+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Status of the program

Bulldog Lando is an unknown
    Alright, here we are well into the Bicknell regime and I think I can see a few trends:

1. Our defense is getting better....at a snail's pace. I understand not to expect too much, but teams still average over 400 yards against us.

2. Talent level is getting better? I have been hearing this, but not sure I believe it anymore.

3. We never seem to develop a good game plan for ANY team we play, except the really bad ones where one is not really needed.

4. Of the teams we play with "equal" levels of talent, ie Boise, Fresno, Hawaii, etc. our team never seems to "Click" and we win a decisive game. IF we beat these teams, it seems to be by 49-45 or something. A win is a win, but in the back of your mind, you still wonder why we gave up 495 yards.

So in light of these (if you agree), what is the problem? Coaching staff? Not as much talent as advertised? Bad play calling? I used to follow Tech football very closely, even traveled to many far away games. However, I have lost some zeal after watching year after year of defensive suckiness. It is as though the administration won't make the changes that is so clear to everyone else.

Lets hear from Beef.

Varsity Bulldog former_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really nice
    Having seen only two games this year (one on tv and one live). The offense looked good (ok state and penn st) until half time (penn st) after that we were out coached. There is some talent on the team and the d is getting better but some changes will have to be made with the play calling.

I think the d will always give up a lot of yards and points because of the passing offense. There are more total plays in a game where the clock stops every down (every 7 to 10 seconds the clock stops). If you run the ball the clock may run 30 to 40 seconds between plays cutting the total number of plays that your defense will have to play. I live in saint louis and we have lived with people scoring alot of points for the same reasons.

Tech is in a good spot to have winning records year in and year out. The other teams in the wac will never be that much if any better talent wise than tech. A little softer ooc would help. Right now, the coaching staff has to try to make some changes right or wrong at the half of games. If the changes don't work try something different next week.

I want us to win and will be here no matter what. Go RAMS, DAWGS, SLU, and HAWGS.

I must be in hell this year pulling for all of these losers, but better times are coming.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    Good post Lando-
    Excluding last week I thought our D was getting better and had a decent chance to put up good numbers when we don't turn the ball over inside our own 30 and give the opponents a short field. I think the talent level is getting better. Is it as good as we thought I don't think so, but we will soon find out. I hope it has been b/c we are losing all of our D next year basically, maybe that isn't bad but we have some good athletes back there. And the talent we have signed the last few years will get to shine or stink next year on defense. I wonder how long it will take coach Smith's scheme time to become second nature or is it even difficult to pick up? Surely another year running the same scheme won't hurt, but I think we are lacking playmakers on D.

Excellent point about us playing teams with similar talent level. Our coaching staff is pretty green in experience at D1 level but how different is it? I don't know b/c I have never coached. Personally, I don't feel like it is ALL the coaches fault. They don't miss tackles and blow coverages that give up TD's or throw INTs that lose games. If a play works when you call it-it's a great call. If a play doesn't work it is predictable- just MHO. Every play is designed to work and if the players do what they are suppossed to do- it does work, regardless if the D knows what is coming-it helps if they don't though. I am sure they are doing their best this week to right the ship. I only hope the players can do what they're asked and we put a whippin' on smu.

Big Dog BCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to all
    Lando

I think you have said some things that are very much on the mark. Defense does seem to be improving, but it's hard to tell since they have to spend so much time on the field after the O goes three and out lately.

I am confused about the talent also. We hear it's getting better and I want to believe it is...but it's hard to tell.

Game Plans? Do we ever have one? We do seem to struggle against "beatable" teams. Yes a Win is a Win, but I'm so worn out at the end of the game, you have to wonder how the players feel at the end.

I've been watching for years also, and it does get frustrating but I just keep coming back for more. I'm not convinced that better coaching wouldn't get more out of less talented players. I think there is a correlation there. We may have good players and a coaching staff that is too young and inexperienced at coaching to get it out of them. I'm not including Petey and Ed in that comment.

I definately believe there could be better play calling. But I don't want to get too negative. But there are things that just don't seem to add up. We have come a long ways from the days of getting our tails waxed 72-3, 60-0, etc. Even our butt beatings by Penn State this year and A&M were different. We were in those ballgames until we took ourselves out.

I think it comes down to who is in charge...and I'm not sure who that is right now.

P.S. allowing half the team to be out half the night prior to the Rice game I don't think helps matters. I understand from a good source that did in fact happen. Who's fault is that???

