+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How does this differ from Tech's frats?

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    FAYETTEVILLE — Chancellor John White has approved a list of proposed changes to the fraternity system at the University of Arkansas, UA officials announced Thursday.
    Among the most significant of the changes is the move of recruitment week to well after the start of the fall semester and the requirement of freshman fraternity members to live in a campus dormitory.
    Recruitment week — or “rush,” as it’s called — was held weeks before the start of the fall semester, which made it difficult for new students to participate.
    The changes were suggested by a task force appointed by White in April, after administrators watched the fraternity system lose members for the past several years.
    It was composed of fraternity members, administrators, and alumni. Dave Gearhart, vice chancellor for university advancement, led the task force. The task force submitted its recommendations to White on Oct. 11.
    The changes were intended to help reverse the declining membership in fraternities. The changes will also apply to sororities; however, sororities are already operating under many of the changes.
    There are rarely enough open slots in sororities to accommodate all the interested young women.
    In addition to changing the time of rush week, the changes spell out a number of new rules for rush week. They specify the type and amount of contact fraternity members can have with recruits. Consumption of alcohol is forbidden at recruiting events.
    Under the changes, freshmen who join fraternities will be required to live in residence halls for their entire freshman year. The UA would consider allowing second-semester freshmen to move into a fraternity house only if the house was not filled to capacity and was having problems paying its bills as a result.
    Students who receive chancellor’s scholarships may use their scholarship funds to pay for housing costs at a fraternity house, under the new rules. Those scholarships pay full tuition and room and board.
    There are 15 fraternities at the UA. Eleven of them maintain houses where some members live. Four of the groups have been traditionally composed of black students. Eleven have been traditionally composed of white students.
    The 2003-2004 school year will serve as a transition period for the changes, officials said. All new recruitment rules will be in effect for the 2004-2005 school year.
    The implementation of the new rules will be overseen by a committee directed by Johnetta Cross-Brazzell, vice chancellor for student affairs.

Bulldog hisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the ears
    1. Sounds like the UA administration WANTS to keep the fraternities around.

2. Only 15 fraternities on campus and four of them traditionally black????? How many students does UA have?

Champ ARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really nice ARKDAWG02's Avatar
    UA has about 15,000 students.

Bulldog hisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the ears
    is that all? thought it would have been more.
    still 11 NIC fraternities is not enough on a campus that size.

how many NIC's does Tech have?

Champ ARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really nice ARKDAWG02's Avatar
    Let me correct that enrollment number. I saw on the news this AM that UA's enrollment topped 16,000 for the first time.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hisaw
    is that all? thought it would have been more.
    still 11 NIC fraternities is not enough on a campus that size.

how many NIC's does Tech have?
    9, I think

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    I think Hisaw pretty much hit it on the head with his response. About the only difference I see is that the fraternity member can use his scholarship housing money to pay for his rent at the fraternity house. I don't know that Tech does that. I don't know how much has changed, but a student couldn't live in the "house" until he had so many hours which was less than that to move off campus. I believe they had to mantain a minimum gpa also. The sororities can't live in their houses (lodges) at Tech. Also, I think the fraternities don't rush until after school starts. I think it was the first week of school when I was there. I don't know what it is now. Other than the number of fraternities, I didn't see any other differences, except as Hisaw said, the school actually wanting the fraternities around and doing what they can to help them. I wonder what their Greek attendance is like at the football games. :idea: Hmmmm.

+ Reply to Thread