support, next time I suggest that you get off your lazy butt and make the same 8 hour roundtrip drive that I made on Saturday. Then, you MIGHT have some credibility. Until then, it's very obvious that you don't know what you're talking about.
    I don't believe I made any excuses for our poor performance. All I said was we weren't going to score much on A&M. Why don't you try listening for a second. Our offensive talent does NOT stack up to A&M's defense. Period. That is the BEST defense that we have played in the last several years. I predicted us getting 17-21 pts if things went well. Obviously things did not go well.

I guess not seeing or listening to the game makes me lose credibility, uh. Sorry, but I had a prior commitment. And oh by the way. I'm making the 8 hour roundtrip to Rice next week and by your own admission, you are not. So I guess since I support our team win or lose. And you only support them when they win. YOU lose credibility. Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot I don't know what I'm talking about. I guess you can ignore all that stuff I just typed.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    I thought the visiting team's conference provided the refs for the game. How come they were from A&M's conference last night? It doesn't sound like it would've made a big difference, but if that's something that we negotiate, we clearly need to negotiate better - we need everything we can in the way of advantages when we play so many big games on the road!

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar
    The Austin paper had a picture from the game this morning. In it, you see an Aggie Offensive player holding a Tech defensive player. Two hands full of white jersey.

The officiating sucked bad. The momentum may have changed, but we still would have gotten beat. Horrible performance from the coaches and players.

It is time for Bick to shake things up a bit.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbitten
    It is time for Bick to shake things up a bit.
    DITTO!

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough
    I attended the game and was very disappointed at the results.

There seems to be a lot of conjecture here over whether the officiating was a factor in the results. Here's my take on the game after a day to settle down and think about it.

1. We were facing one of the very best defenses in the nation. There was no way we were going to light up the scoreboard as usual. I did'nt really see anything that looked like we adjusted our game plan to try anything to really upset or string out their D. Well, maybe a little but it was too late!!

2. It was evident all week long that they were going to radically change their offense and go to a passing game. They have good atheletes!!!! I think we have done a lot better at pass defense against a lot stronger passing teams than we saw last night. We just were'nt well prepared for what they came at us with and we didn't adjust.

3. We got beat by a superior team. It's as simple as that!!!

4. The officiating didn't cost us the ballgame. But it damn sure cost us some very critical momentum on several drives. YES, the officiating was BAD and it was EXTREMELY ONE SIDED. There were obvious holding on A&M on numerous plays that was blatant that was not called. There were several killing penalties on Tech in key situations that the Jumbotron replays ( the ones that they would show -- since I noticed on some of the worst ones they wouldn't even replay them) showed were not even close calls!! In a evenly called game, we still would have lost, but I think it would have been much closer and we would have had more points on the board, they could have had less. And probably some of our "fair-weather" supporters would have less to bitch about!!

5. Under some very adverse conditions, the defense did a good job of us keeping us in the thing. Don't forget they shut down the Aggies 3 times inside the red zone, some of that position due to questionable calls from the Aggies' "13th Man" last night. The refs!! No, in spite of what some others on here think, I definitely do no think that the defense gave up in the 4th quarter!!

6. Hopefully, our coaches gained a little from this experience. I think we probably outcoached somewhat, but that's a hard call. The guys on the other side of the field had a stable full of fast strong horses and their stable was a lot bigger than ours. So in the end their job was a lot easier than that of our coaches.

7. I, for one WILL NOT give up on the Dawgs!!!! I've been a fan through thick and thin for over 45 years and I've always supported them win or lose!!!

Varsity Bulldog Rossp917 is an unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses
    I do hope that there is not a bunch of posters that come on and moan about the officiating, because it was a NON FACTOR!
    I completely disagree with you. I understand that you do not want to seem like a poor fan, but I know that you were not at the game. There were two poor calls on the halo violation giving A&M really good field position. The call back on Curry's pass because of "Offensive pass interference," which supposedly occurred 20 yards away from the reception (NOT OPI...but a made up call). Norwoods reception for 20+ yards being called out of bounds (which it wasn't). The missed pass interference call on the deflected ball in the endzone. The "defensive holding" call on our interception (which ended up giving the aggies another 7 if I am not mistaken). Since you were obviously not paying attention to the game, these were thrown almost exclusively by the west sideline judge.

I hate to sound like a moaner, but where these hurt us were in the intangibles. Player and team morale get completely shot when a call like that is made and there is nothing that you can do. Once or twice you can get over, but I have listed 4 penalties given to us and one pass taken away from us that made a major differential in the yardage, and in the spirit of the game.

