+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bicknell must go ...

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glm47
    Not having the money is no excuse. that's the athletic director's job, to find the damn money.

I'm not really sure our athletic director and president really care about us moving forward. I really think they just want to come to work, draw their paychecks and not create any waves.
    That's what I am saying. Instead of trying to find money and push the program forward, the admin just says "we don't have the money for that".

Sometimes, you have to take what you want instead of waiting for something to happen. That goes for admin as well as coaching.

Varsity Bulldog HounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the rough
    Shreveport / Destin / Toledo Bend/Grand Isle
    Not having the money is no excuse. that's the athletic director's job, to find the damn money.

I'm not really sure our athletic director and president really care about us moving forward. I really think they just want to come to work, draw their paychecks and not create any waves.
    It's downright ludicrus to think they don't want ANYTHING at TECH to move forward. And until you've stood in their shoes, making a comment like that just shows a lack of smarts.

And since you think they should FIND the money, let me ask you a question. How much of YOUR check each month goes to the DAWGS?

READ MY LIPS. MONEY MONEY MONEY would solve ALL of the issues related to fielding a better than average team year after year. But there iusn't enough (and never will be) because Tech's resources need to also fund something else that is important ... academics ... and funding is ALSO needed for the sports which allow us to be 1-A in the first place. i.e. 6 mens and 8 womens sports whch MUST be funded FIRST BEFORE we can compete ANYWHERE at the 1-A level.

Everyone wanted to join the WAC, but didn't (and still do not) realize that ... in track, for instance, needing a mere 80 grand in ADDITIONAL funding JUST top get to the conference cross country, indoor and outdoor championships had to come from somewhere.
    I doubt the pres and AD were sipping tea prior to making THAT happen.

There ain't enough capable alumni to make a HUGE annual commitment to get it done, folks. Sure there are SOME, but NOT ENOUGH! I keep hearing this thing about upholding a rich tradition that Alliet and Lambright laid down. Yeppers, they did just that ... but at the COLLEGE DIVISION level where they DIDN'T have to compete with the BIG DOGS' deep pockets!

And was that tradition at the 1-A or 1-AA level???? All I know about is 1-AA.

As I put on another thread, a school we feel we are superior to in FB (Louisville) spends more than 30-million a year in their overall program which is more than LSU. And THAT's not enough.

So ANYONE who demands perfection from this or any other staff with the funding we have is living in Disneyland. Our folks do VERY well with what they have to work with and ANYONE else coming in if we run this group off will have the same EXACT problems these folks have. It would be SAME SONG, SECOND, THIRD, FOURTH and FIFTH verses.

And paying off contracts before they're up would be sending much needed revenue down the drain.

EXPECTATIONS by too many are way too high. The REALITY of WHO WE ARE must set in at some point.

The only problems is ... WHEN?

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute
    Okay, hounddoggy, tell me what has been done to increase revenue. What is our long term plan or goal, where do we want our football team to be competing in 5 to 10 years. Hell, we all know we need money, you make a dumbass statement like that and question my smarts. There are intelligent ways to raise money, many very good ideas that have been stated on this forum and our administration just sits on their ass.

You sound to me like someone who will be happy for Tech to just acknowledge their place, and not try to get too "uppity". Personally, I aspire for us to reach much higher ,as i think most of the people on this board do.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    We were making plans prior to Oct 1999 to get into the WAC -

We had PLANS to get into the WAC -

We had NO PLAN on how to fund the extra expenses associated with the WAC Conference Affiliation other than passing the hat to the same individuals -

Over 3 years later we still have NO PLAN to fund the operating expenditures other than sending out begging letters prior to the fiscal year end every year to balance the budget -

Let alone where we want to be 3, 5 or 10 years down the road -

We don't plan on the long-term basis in place -

Ronny Walker was a great hire, but Ronny can't do it alone, nor should he doit alone, there should be a minimum of 3 others just like him -

We are spending almost $3 million less than the 9th place team in the WAC - GLM is dead on, with this...

You get what you pay for...

