+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "New" post question

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    This is a question concerning folders with new posts in it. I noticed that if I open a folder that has new posts then sign out before reading all the threads with new posts, when I sign back in, those threads that I didn't read don't show as having new posts, so I don't know which ones I need to read. Am I the only one who has this problem?

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar
    DD,

No, this is by design of the message board program. MOST programs out there don't keep a history of what you have and haven't seen. The reason for that is to do this, the program must keep a complete history of each individual user's activity which can get a little cumbersome. This program and most others just keep a log of when you last visited the site. That's a single piece of data for every user.

We know this is significantly different than what everyone is used to. We had a mod available for YaBB to do that, but don't for phpbb. This mod is being written per our request!!! I have been incontact with the mod writer and what was going to be a 20-30 hour job is turning into a lot more.

Now that we are on the new server, we will now be able to use the previous site for mod testing and installation. We want to make sure everything is working correctly before we install it here, where everyone is visiting. We WILL get this feature. But remember, we were 60-90 days from being ready to roll this site out when we were hacked. And that delayed some of the development work for about 3 weeks. We're going to start adding new features within the next two weeks and this one will be part of that development.

TDF

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Thanks for the explanation. I was just curious because I thought that at one time it didn't do that, but I guess that was the other board. Either that, or I was reading more than I thought. I hope that it didn't seem that I thought it was urgent. It was just one of those things that I wanted to make sure that I wasn't any loonier than I thought or that it was something in my computer.

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar
    Actually, in my mind, THAT mod is quite URGENT!!! Without it, it is VERY difficult to keep up with threads. I also notice that I get the "feeling" that there are significantly fewer posts than before. In actuality, we're close to where we were, but when you log on, only visit a couple of threads, then come back and only 3 threads have had posts in them, you get the feeling of little activity.

We've got a LOT to work on in the next few weeks to get this site where we want it. It will always change, but we must get the core functionality back to what we had before!!!

TDF (Chris)

+ Reply to Thread