Former Oklahoma Sooners running back Marcus Dupree was named Thursday as general manager of the Battle Wings. Dupree, who played briefly in the NFL with the Los Angeles Rams and San Francisco 49ers, is beginning is first tenure as a GM.

"I've been out of football for a while, raising my kids, but I was looking for a way to get back into football," said Dupree, wearing an Independence Bowl ring his son won while playing for Alabama. "Being a GM is a surprise, but I'm looking forward to working with the community and getting it more involved with this team. . . . . . . . . .

At Thursday's news conference, the Battle Wings also introduced former Arkansas State running back Rickey Jemison, who played briefly with the Washington Redskins, and former Miami Dolphin Brian Lambert. All three new employees will be involved in marketing, community involvement and coaching to some degree.

"This franchise won't run on air ... we need to get the corporate people here," Dupree said. "This is my opportunity to learn the business side of football and do the things necessary to bring a championship caliber football team here.

"This is a football area. There aren't any hockey rinks around here."

Plaman said he believes his new staff will have an easier time selling the Battle Wings than the previous front office group, because the new staff "is passionate about football."

"We need to have everyone pitching in to sell this thing and I believe their efforts will have a tremendous impact on this team," Plaman said.