We need a COMPREHENSIVE FUNDRAISING EFFORT on the athletic side to be competitive - this ain't Div 1-AA...

The $$$ problems rest squarely on the shoulders on Dr Reneau and Jim, just like the on the field problems rest squarely on the shoulders of JBIII...

Varsity Bulldog LBP is on the way down
    HoundDoggy1,

Quit blaming the regular people fans for the lack of money. How many people do you think of the huge crowds at Tennessee and LSU are 5,000 a year donors. It is Jim Oakes job to call the rich Tech alumni and ask for money. How often does he actually do that? But instead he does nothing and makes excuses. He tells the fans that we lack money to do that and there are some stupid ingorant people that believes Oakes's BS. We may not have that money in our bank accounts, but we have access to get that money.

Varsity Bulldog HounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the rough
    Hell, we all know we need money, you make a dumbass statement like that and question my smarts. There are intelligent ways to raise money, many very good ideas that have been stated on this forum and our administration just sits on their ass.
    Kinda like the previous remark stating that certain people sit on thier ass and don't want to see Tech move forward.

I appreciate your zest for being better.

Now put your words into gear and call the Athletic Office with a lifetime pledge of $5,000 a year, four football season tickets for life, four basketball tickets for life and a miscellaneous pledge of another $1000 a year to help fund the minor sports. And I forgot that $250, 000 life insurance policy with Tech as the lone beneficiary.

Now THAT is WALKING the talk of WANTING Tech to reach the next level.

When you've done that, then come back and let's talk some more. I've got some more good revenue generating ideas.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute
    Money has nothing to do with what is going on with our football team right now, but stupidity does. Bicknell is too stupid to make changes.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by HounDoggy1
    [quote:ecb043d6a4="glm47"] Hell, we all know we need money, you make a dumbass statement like that and question my smarts. There are intelligent ways to raise money, many very good ideas that have been stated on this forum and our administration just sits on their ass.
    Kinda like the previous remark stating that certain people sit on thier ass and don't want to see Tech move forward.

I appreciate your zest for being better.

Now put your words into gear and call the Athletic Office with a lifetime pledge of $5,000 a year, four football season tickets for life, four basketball tickets for life and a miscellaneous pledge of another $1000 a year to help fund the minor sports. And I forgot that $250, 000 life insurance policy with Tech as the lone beneficiary.

Now THAT is WALKING the talk of WANTING Tech to reach the next level.

When you've done that, then come back and let's talk some more. I've got some more good revenue generating ideas.[/quote:ecb043d6a4]

I don't have to justify my contribution to tech athletics to you or anyone else. I give money, buy season tickets, chip in extra money when needed, and have had seasons where I attended every singlev football game, whether it be in wyoming, los angeles, michigan or north carolina.

I am right here ready to contribute more, but I would like to know how that money will be spent and that it is being used wisely. But as it stands right now, I'm not sure I would because the President and Athletic Director don't want to continue to move forward in my opnion.

The 109,000 people at Tennessee home games ARE regular people.

And they don't bitch about payng $38.00 a ticket in the nose bleed section.

ONE of those regular people I know makes $61,000 a year, has a kid in college, pays a house note and still gives UT $4,500 a year AND has season tickets for FB and womens BB. I know, because he works for me and as his boss, I approve doubling his contribution on behalf of our company.

THAT'S is committment at the big time programs.

And it's tradition.

"It is Jim Oakes job to call the rich Tech alumni and ask for money. "

And you think he DOESN'T? LOL

BTW, how many rich alumni are there?

I personally think he should contact every former athlete who think they're still owed something for their playing days. Let's see, 200 per year, times the last 20 years is ??

If that happened, and he collected, THAT would be a HUGE influx right there. But we know that won't happen becasue MOST think they've aready PAID enough of thier dues.....

....which is EXACTLY why there will never be enough in the til to do what needs to be done.... even with a utophia FOUR fund raisers on staff as Dwayne alluded to.