We may or may not have won the game last night were it not for the penalties, I cannot say, but I will guarantee you that the game would have been much closer were it not for the officials taking the wind out of our players.

Oh, and just in case you didn't know...the 12th man is a referee.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar
    I've waited more than 24 hours to post and have read most of the posts -- good and bad. Unusual for me, but I'm straddling the fence! I'll explain.

The officials were awful; they made three technically correct calls that under most circumstances are not made (e.g., the ball is in the air to the right sideline when a hold occurs on the opposite sideline) and they threw at least two flags that were "bad" wrong. Notice I don't mention the numerous non-calls. Did they keep us from winning? No. Did the prevent us from being in position to win? Yes. They sapped our strength and morale...all night long.

As for the play calling, it was not good. The game plan did nothing to take advantage of a perceived A&M weakness -- its secondary. We threw over 10 yards only 5 times that I remember...and two were completions. We ran at A&Ms strength all night!

The defensive game plan wasn't much better. I'd like to ask Caoch Smith why we didn't pin our ears back and go after an untested QB especially if we weren't going to bump the receivers at the line or play them tight. Heck, we rarely blitzed and always gave their receivers a 5 step cushion!

Am I pissed? Yes. Should we have won? I'd like to think so, but given the above plus A&Ms loss last week and the fact that RC says A&Ms current Wreckin' Crew is the best he's had in 10 years...I'd say I was happy when we made it to the 4th quarter down 17 - 3...we were in the game!

Finally, I think about Luke's 53 yard run and wonder how the night might have been different if he'd scored. I also wonder how the night might have been different with a WAC crew officiating. With the latter, we wouldn't be left wondering about how the intangibles affected our players.

I'll be at Rice...I hope most of y'all are too.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin
    Unfortunately I couldn't attend the game and watched it instead on an 8 ft x 8 ft big screen with Aaron Capps' parents & a bunch of Aggie fans. The Aggies fans around us were laughing at their own refs about the one-sidedness of the calls.

The game was close until the 4th quarter (17-3). Then we hit the Aggies QB as he was passing and intercepted the football which would have been a huge momentum boost for us. Instead the Big12 refs called a phantom defensive pass interference. TX A&M then went on to score 7 pts on that drive and then we threw the INT (our only turnover) which gave A&M another 7 pts for the final score of 31-3.

In the first or second quarter A&M had 3 penalties for 30 yards. Around the time of the 2nd pick which was called back, LA Tech had 97 yards in penalties while A&M still only had the 30.

But hey, it's extremely difficult to beat ranked BCS teams, their refs, & the home crowd.

Our guys looked good and are definitely ready for WAC conference play!
    We were not dominated on the defensive side of the ball and I think we put up more offensive yards than VaTECH did against them -

We had several key calls that might have shaped the outcome of the game -

And we won the turnover battle, with only one late meaningless interception -

Basically we had NO field position all night long -

I'll stick with JBIII and his coaches, by in large they are doing a fairly good job and have us in position to win 8 or 9 ballgames and go to a bowl for the second strait year...

We just don't have BCS talent 8 deep - that has been very evident the past two ballgames...

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses
    This was a pure and simple ass whipping. We may have gotten a bad call or so, but it had nothing to do with the outcome of this fiasco.

I paid $29.95 to see a complete domination by the Aggies. We looked terrible on both sides of the ball. The Aggies looked like Penn State on offense. Everything they tried worked and we never figured them out.

It was another terribly coached game, IMO. We were again totally predictable and Luke couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, and when he did, it was either dropped or for a puny gain or loss.
    Luke's scramble for 50+ yards was the ONLY highlight that I can recall.

I do hope that there is not a bunch of posters that come on and moan about the officiating, because it was a NON FACTOR!

Poor officiating definitely was a factor in this game. It was 17-3 in the 4th quarter.

Bulldog JohnStOnge seems to have something between the earsJohnStOnge seems to have something between the earsJohnStOnge seems to have something between the earsJohnStOnge seems to have something between the earsJohnStOnge seems to have something between the earsJohnStOnge seems to have something between the earsJohnStOnge seems to have something between the ears
    <<Listening to Dan, it sounds like we are getting hosed. >>

Consistent with what was said in the post at the McNeese Delphi board that made me come here to read about it. In fact, the exact quote was, "Tech got hosed this last week."

The conversation was about the difficulty of being a "small" school trying to win on a Big 12 field with Big 12 officials.

Don't know if it's real or not...but the perception is certainly there.

+ Reply to Thread