+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I have the answer!

Big Dog DeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud of DeepGreen's Avatar
    Join the Sun Belt! :lol:

Just kidding guys. Lighten up. You'll pull out of this funk somehow.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Without a doubt we would be 4-3 at this point if we were in the Belt, 3-0 in conference play. But, sorry, been there, done that. Beating the likes of the Belt is meaningless.

I said before this season began that 2002 is arguably our toughest schedule in Tech history. The only truly horrible team, out of 12 games, is Tulsa. Even UTEP has shown flashes of playing a decent quarter now and then, and last night, they beat Rice. Even given UTEP being sucky, that's only 2 gimmees, although I doubt UTEP will roll over and die now.

Baylor, Duke, and Vandy all remain in over-their-heads in their respective conferences for the money, and the prestige. If Tech could, today, move into a better conference than the WAC, I'd hope we would do it, even if it meant struggling more. You get NOWHERE in life by lowering the bar.

Big Dog DeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud of DeepGreen's Avatar
    Dawg80, I know what you're saying. Let's face it, it's the players that have to go out each Saturday against the likes of Kansas St, Penn State, Alabama, Arizona, Oklahoma, Texas, a $ m, etc. Three or more of OOC games like that start taking its toll on the players in terms of getting beat up and flat out losing most of those games.
    At best, teams like UNT or La Tech can catch some uper level team in a down year and beat them. That's the exception. Heck, we came within one put return of beating Arizona. Beat the sh!t out of them on the field and statistically, but not on the scoreboard. And this without our starting QB. Truth is, we are 2-5 now, having lost all OOC games. No real impressive. And the players have to feel it.

I can see playing one or possibly two of those BCS teams each year for the money(at least in UNT's case), but more than that is tough to do.

Our AD wants to get our schedule in line with one money game, like a Texas, Oklahoma, a $ m, etc. He is not interested in littering the schedule with additional BSC teams each year unless they give us a 1 for 1. If an Arizona won't give us a 1 for 1, we won't play them.

You guys have managed to get 1 for 1(at least I think you have) with Oklahoma State and Miami, and probably others. That's OK. But for you players to get pounded every year in Happy Valley? Well, maybe you have seen the results of that scheduling model the past two weeks. I know your motto is "anyone, anywhere, anytime", but maybe it's hurting the players more than you realize.

BTW, this was not a slam post. I'd like to hear you thoughts.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar
    Your AD's base salary is ALOT more than ours. Our AD has bonuses in his contract that make him pimp out our program so he can get the exta $.

Our AD must play 3-4 BCS team on the road each year to get his bonus.

So instead of developing regional alliances, we are looking for "payday" games from Los Angeles to Happy Valley.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Deepgreen, I sincerely apologize for the tone of my previous post. Bicknell is not the only one "frustrated" right now, and I let it get to me.

For the record, I stand by the premise of my previous post, I have no desire for Tech to move back into a conference affiliation with the teams currently in the Belt. I have no problem with a future affiliation with a couple of the current Belt teams, say for instance a conference of the EWAC, Houston, UNT, and maybe ULL, just to throw out a few names.

As I said, going backwards serves no purpose. Remember the famous quote by General Patton when advised to fall back during the Battle of the Bulge. He said, no thanks, I don't like to pay for the same real estate twice.

Anyway, the problem is not our WAC affiliation, nor is it the heavy OOC schedule, it's the current crop of coaches and players. They, and they alone, bear the burden of this mess.

But to pick up on your theme, yes, it is certainly feasible for programs like Tech and UNT to drop road games at BCS teams in favor of regional home/homes, but to make it work would require each school to travel en masse to the other. Ya'll would have to bring 7-8K to Ruston, and we do the same to Denton. That way, the programs might actually be able to stay afloat without the big paychecks. Unfortunately, I just don't see that happening anytime soon. Yeah, we took 8K to New Orleans for the Tulane game in 1998, but that was a special occasion, given the circumstances, and I doubt if that number could be counted on for road trips to just anywhere.

Back to the drawing board.....

Puppy FOOTBALLDOGG is an unknown
    Dawg80 I am "frustrated" as well!!!! THEY DON'T SELL BEER ON SUNDAYS!!!!!!!!!!! Damn I need a drink!!!!

I have no desire for Tech to move back into a conference affiliation with the teams currently in the Belt.
    Anyway, the problem is not our WAC affiliation, nor is it the heavy OOC schedule,<<<

First of all, I apologize for not getting the quote feature correct. Secondly, I did not detect any negative tone towards me in your posts. No harm done.

Dawg80, I was probably not clear in my posts. My original post was made tongue-in-cheek. You know my mission nowadays is to beat the BCS "mafia", not the non-BCS.

Nor was I seriously suggesting that La Tech re-join the SBC. And I too would hold to Patton's comment about not retreating. My point was not about regionalism either. Rather, I meant we need to schedule more "mid-level" teams that we have a chance a beating. Southern Miss, Toledo, Memphis and other CUSA teams, MAC schools, and for UNT, even WAC schools. Simply that maybe teams like La Tech and UNT are simply being beaten up by the 3-4 tough OOC games be the time the first conference game comes around. La Tech loses to smu?? UNT struggles to beat Ark State??? I know UNT is beaten up. Lost our starting QB at the Texas game and our #1 lineback against Alabama, plus other dings and bruises that kept key players down for a game or two.

Hopefully, UNT can get to a point where we only need one or two "big" OOC games for the money, like Texas or Alabama. Teams such as TCU, Arizona, and So. Florida are beatable. Not saying we should have beaten all of those teams, but with our starting QB playing, I think our chances would have been better. As it was, we have played a redshirt freshman since the 2nd have of the opening game against Texas.

But you're dead on about the regional situation. How many UNT fans actually traveled to Jonesboro for last nights game? Not more than a handful I suspect.

Who knows where all of this is going to take us. Hang in there guys.

(Admin fixed quote)

+ Reply to Thread