+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lee Feinswog column - 10/12/2002

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    LightninBugInMonroe posted this under the other topic, but I thought it would be easier to find here. Thanks LBIM...

Dear Lee (idiot),
    The love letters of a sports columnist

BATON ROUGE - Let’s get one thing straight: Only my closest friends can call me an idiot.

But an LSU Bootlicker?

That’s funny.

And despite my protestations otherwise, a guy claiming he’s Jerry Falwall says he’ll pray for me.

No, it wasn’t a boring e-mail week on this end as we learned at least this much: Louisiana Tech fans don’t like it if someone suggests their football team should play in Division I-AA.

For the record, as I replied to my correspondents last week, I didn’t go to LSU. No, my degree is from Southern Illinois at Carbondale, a school with an enrollment of about 22,000.

Yet SIU proudly and properly plays in Division I-AA, where it averages a whopping 6,000 fans or so per home game and occasionally wins a football game.

LSU? I’ve lived in Baton Rouge almost 20 years.

Generally I like the players and coaches, so it’s nice when they win. Plus many of my friends and neighbors are diehard LSU fans and I hate to see them mope. You should have seen them through most of the 1990s.

None of that, however, has anything to do with whether or not I think Tech, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe and Tulane should play I-AA football. More on that later.

But it sure made for an interesting week.

For example:

“Hello idiot,

“Your precious LSU is having a lucky season. They are usually an average football team. Sure a few teams like Louisiana-Monroe and old USL are really stinking it up, but I’d like to see what LSU would have done against Penn State or Texas A&M. Louisiana Tech is a good football team that defeated Oklahoma State and played really well against Penn State for almost 3 quarters. LSU will bomb like they usually do and you can (he suggested an unusually difficult anatomical move) when Tech beats LSU next year in Baton Rouge.

“Sincerely yours,

“Doug Phillips”

Doug, as I told you, I think the world of Tech. I’ve been few places where I’ve been treated better. Some of the coaches in the athletic department are friends of mine. And I hope the Bulldogs have a great game in Baton Rouge next year.

“Lee,

“You must be quite fond of e-mails, for I can only imagine the torrent of which this one is going to be a part. Outside Baton Rouge (you know, out beyond the bridge) are proud schools that are a part of the University of Louisiana System. What may surprise you is that that is the only thing they have in common, academically and athletically. I speak on behalf of Louisiana Tech (it’s up north, between Monroe and Shreveport) that is due to play the Legislature’s school next September. I only hope your team relies on your logic and bases its expectations of the Bulldogs (that’s our mascot) on the play of those sad sorts from Lafayette. Thanks to your logic I am now dreaming of victory in Baton Rouge because Tech beat ULL 48-14 two years ago and 77-14 in 1998. That makes sense, right?”

Um, sure. Anyway, that was not signed, but David Cobb, your e-mail address gives you away.

“Jerry Falwell” never revealed his real name. But we went back and forth this week with what even he would agree was some hilarious stuff.

His opening salvo:

“the moral majority decided we should sit down and write you a really nice email about the success of louisiana tech football. honestly, we did. that’s what jesus would do.

“but, after further review, it seems that if that’s really the way you feel, and that is the limit of your knowledge of college sports, in trying to convince you otherwise in a single email, we would be practically attempting to completely relate the ineffable to your smooth-lobed, possibly reptilian-esque brain.

“more succintly said: you’re a mouth-breather. and god is not happy about your column.

“if you really think that louisiana tech belongs in 1aa, you’re hopless, clueless. please repent. check the records, read the sports pages more carefully. pray. a lot.

“i know a crack freelancer such as yourself has to write something to stir the pot, but give the majority a (expletive, which probably proved he wasn’t the real Jerry Falwell) break. tech is not a ul-x.

“god loves you and louisiana tech football, “jerry”

Jerry added a p.s. that said it was too bad LSU and Tech weren’t paired up in a first-round NIT meeting last spring. I agree.

More of your comments next week.

Lee Feinswog is a sports reporter in Baton Rouge. Reach him at 225-926-3256 or lee@sportsbatonrouge.com.

Varsity Bulldog HounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the rough
    Shreveport / Destin / Toledo Bend/Grand Isle
    After 20 years of LSUBOOTLICKING, his tongue must be worn to a frazzle.

+ Reply to Thread