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    The comment that bothers me most about a game plan is JB saying over and over it depends what the defense gives us-I'd much rather hear we are going to do this to them and spread them out and throw this or that at them and this may just be coach talk but it makes it sound like we don't come up with a plan and we go into the game with 3-4 plans depending on what they do instead of what WE WANT to do that fits our strengths. It's probably just coaches talk.

Lando we always have room for more fans come on back! Get you a blue shirt and show up Oct. 26!

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    I heard from someone who went to the QB CLub meeting in Ruston on Monday that Coach Bicknell said he had let a few things happen discipline-wise that goes against his coaching philosophy and that he was taking resposibility for that and would change it.

Was he talking about player curfews maybe? Does anyone that went to the QB club want to comment??

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    I was there, and he really wouldn't want the specific instances posted on this board. However, it was "little" things he was talking about. Absolutely nothing major. It was little things that players were doing that were subtle hints of disrespect. Our coach is a good, hard working man, who loves his players, and believes in himself and his team. He is young, but he learns from his mistakes. He sure needs our support, especially if a player bolts because he doesn't like the discipline that apparently will be tightened.

Big Dog TXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the rough TXDAWG81's Avatar
    Didn't Bick have a reputation as being tough on the team when he first came to LT? Has he let up? Is that what's causing our lack of focus on fundamentals? Is he afraid that some "Blue Chippers" might take their game and go somewhere else? If so... "Let 'Em"[/b]

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar
    We have the talent on offense, conroy just doesn't know how to use it.

These are no longer players recruited by crowton for crowtons offense. These are quicker receivers, why cant we change the offense.

Also, when Crowton designed this offense it was at a time when we had NO running game. So he used the screen pass as our run. Now we are both running and screen passing. Its just like running all the time. Hines needs to be demoted, PERIOD.

Big Dog BCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to all
    If a player bolts because he doesn't like the disicpline...good riddance. This is a team sport and everyone has to abide by the rules. All for one and one for all.

I completely support strict rules and holding players accountable. If Coach Bicknell ends up running some off because of rules...I'll be dang proud of him.

Somebody has to be in charge...and it isn't the players.

Varsity Bulldog beef is on the way down beef's Avatar
    That comment about Hines needing to be demoted period was right on. He is not innovative enough to keep up with the changing strengths and weaknesses of our team. He tries to use a Tim Rattay and Bobby Ray Tell game plan on Luke McCown and Joe Smith's team. Also, he is as predictable as the sunrise.

The thing about players staying out all night before the Rice game doesn't surprise me. A certain former wide receiver and soon to be Ruston business owner told me that the same thing happened before the H-Bowl. Bicknell doesn't seem to have control over his players, which also probably means he doesn't have his respect And if your players don't respect you then they probably won't play as hard for you. Here is an example. Bicknell said at the first luncheon in Shreveport that he didn't want the guys taping up their shoes but that they wanted to do it because it looked cool. He just lets them anyway because he is weak. :x
    BUSH CHENEY 2004

Bulldog Lando is an unknown
    Appreciate the input. I have watched many games under Bicknell and they all appear THE SAME. We never change anything. Our plan either works and we win, or it doesn't an we lose. That simple.

I don't understand either why Bicknell seems to be having the problems of a newbie coach...he is WAC coach of the year. He should have a better handle on things.

Nevada will be a big test for Bicknell to see if he can actually show some leadership to righten things, or if we will try the same old game plan.

I fear Fresno.

After getting BLOWN by Rice and listening to the game and reading some comments from folks who were there I fear everyone left on our schedule. Going to BSU isn't looking so easy right now either and I don't think they are as slow as everyone seems to think.

2005 NFL Survivor Contest Champion RXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of light RXDAWG's Avatar
    I fear: Fresno St., Boise St.,
    You never know: Nevada, San Jose St.
    I don't fear: SMU, UTEP

Varsity Bulldog old dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of light
    I have never played or coached football, but I truly enjoy watching our bulldogs play.

I say that because I am about to make a comment which may be totally ignorant, but I guess I am entitled to my opinion.

I think our biggest problem on offense is that we only have two receivers who can catch the ball on a consistent basis. I have seen most of the games this year, and the number of dropped passes has been incredible. Teams in previous years have had four or five guys that you could count on to catch the ball. That has to put pressure on the opposing defenses.

I suspect, although Luke would never say it, that those dropped passes have affected him as well. I wonder if he forces passes to the guys he can trust or holds onto the ball rather than throw to a guy who is open but has dropped a couple of passes.

Hopefully, Corey Berlin will be able to return against SMU, and we will have three guys we can count on in critical situations. Also, hopefully, the guys who are dropping passes will learn that they can't get yards after the catch without the football.

+ Reply to Thread