+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone else wish we would take the ball on offense first?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    We win the coin toss how many times this year and choose to kick the ball away instead of RAMMING it down their throat! What's up with that? I bet our offense and entire team sees this as weak (they should at this point now). And while we are on signs of weakness; how many times have we NOT gone for it on 4th and short on their end of the field when you HAVE to go ALL OUT to win these games (especially at somebody's house)? I bet that gets our "O" and "D" down as well! OK>>I feel better now (NOT!!). It's late.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    We had the perfect set up at Rice we score to close out the first half and go up 20-14 then we get the ball to start the 2nd half. If we drive hte ball down the field and score a TD we are up 27-14 and I don't see us losing that is exactly what I was thinking and wishing for but it didn't happen. It seems our philosophy has changed a little though to where we do usually kick off as to where we used to receive all the time. I like it either way really it doesn't change the fact that we still have to stop people on D and score TD's not field goals to win games.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Gary Crowton explained one time at the Ruston QB luncheon about defering until the 2nd half.

He said that the team that receives the ball in the 2nd half generally gets an extra possesion over the period of the game.

This was based on 20-something years of statistical analysis by Coach Levell Edwards at BYU.

I do not have a complaint about that.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ
    Gary Crowton explained one time at the Ruston QB luncheon about defering until the 2nd half.

He said that the team that receives the ball in the 2nd half generally gets an extra possesion over the period of the game.

This was based on 20-something years of statistical analysis by Coach Levell Edwards at BYU.

You know I forgot about that quote. Thanks!

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ

Excuse my reaction EJ, but I think that is pure BULLS$HT !

From a purely statistical standpoint on 1st possessions, both teams are purely equal. Any differences in subsequent possessions are due to in-game factors like who can make first downs and control the game.

I've seen us defer too many times and lose the momentum we might have if we took the kick. (Think how different the Nebraska game might have been if we had taken the ball and moved it on them. By NOT doing that we allowed them to "cow" us and we didn't recover until halftime. Then look what happened afterwards) Cripes, this is especially true when you have a questionable defense and a strong offense. You want to take the ball, ram it down their throats and plant a seed in their minds. If we had an iron defense and no offense, then the decision might be different but I would still qustion it even then!! I think the only real justifiable decision for deferring would be a situation where there was an extremely strong wind factor you wanted to try to neutralize.

I find it extremely hard to believe that a 20 year analysis showed what Crowton claimed. If it did, then I would suspect the analysis used very selective (instead of random) data (sort of Al Gore style)to try to prove a point.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar
    I would like to see that statistical data too. I could be wrong, but I believe most coaches defer to receive the 2nd half kickoff for two reasons:

1. They hope to just keep the score close in the first half & establish game momentum in the second half when their offense doesn't have all the opening game tensions & nervousness.

2. The coach has more confidence in his defense's ability to stop the opponent than he has in his offense's ability to pick up first downs & successfully drive the ball ~80 yards for a score.

If your defense is strong & can send the opponent 3 & out from their own 20-30 you'll probably receive the punt around your own 35-40 yard line: great starting field position for your offense. Conversely, if your offense can't convert first downs, your opponent gets the good starting field position if you have to punt.

I personally think coach Bicknell has a lot more confidence in our defense than he does in our offense & that's why he defers to the 2nd half. This could be the same reason we punt so often on 4th & inches and the reason we kick field goals from the opponent's 2 yard line instead of having the offense go for it.
    ________
    Storz & bickel grinder
    Last edited by DogsWin; 04-18-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin

I personally think coach Bicknell has a lot more confidence in our defense than he does in our offense & that's why he defers to the 2nd half. This could be the same reason we punt so often on 4th & inches and the reason we kick field goals from the opponent's 2 yard line instead of having the offense go for it.
    That is part of my point. I think the offense needs to see JBIII's confidence in them at this critical portion of the season as they also needed, and did not get, early on .

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    to the fact that we are not doing the things that has made us successful in the past -

1) A very aggressive offense (75% of all plays are within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage and they are LONG developing plays)...

2) Passing to set up the run...

3) A defense that doesn't HAVE to win ballgames for you, they just have to be servicable and get turnovers...

We miss John Simon more than I thought we would, Luke doesn't look like he has any TRUE confidence on any receiver to make the grab at any point in the ball game -

and if you will look on Tanuki's WAC preview - you will see that I stated that would be one of the main keys to this offense - replacing #8...

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Actually, Dwayne, I disagree to a certain extent on the importance of John. I think it was all our receivers. The receivers we graduated last year could be counted on to make half the catches that aren't being caught this year. It wasn't just John. I think that if our recievers were performing to the standards with which we are accustomed, John Simon would be a second thought.

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    Actually, Dwayne, I disagree to a certain extent on the importance of John. I think it was all our receivers. The receivers we graduated last year could be counted on to make half the catches that aren't being caught this year. It wasn't just John. I think that if our recievers were performing to the standards with which we are accustomed, John Simon would be a second thought.
    Dirty...

I'm with you on this one. I think a lot of the crap that's being tossed into Luke's lap properly belong's to the receivers.

Champ rphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the rough rphdawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pup60
    [quote:633f646cb1="Dirtydawg"]Actually, Dwayne, I disagree to a certain extent on the importance of John. I think it was all our receivers. The receivers we graduated last year could be counted on to make half the catches that aren't being caught this year. It wasn't just John. I think that if our recievers were performing to the standards with which we are accustomed, John Simon would be a second thought.
    Dirty...

I'm with you on this one. I think a lot of the crap that's being tossed into Luke's lap properly belong's to the receivers.[/quote:633f646cb1]

The direct responsibily falls to the new 1st year at the position of receivers coach. The routes these guys are running are not crisp and they don't know how to catch a ball with their hands. Next in line is coach hines for not conforming the offense to the players he has on the roster. IF they can't understand multiple sets then change the offense or start recruiting valedictorians instead of prop 48's. Did Rice outsmart us?

THe ultimate responsibilty falls to Coach Bicknell for placing these unqualified coaches, who I am sure are good ole' boys, in these key areas. Instead of always being frustrated, its time he holds his coaches responsible.

My division manager at my job holds me responsible for 39 stores when I hardly see them once a quarter. It is time all coaches are accountable for there performances of their players.

+ Reply to Thread