Big Dog macp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nice macp38's Avatar
    Actually, the former players I know tell me they are never contacted by ANYONE at Tech for anything. They would give, if contacted. I would like to know how many are even a member of the Alumni Assn? I'll bet it is a SMALL fraction of the former players. How many former players do you see traveling to the games as part of the diehard fans? There is an untapped base of support.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute
    Houndoggy,
    How much do you donate to Tech? I donate to the General Foundation, the engineering foundation, BB&B, and Champs as well as helping with other projects. I also bought 8 season tickets this year. You're preaching to the wrong people on this board. I have a feeling you're a flamer from another school and not a Tech fan.

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    Dwayne From Minden, I'd like to explore what you said further, if you don't mind.

Are you saying Louisiana Tech joined the Western Athletic Conference without realizing how much MORE it would cost than all-sports membership in the Sun Belt?

Are you saying the Louisiana Tech Athletic Department STILL has no long term plan for where they want Tech athletics to be 5, 10, 15 years down the road?

Are you saying Louisiana Tech's Athletic Department joined the WAC without any idea how to pay for the increased expenditures that would result from joining a conference with Hawaii and Boise St in it?

Is the Tech Athletic Dept. in financial trouble? Because if it is not, it will be very soon. If the football team's performance sinks lower, revenues from football, which fund pretty much the whole athletic program, will decline sharply. Then the vicious cycle of lost revenue, lower performance, lost revenue, lower performance will begin. Next thing you know, Louisiana Tech's on the verge of falling out of the WAC and Division 1-A alltogether.

I had serious concerns about this very kind of thing when Louisiana Tech joined the WAC. I thought you guys were doing it for one reason, and one reason alone; to avoid ULL and ULM. I felt you guys were honestly not ready financially (I didn't say anything about on the field performance, I said financially) to join a league like the WAC, and that Tech would soon find itself in way over it's head. It's too early to tell if I am right or wrong, but the things Dwayne and Houndoggy have said greatly disturb me. I fear Tech is indeed in way over it's head.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetstorm
    Dwayne From Minden, I'd like to explore what you said further, if you don't mind.

Are you saying Louisiana Tech joined the Western Athletic Conference without realizing how much MORE it would cost than all-sports membership in the Sun Belt?

Are you saying the Louisiana Tech Athletic Department STILL has no long term plan for where they want Tech athletics to be 5, 10, 15 years down the road?

Are you saying Louisiana Tech's Athletic Department joined the WAC without any idea how to pay for the increased expenditures that would result from joining a conference with Hawaii and Boise St in it?

Is the Tech Athletic Dept. in financial trouble? Because if it is not, it will be very soon. If the football team's performance sinks lower, revenues from football, which fund pretty much the whole athletic program, will decline sharply. Then the vicious cycle of lost revenue, lower performance, lost revenue, lower performance will begin. Next thing you know, Louisiana Tech's on the verge of falling out of the WAC and Division 1-A alltogether.

I had serious concerns about this very kind of thing when Louisiana Tech joined the WAC. I thought you guys were doing it for one reason, and one reason alone; to avoid ULL and ULM. I felt you guys were honestly not ready financially (I didn't say anything about on the field performance, I said financially) to join a league like the WAC, and that Tech would soon find itself in way over it's head. It's too early to tell if I am right or wrong, but the things Dwayne and Houndoggy have said greatly disturb me. I fear Tech is indeed in way over it's head.
    BB&B Admin guys, when will we have the ability to IGNORE posters?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    We knew what the additional costs would be associated with WAC play compared to Sun Belt play -

But we did not plan anything type of long-term fundraising effort that would allow us to cover these costs and CONTINUE tp grpw our programs and fund much needed capital improvements...

Some of us have been asking - or begging - for such a plan - but it is falling on death ears - or seems to have fallen on death ears...

We as fans are willing to pay a premium to be associated in a conference with Rice, Tulsa, Smu, Utep and Hawaii - but we are also not dumb enough to know that the travel costs associated with such affiliation is not covered by revenues generated by our poor attendance in football and basketball -

I guess it is a chicken and egg thing -

You can't have one without the other...

+ Reply to Thread