+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Offense: What are the answers?

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough
    Those pictures tell it all, TDF.

During the Rice game, one of my freinds who went to another school and was seeing his first Tech game, commented several times after a disasterous offensive possession as to why none of the coaches were talking to Luke or the receivers.

I did see Luke come over and try to jack up the receivers but seemingly to no avail. It's true that Luke appears to be in a funk but most of that may be due to the hole he's being constantly tossed into with no rope or ladder to get out!!

I think The Historian and Hogdawg summmed up everything perfectly and those posts should be forwarded to Oakes, Bicknell, and the Coordinators. The only thing I would change would be to add more emphasis on being able to adapt to the opponent's halftime changes. We seem to lose this every time!!

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    Any QB less athletic than Luke would already be injured this year.

The season of playing murderers row defenses is gone. Of course, we will face better defenses than Rice this year but that whole game was shot.

Let Luke have a chance against the WAC before yanking him out.

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough
    Quote Originally Posted by ST5
    Great post, Historian. Were any of you at the QB luncheon in Shreveport before the OSU game? I don't know how to say this without naming names in a negative way but I will give it a shot. Bicknell claimed that one of our running backs, let's say a 'scat' back wasn't too swift on an academic level and couldn't translate signals from the sideline. For instance, if the signal man showed pitch right, he would hold out his right hand, well, this scat back would see the hand pointing to his left because he was facing the signal man and run pitch left.
    Assuming this is true and I have no reason to think it's not. for a coach to say something like this in public (even though it may be true) is horrible leadership! This amounts to fingerpointing in public to one of his own players. It also amounts to searching for a scapegoat!! A true leader would take the guy aside and deal with the communicationn problem firmly but privately!!!! And in public, HE as the leader, HAS to take the heat and "blame" for organizational failures, regardless of which individaual committed them.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute
    This ain't some feelgood seminar some motivational speaker is giving. This is college football at the highest level. I know that when I played in high school and made a mistake the team captain jumped my ass on the field and the coach jumped my ass when I came off the field. The team captain was also my best friend off the field. We shouldn't be worried about somebody getting their feelings hurt. I would imagine Luke doesn't want to talk to anybody after he throws an interception, but, he should be with the rest of the offense discussing what they are going to do when they get the ball back. Walking around pouting is not going to help. I remember Bradshaw did the same thing his first 2-3 years in the NFL, but as he matured and got better he became the team leader and it reflected on the rest of the team and culminated in the Steelers winning 4 Super Bowls. The team is not getting the leadership from the QB that it needs on offense because the QB has lost his confidence. Whose fault is that, the HC,of course, for not changing QB's and talking to the QB that is making the mistakes. I've always thought Steve Spurrier is the best football coach in the country, college or pro. He will not hesitate to pull his starting QB when he makes a mistake.

DonW...

You're absolutely right about this not being a motivational speech venue.

I agree that the coach(es) should be in their face and chew butt the instant they come off the field, when thy're not performing to their potential. But the fact is that this in not happening very much.

But I maintain that it is inexcuseable to go to a different public venue and directly finger point at your players. You are right that 'ole Steve really gets in their face during games. But I think you would be hard pressed to find an instance when he publicly finger pointed at one of his players. In fact, he is very good at taking that heat himself!!! Even when it's not his fault!!

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute
    Don't include James Jordan in that list of great receivers. He was a big underachiever and I've seen him drop lots of passes. He was also the one who tried to lead the revolt against Bicknell. You also left out one of our greatest receivers, Tommy Spinks. Jordan couldn't carry his jockstrap.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    Billy is on the list -- second name.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by DONW
    .....The team is not getting the leadership from the QB that it needs on offense because the QB has lost his confidence. Whose fault is that, the HC,of course,.....
    Don, One memory of Bradshaw(at TECH) I have was his constant working the team on the sidelines the games I was fortunate to make. I remember thinking, what a pain this guy must be, constantly in your face. But, What leadership. He displayed what he had invested in was the success of the team.
    Team players need to think of that every day on the practice field and certainly, the night before in the big city!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEY TEAM, YOU LISTENING?????? You may not give a spit, but man, don't let your teammates down! (not to mention us judgemental fans and alums)

Sorry, did someone(Pup 60) say this wasn't a motivational venue???

[glow=red:fab674f249]MAKE THE INVESTMENT, PAY THE PRICE ! ![/glow:fab674f249]

Those of us who got to see Bradshaw play at Tech are very lucky, even though that makes us old farts. I'm prejudice, but I still think he's the best QB I've ever seen in college. He called his own plays and he was the master at throwing the long ball and the crossing patterns. I will never forget the 82 yard bomb to Liberto at the State Fair game with 25 seconds left on the clock. You would have to say he was kind of cocky in some of the plays he called. I remember in one game where he threw a 70 yard pass to Robby Albright and it was called back because of a penalty. Bradshaw called the same play again and hit Albright for the TD and this time it wasn't called back. Did anyone catch him on the Tonight show a couple of nights ago? He's got another book out.

Varsity Bulldog LBP is on the way down
    Poor little ole Causey doesn't get a chance.

Varsity Bulldog rlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of lightrlmiddle is a glorious beacon of light
    I have been to the Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, and Rice games and one thing that I noticed that I haven't seen anyone comment about is the fact that Luke is constantly hopping around in the pocket and not getting his feet set. Maybe it is because he doesn't have the confidence in his receivers this year that he had last year, but I believe that is one of the primary reasons a lot of his throws have not be as on target as they were last year. I also think that this is probably more of a coaching error, because he has been doing this since the beginning of the season and I believe that the coaches should have worked with him on correcting this problem by now.

+ Reply to Thread