+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JOE SMITH, JOE SMITH, JOE SMITH!!!

Puppy BULLDAWG is an unknown
    I totally agree DogsWin. We should run the ball to set up the pass, especially in WAC games. We have a big offensive line and veteran running back.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BULLDAWG
    I totally agree DogsWin. We should run the ball to set up the pass, especially in WAC games. We have a big offensive line and veteran running back.
    Not to beat a horse to death, but one more clarification, since some can easily misunderstand that "run to set up the pass" comment. I am NOT advocating running the ball from the I-formation on first down, then running the ball again on 2nd down, and finally passing the ball on 3rd down.

I am saying pass the ball (LONG) on first down, pass or run on 2nd down, and for goodness sake 90% of the time RUN THE BALL ON 3rd & SHORT!!!! I'm sick of the 30-yard incompletions downfield on 3rd down & 2, fade passes on the opponent's goal line,... Also, Joe Smith & our OL can pick up the needed yardard on 4th down & inches- let them do it!

And as stated earlier I'm only asking that we run the ball about 50% of the time in road games. Keep throwing the ball in our home games.

Just put the ball in the hands of our productive seniors on offense! There is no senior on the offensive side of the ball who has been more productive this season than Joe Smith. And catching the football is NOT (nor should it be) Joe's biggest strength! We have big running backs who are not turning the ball over and they have a big, veteran offensive line to run behind.

Coaches, please utilize this offensive strength to it's full potential!
    ________
    Digital Vaporizers
    Last edited by DogsWin; 04-18-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Varsity Bulldog dawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nice dawg419's Avatar
    You have got to believe that the coaches in the WAC are aware of Joe' stats running the ball and have to respect that ability by the Tech offense. It seems to me that we don't capitalize on this by running enough as said previously, but also capitalizing on this strength by running play action with Luke under center where the defense has to honor the running game. It makes the secondary have to respect the running game as well, and this will help our receivers. Just my opinion

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    Good points DW, I wasn't at the game Sat., but from what I remember we ran the ball a few times our first 2-3 drives got no yardage or lost yardage and abandoned the run after that. Part of that was b/c of the score but I'm just going on memory alone not stats or a play sheet. No doubt Joe Smith has been very productive this year even OOC and last year Joe ate WAC defenses for lunch and dinner. I think getting Hulett back should help b/c I bet he'll start against SMU.

2005 NFL Survivor Contest Champion RXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of light RXDAWG's Avatar
    Very good point! Establish the run to set up the play action!! What a novel concept. Are you listening OC!!!

Puppy BULLDAWG is an unknown
    Let's shock SMU 8O and use a fullback. I don't care if we are know as a passing school. I want to win and if takes running the ball then run the damn ball. Start off the game with a couple of deeper thrown balls and set up the run.

Just win, baby!!!

Champ TechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud of TechsasDawg's Avatar
    DW, I agree that Joe and the OL can get the needed short yardage, I am not sure that the play calling would give them a chance. It needs to be up the middle, where Joe does the most good, and not to the outside where he doesn't have TE blocking, and tends to be met in the backfield. Bad play calling can ruin the most productive running back in the NFL.

TD
    ~~

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechsasDawg
    DW, I agree that Joe and the OL can get the needed short yardage, I am not sure that the play calling would give them a chance. It needs to be up the middle, where Joe does the most good, and not to the outside where he doesn't have TE blocking, and tends to be met in the backfield. Bad play calling can ruin the most productive running back in the NFL.

TD
    ~~
    I would disagree about always running up the middle. I think there needs to be a good mix of inside (middle) runs and outside runs. Doing one or the other all the time will never work, just like running a screen pass every other play does not work. Ya gotta mix it up! :roll3: :nuts:

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar
    I think the coaches should watch the Auburn game from last year. We mixed up the short passes, long passes, and runs very well. Joe had 120+ yardage that game. We had quite a few ints., but the Auburn QB was giving them right back to us. We also used Simon on quite a few running plays.

Champ TechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud of TechsasDawg's Avatar
    You're absolutely right, EJ. Mixing it up is the answer no matter what type of game you are talking of. I was speaking strictly of the short yardage situation. Joe can always gain a couple of yards up the middle (between the ends), but his chances are way less if he has to go outside for short yardage, and there are no ends around to block for him.

TD
    ~~

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar
    Just fire Hines! He doesn't know what he is doing!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Do we have any plays where we trap block? I kind of doubt it, at least, I don't recall seeing any such plays.

Our entire offensive scheme is too simple. High schools, heck! junior high schools are running more sophiscated plays than Tech is. The defense is never "kept honest" and can simply key in on a few formations. From there they can guess what the play(s) will be.

I'm not losing any sleep over Tech's football woes, it's not important enough. But, it is disappointing, as a Tech football fan, to see how badly Hines has ruined our offense.

Seems like our program continues through a "two steps forward, one step back" routine. Hines is that current "step back."

I doubt this team, because of poor leadership, can salvage the 2002 season. (hope they prove me wrong). But, 2003 will be a new year, an exciting year, with an awesome schedule! And, if Luke follows the pattern, he'll have a breakout season in his senior year. (hopefully under a new OC)

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar
    Fresno State absolutely RAN over SMU yesterday. Why? Because they could- AND WE CAN TOO IF WE'LL JUST DO IT IN THE 2nd HALF!

Starting RB Rodney Davis had ~85 yards in the 1st half on ~16 carries- almost IDENTICAL stats to Joe Smith's 1st half numbers vs. Rice. Davis went on to finish the game with a new career high 201 yards rushing on 21 attempts.

In the 2nd half Fresno St. didn't abandon their running game, they just kept on running the ball, rotating basically 3 RBs. In all, their offense ran the ball 36 times (60% of their total plays) and only attempted 24 passes (40 %). This was with a phenominal QB, Paul Pinegar, who had thrown 8 TDs vs only 2 INTs going into the game! Notice Pinegar's # of INTs at the bottom of the Fresno St. stats- ZERO!

NET YARDS RUSHING 234
    Rushes 36
    Average per rush 6.5

NET YARDS PASSING 198
    Completion-attempted 13-24
    Yards per pass 7.1
    Sacked-yards lost 4-34
    Had intercepted 0

It's a simple offensive formula: Less GIVEAWAYS + establish a RUNNING GAME= WINs!
    ________
    Head Shop
    Last edited by DogsWin; 04-18-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Do we do that zone blocking? That's okay, once in awhile, or against Tulsa anytime, but most defenses defeat zone blocking rather easily, if that's all you do.

Do we trap block?

+ Reply to Thread