+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2003 Schedule... dorms...

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute
    It is very possible we will play 2 teams next year that will be ranked in the top ten at the time we play them - Miami and LSU.

I would say it's time for Oakes and Bicknell to get their shit together or it will be awfully embarrassing. And I include Oakes in there because Bicknell has to be able to offer a competetive salary to get competent assistants.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glm47
    It is very possible we will play 2 teams next year that will be ranked in the top ten at the time we play them - Miami and LSU.

I would say it's time for Oakes and Bicknell to get their shit together or it will be awfully embarrassing. And I include Oakes in there because Bicknell has to be able to offer a competetive salary to get competent assistants.
    Agreed. If you want to compete with the big boys, you have to play/pay like the big boys. Too bad we do not have the cash or the resources (marketing) to get the cash we need.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ
    [quote:9b8827bdfe="glm47"]It is very possible we will play 2 teams next year that will be ranked in the top ten at the time we play them - Miami and LSU.

Agreed. If you want to compete with the big boys, you have to play/pay like the big boys. Too bad we do not have the cash or the resources (marketing) to get the cash we need.[/quote:9b8827bdfe]

Well, that's part of the AD's job. That's what he is hired to do. If he can't get it done then we have two options, find someone who can or drop back down to Div 1-AA.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Well, that's part of the AD's job. That's what he is hired to do. If he can't get it done then we have two options, find someone who can or drop back down to Div 1-AA.
    I can't argue with that either...

actually, I meant to include one other option. Quit scheduling games we don't have a chance of winning, especially back to back.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    actually, I meant to include one other option. Quit scheduling games we don't have a chance of winning, especially back to back.
    Dr Dan Reneau - he holds the strings and checkbook -

But you are right on the scheduling also - schedule for success -

I often wonder what would have happened to this team last year if they would have had to play K-State when they were originally scheduled to -

Heading into the 9/11 weekend these teams were on identical paths...

I know people complain about Keith's home OOC schedule, but atleast he throws in some "confidence" games as he heads into tough conference play - it does make a difference when you have Florida, Arkansas, Miss St, etc all early and all away from home...

Opps - I forgot @ Texas also -

It amazes me that we are successful at anything we do - with the financial restraints placed on our programs -

I hope there is some SERIOUS soul searching among the powers that be and a decision is made to raise the money that is needed to be competitive in our chosen level of play -

Like it or not, if you chose to spend what we do and chose to compete on the level we do - 9/10 times our placement in conference is going to mirror what we spend ...

you get what you pay for...

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future
    Dwayne says "you get what you pay for" and he is dead right! We commit 38% LESS to our athletic program spending than the next LOWEST in the WAC, Nevada, and 150% less than Fresno State at the top of the WAC. That translates to almost $3 million LESS than the next LOWEST, Nevada, and $11.5 million LESS than Fresno State at the top. "You get what you pay for," RIGHT?

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    Why is this so obvious to everyone except the people who have the power to do something about it? I am sure it they know I guess the real question is what are we going to do about it? Nothing?-If so that is one ship I don't want to be on. Are there any plans to expand the Athletic budget by Administration. I think it's past time we know what they are thinking and how they plan to support Tech athletics in the future. Obviously Ronny Walker is paying off but one man is not enough. We need a plan and the supporters need to be informed of it so we can help carry it out.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Mick,

That is why I have taken alot more "lenient" attitude concerning our realistic expectations the last 6 months or so...

You can not be successful against the BCS with our resources, and you CAN'T expect to have a consistent winner in the WAC the way we do business -

Our guys are fighting a BIG battle with an awful short stick - even in conference play...

Big Dog Memdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really nice Memdawg's Avatar
    I wonder if people would be so critical of our coaches if they really knew all of the "extra" responsibilities they had to handle along with their normal jobs...

Some want to crucify our OC... I am betting that he has to spend 20-40%(not sure the exact amount, but any is to much), of his time making sure kids are eligible to play, rather than doing his main job of being an OC... I can promise that his counterparts spend ZERO time doing anything but running the Offense at their respective schools... That is just one example and I'm sure there are many others...

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar
    I fear we have missed the marketing opportunities afforded by our WAC title...much like we did in 1990.

At some point, someone has to get off their wallet and infuse money into the athletic budget so that the athletic department can reap the benefits of an all-out marketing effort. Ronnie does a great job, but we don't market in East Texas...we don't market in Shreveport...we don't market in Bossier...we don't market in El Dorado...we don't market in Alexandria...we don't market in Monroe...we DO market in Lincoln Parish!

We must have more bodies to do the work...a body for the Ark-La-Tex...a body for the Ark-La-Miss...a body for Louisiana...AND Ronnie Walker. I truly believe that if we had 4 people out there pushing Louisiana Tech athletics our revenues from that side of the equation would double in 12 to 18 months and redouble in 24 to 36 months.

This must be done if we are to move forward!

Big Dog Memdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really nice Memdawg's Avatar
    Dwayne, Mick, Cartek, anyone....

Let's say that we had a utopian situation with our school pres... Let's say someone like Ole Miss' Robert Khayat(former football player at UM), were running things at La Poly... Someone that really gives a damn about athletics and knows how much exposure, growth, money,etc..., they can bring to our school...

Exactly, how much more money could be allocated to athletics that is not being directed that way now, under the current admin. in the Ivory(Wyly) Tower??? Ball park will do I guess!!

Just curious as to how much we could improve our budget situation... I personally feel that the admins. of the schools we compete against, put a LOT more emphasis on athletics than we do!! I may be all wrong, but I'm very willing to listen and learn!!!
    MD

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Memdawg
    I wonder if people would be so critical of our coaches if they really knew all of the "extra" responsibilities they had to handle along with their normal jobs...

Some want to crucify our OC... I am betting that he has to spend 20-40%(not sure the exact amount, but any is to much), of his time making sure kids are eligible to play, rather than doing his main job of being an OC... I can promise that his counterparts spend ZERO time doing anything but running the Offense at their respective schools... That is just one example and I'm sure there are many others...
    I don't think you would find that to be the case. I suspect our coaches spend no more time than other D1 coaches checking the status of their players. We have an academics AD with a learning center dedicated solely to athletes plus we are part of the CHAMPS program instituted by the NCAA.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute
    I was watching a game this weekend and the announcer said the OC called the QB every morning to make sure he got up and went to class.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar
    Tech officals were expecting 7-9 k fans at the SMU game if we beat Rice. With the loss they are expecting 4-5 k. Cartek is right, we miss every marketing opp we get.

Anytime we have had a big game that could turn the tide of the program, we have laid a goose egg. UCF, Tulane, Rice, USC, KSU, PSU, Clemson and the list goes on.

Folks, until the prez loosens the purse strings we are in serious trouble. Until our AD realizes that he his responsible for fundraising, we are in trouble. Until Coach B lets Conroy call the game on every O play, we are in trouble.

+ Reply to Thread