+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Halo Violation Calls

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar
    I haven't posted my thoughts on Sat. night because most of you have already covered it. Hogdawg - You beat me to the punch on you Priceless thread. Was thinking myself about the amount of money I'm dumping into this program to get these types of results. But I'm not going to dwell on it.

I have a question and possible suggestion concerning the halo calls. For those of you not at the game, here is what happened TWICE:

Dustin punts a high one. aTm receiver stands still and calls for the fair catch (1 time I think, the other he didn't). Tech coverage stops 5-7 yds. from the receiver (outside the halo). aTm blocker is in front of our defender. aTm receiver, RIGHT BEFORE THE BALL GETS THERE sprints 3-5 yds up TOWARD our defender to catch the ball causing the Tech defender to be INSIDE the halo at the time the ball is caught.

As much as I think this is a bogus call, I think it is TECHNICALLY correct. I FIRMLY believe that aTm PRACTICED this and we need to as well. Let's take ADVANTAGE of a BAD rule to get another 10 yds. on the start of our drive. Rather than standing right where the ball is going to be, stand BACK a little, let the defenders commit to their spot, then run up to the ball to get the call.

Thoughts?

TDF

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    You can't defend it and if you don't have tite coverage against a team like A&M or Clemson - their guy catches the ball and runs right by you -

And most of the time, the halo was not penetrated Saturday nite...

The A&M defense allowed a COMBINED 99 yards rushing to VaTECH's talented tandem the week before - for those who thought we were going to lite them up needed to have your heads examined -

And for those who thought the players didn't sell out and give 100% need their heads examined also - I'm not making excuses, Luke didn't have a great game, but he didn't lose it either -

Our offensive play calling needs some work, but by enlarge we played a pretty good game all around...

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar
    That happened at Tulsa too!

It is technically correct, the rule is what is screwed up.

A defender should be allowed in the halo if the receiving team has a blocker in the halo. There is no way the coverage team knows where the ball is.

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough
    Well, TDF, you have some good points, but please recall that on one of the halo "violations" (which was well verified by the replay on the Jumbotron) the A&M receiver dropped the ball casuing the Tech defender to go for it. the Tech defender was well outside the halo until this happened. when the Receiver fumbled it was a new ball game and the halo rule was kaput!!! But the Aggie 13th man didn't see it that way.

Varsity Bulldog Bluedawg has turned a few heads around hereBluedawg has turned a few heads around here
    Also, on one of those calls did our defender not touch the A&M receiver when he caught the ball on a fair catch? I thought that was only a 5 yard penalty, yet they gave A&M 10yds. Can someone clarify?

Varsity Bulldog bulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nicebulldogengr is just really nice bulldogengr's Avatar
    this year, the new rule is 10 yd penalty, i know it is bad, but what is the penalty if you just hit them (15?) the halo rule is the worst call in all of college football

Varsity Bulldog Bluedawg has turned a few heads around hereBluedawg has turned a few heads around here
    Thanks. I suppose I just missed the change.

+ Reply to Thread