+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Idaho Coach Wants Message Board Closed Down

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    This message was posted on our old site today, so I dragged it over here:

I am not making this up. Tom Cable, the University of Idaho Head Football is blaming the Vandal Venue, their sports message board for the demise of their football program. The following is a thread from Vandal Venue:

Subject Author
    Ada County Vandal Luncheon VanFan
    Just got back from the luncheon where Tom Cable spoke to about 50 to 60 alumni. The main points were:

1) This message board at Vandalvenue.com is killing us in recruiting. Potential recruits are reading this stuff, expecially the negativity. Maybe it is time to shut down the board for a while? This is a generation thing and since many of the people present at the luncheon are older Vandals and probably do not peruse this web site, they may not understand the impact.

2) Cable will not, I repeat will not quit this team this year or next. I am glad he said this and while he may not be the best Vandal PR coach ever, he will get by. The "jock strap" comment has been taken completely out of context and while I did not care for it, I do not believe that he meant to alianate some of us the way it came across.

3) We have some great student atheletes, Blair Lewis is graduating in December. Again, the negativity on this message boards hurts our players. THEY ARE READING THIS BOARD!

4) Speaking about Football, he felt that our D problems of late are more about our O not executing and scoring points when the opportunities are there. He mentioned that there were seven opportunities to score in the ULM game, but our QB did not make the throw. Trying not to lose seems to be pervasive throughout this team.

All in all, I felt TC did a great job. He spoke more about his own personal responsibility for the failures and seemed very open to criticism.

Please don't confuse what I write with how I feel about losing. While I have my feelings about losing, I choose to keep them to myself on this board.

Cable did say that he would prefer that all of you people who have negative crap and comments to make sure they go directly to him or the AD's.

10/16/02 11:56:17 am
    Thank you. JFSebastian
    Interesting information.

The commentary about this message board is not surprising to me. I don't blame him. Even when things are all rosy in here some of the folks from other schools can come in here and spread rumors, and they often do.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

I'll reserve judgement on the rest of it until the end of the season which will likely coincide with the next time I visit this board.

I'm going into self-imposed ignorance mode.
    I like being blissful.

10/16/02 12:09:15 pm
    I was there Also vandalman98

VanFan explained what happend quite well. Negative stuff here on the board is not helping and in fact we all know it is just a way for all of us to Vent to other Vandals that feel our pain.

Reality is we have some really great kids in this program right now and next year. When they start to belive in themselves you will see the change.

Cable and staff are working on things. We have to hang in there and belive in the program as much as the kids need to.

North Texas turned it around, we can too!

10/16/02 12:20:12 pm
    Re: Thank you. calvandal

So . . . if I understand the above posts, only post positive remarks - like a cheerleading site. Sounds good to me but it's going to be a difficult task for the rest of the football season. The real remedy - win some games, any games!

10/16/02 12:24:52 pm
    give me a break bullpup22

I have e-mailed the AD and I know of 20 other people that have also. When you get blowen out by SHI##y teams bad thigs are going to be said about the coaches. I have not read one post that said the players are not giving 100%. They are playing every down and they are playing hard. They are just not winning. Is it lack of talent, lack of good coaching or a little of both we will never know. Coach should worry about explaining his win loss record at Idaho to high school kid instead of what some fans of the program feel about his ablities as a coach on a website board. Just tired of getting our asses kicked by horrible teams!!!

10/16/02 12:45:13 pm
    Re: A dilemma. Idaguy

I can see how this site may affect recruiting. I can see how this site might not be making the players happy right now. Misinformation and flaming could be a problem.

On the other hand, this site also unabashedly provides more positive information regarding Vandal athletics than any other source I can think of aside from the official athletics site. (Which is exactly what you would expect, thus nobody is reading it.) There is more blatant pom pom waving, positive discourse, and wildly optimistic discussion here than we are getting elsewhere. They trash us on the bronco board ... can we also ask them to stop? Other schools will use negative spin against us ... is that illegal? Can we ask the newspaper to please not print that negative article? (And we've been hammered a plenty in the papers.) Heck ... Caves does more UI bashing than we do on this site! Maybe he'll lay off for awhile now?

I don't know. I think SeaVandal and Reynolds have done an excellent job trying to run an upbeat and positive website. Like it or not, these boards are part of the landscape for every school now.

So what do you do?

I DO think the 1-AA crap that always comes up after a loss is over the top though. That has nothing to do with what we are talking about here. Nothing.

10/16/02 12:51:42 pm
    Re: Ada County Vandal Luncheon Arkstfan

>>1) This message board at Vandalvenue.com is killing us in recruiting. Potential recruits are reading this stuff, expecially the negativity. Maybe it is time to shut down the board for a while? This is a generation thing and since many of the people present at the luncheon are older Vandals and probably do not peruse this web site, they may not understand the impact.<<

H-O-R-S-E H-O-C-K-E-Y

Administrators and coaches don't like the criticism so they whine about how much the boards hurt.

Find me a site of a school with ANY fans that doesn't have negative stuff that could be used in recruiting. If it hits everyone then it hurts everyone as well.

The only way to have internet site that is all positive is for the school to run one... oh yeah they do, they are called the "official site".

What makes it really funny is that at a lot of schools the Sports Information Department will either treat the web site operators like they have some hideous disease or be openly hostile toward the sites then don't bow down and worship the program. Some of the most disillusioned fans are the board ops treated hatefully by the program they are trying to promote.

What makes it worse is to watch the same staff people fawn over some radio host is hostile to their program and encourages the negative callers. They say far worse at times than any board would dream of tolerating but they get a warm handshake and free food in the press box.

We don't have those problems at ASU but man I can't figure out for the life of me why programs don't turn to the boards when they need to get word out to fans quickly, or try correct the blatant errors. At the minimum they need to have the board ops phone number on the rolodex so they can "leak" the good news (when there is some) and in turn insure that the board ops will do their best to help.

Ok. My rant is done. Just sick of seeing people blame the net.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    ...I can't figure out for the life of me why programs don't turn to the boards when they need to get word out to fans quickly, or try correct the blatant errors. At the minimum they need to have the board ops phone number on the rolodex so they can "leak" the good news and in turn insure that the board ops will do their best to help.
    Interesting point. We try to act as a media outlet here on BB&B, as best we can anyway.

+ Reply to Thread