View Poll Results: Should We Fire Bicknell and Hines?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

29 69.05%
  • No (I am on a deserted island and have no clue as to what is going on)

13 30.95%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should We Fire Bicknell and Hines?

Puppy FOOTBALLDOGG is an unknown
    You know we should!!!!

For the eight people who have voted "no" would you please explain why????

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    I voted "no" because I liked that deserted island part. But then I got to thinking about it and realized that "deserted" meant no topless native girls running around either! To heck with that! Change my vote to fire the bums, so it's now 21-7 in favor.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FOOTBALLDOGG
    For the eight people who have voted "no" would you please explain why????
    I voted "No" because the season is not over. They certainly deserve the chance to redeem themselves. That's part of having a young coaching staff - it might take a longer to make the necessary adjustments. Hopefully they will learn and be better.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar
    Markay, with all due respect- this season is "over". This is coming from a Tech fan who has been called a "Louisiana Tech homer" and a die hard who "drinks from the Tech company Kool-Aid". And yes, I will still make the drive from Dallas to Ruston & back next weekend.

However, there is no way we can end in an undisputed 2nd place WAC finish. Thus, there is zero chance as of Oct. 19, 2002 that we can go to a bowl game- even if we win all of our remaining football games in convincing fashion.

Head coach Jack Bicknell received a pay increase & a 5 year contract after last season. To fire him today would cost Tech ~$1.3M, which doesn't include our new coach's similar salary and multi-year contract requirements. Of course, there will be massive debate on BB&B as to what it will cost us by NOT firing him, but as Houndoggy stated, nobody will ante up the needed ~$1.3M to enable this to happen. Jack will not simply walk away from a millionaire contract (I wouldn't either if in his shoes, nor would I complain if fired with payment of my cool $1.3M).

The rest of the 2002 season I'm sure Jim Oakes will decide which assistant coaches (they only get annual contracts, not multi-year) will be retained & who will be dismissed at year end. Look for several players to be dismissed after this year too as the new assistant coaches will want to recruit their own players.

I hope we will start giving QB Matt Kubik more playing time in our upcoming games or we will be in yet another world of hurt after 2003 when both McCown & Causey have graduated.

We have a lot of work to do to right this ship again. First we have to admit that we have a serious, serious problem which can not be fixed in the remainder of the 2002 football games.
    ________
    Easy Vap
    Last edited by DogsWin; 04-18-2011 at 08:38 PM.

This is why we should make coaches contracts just like athletic scholarships, a year to year thing. When a college athlete signs to play a sport at a school their scholarship is only for one year. If the athletic department chooses to give them a sacholarship the next year then they sign a one year binding contract. Hmmmmm, I wonder why they do this? I'll tell you why: IF THEY DON'T PERFORM THE SCHOLARSHIP GOES TO SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!! And Jack is not doing his job so it should be given to someone else!!!!!!!

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute
    I voted no because it would be catastrophic for our program financially.

Changes need to be made. Texas A&M changed their play-caller and turned around their program. SMU changed quarterbacks and turned around their offense. We have GOT to make some changes and here is all I can think of that we could do:

1) Start Maxie Causey against Nevada.

2) Start Michael Rogers, Eric Norwood, and Ahmad Harris at receiver against Nevada and rotate the other bums in if there are any dropped passes.

3) Run the ball more on first down.

4) Simplify the offense to look more like SMU's offense and less like BYU's offense.

5) Play man-to-man pass coverage.

6) Have a motivational speaker address the team before each game and at half time.

Any other ideas?

Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 3:50 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I voted no because it would be catastrophic for our program financially.

Changes need to be made. Texas A&M changed their play-caller and turned around their program. SMU changed quarterbacks and turned around their offense. We have GOT to make some changes and here is all I can think of that we could do:

1) Start Maxie Causey against Nevada.

2) Start Michael Rogers, Eric Norwood, and Ahmad Harris at receiver against Nevada and rotate the other bums in if there are any dropped passes.

3) Run the ball more on first down.

4) Simplify the offense to look more like SMU's offense and less like BYU's offense.

5) Play man-to-man pass coverage.

6) Have a motivational speaker address the team before each game and at half time.

Any other ideas?

YES, FIRE BICKNELL AND HINES!!!!!!!!

Puppy lalatech is an unknown
    Dogswin:

I disagree with our bowl game chances if we win out. If we do (and I highly doubt we will) I think we will indeed get a shot at a bowl game. Assuming a few other losses occur among the WAC leaders.

Bicknell seems to be in a funk. I see no fire in his eyes or in his quotes. I would light a serious fire under this team's butt in very short order. Benching the kids who dog it or make stupid mistakes and demanding excellence from each of them. They are all D1 players and need to start acting like it. Few are playing to their potential. And I would be certain that Luke knew what was expected of him. I don't see a whole lot of leadership there. And if the QB doesn't led the team on the field, no one else will. As far as replacing Bicknell I don't think that is possible at this point. Once this season is over things will be decided on that front. We shall see if he turns on the leadership skills he needs to. And helps Luke turn on his leader switch too.

I do agree about Kubik. As far as I know this kid is very mobile, quick and more athletic than either Luke or Causey. In my opinion, this type of QB in this type of offense would create havoc on the defensive side of the ball. He comes from a strong high school program in an extremely strong football state and had a scholarship from the current QB coach of the Kansas City Chiefs while he was the head coach at Rutgers. Terry Shea has at least 3 (McMahon of Detroit, Lewis of Miami, and Garcia of San Fran) QB's in the NFL that he has coached at one time or another. Seems to me Shea wouldn't just hand out a scholly to a kid who didn't have serious potential. I don't think you would want to bench McCown but I would certainly get Kubik as much experience as possible. While I think Maxie is a very capable backup, Kubik brings more threats to the table than Max. Of course, he is unproven but so was Luke when he got the football.

I am disgusted with what is going on with the Bulldogs. As I have said before, leadership is key. It seems we are not getting it from the two most important people on the field. Yes, we have other problems with defense, play calling, etc... but the leadership is first in my opinion. I'm not ready to scrap the season yet. But time is growing short. And we really need to make a statement against Fresno in a nationally televised game.

lalatech are you crazy??? A Bowl chance. Oh my God. Are you JBIII??? Because that's some sh*t he would say.... No wait JBIII would say, "guys even know I am frustrated we can still go bowling". lalatech no disrespect, but there is no way in God's name we could go bowling. I would have a better chance of waking up tomorrow morning and my head being sewn to the carpet than we do of going to a Bowl game!!!!!!!!!

Puppy lalatech is an unknown
    Relax footballdogg. I don't think we are going bowling. I responded to a post who said we had no chance even if we won out. Mathematically it is still possible IF we win out. I don't expect we will. I'm not crazy. Pissed, but not crazy. Read the post again. The only bowling we are going to be doing in December involves silly shirts, wacky shoes and big round balls that have three holes in them. BUT, it is mathematically possible (just like the Houston Texans) to be playing when the season is over. Not likely, but possible.

lalatech I apologize. I did not read the whole post I have to admit that. I am sooooo pissed I stopped reading it after the first few sentences and just clicked the "reply" button. I guess I should have read all of it. You are correct, we can go to a Bowl game if we win out, but like you said it is unlikely. To tell you the truth I would decline the invitation. Some people might call me crazy, but I would be embarassed to represent MY SCHOOL AND CONFERENCE in a Bowl Game!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread