+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: too early to talk about new coaches?

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    ULL hired Ricky Bustle, the offensive coordinator from Virginia Tech, to be their head coach, and had to pay a pretty penny to do it. So if you guys are going to toss around the names of high ranking coordinators at BCS schools, you had better be prepared to fork over a lot of dough to get them.

If you are prepared to do this, you have a lot of options. If you can get either of the coordinators from South Carolina, Skip Holtz (offensive) or Charlie Strong (defensive) that would be great. Jimbo Fisher (OC) or Charlie Thompson (DC) from LSU would also be a good idea.

I'm assuming you guys want someone who will run a spread passing offense? In that case, you unfortunately eliminate someone who is going to be one of the hottest names in the country if his team goes to a bowl (which is more than likely). I'm speaking of Tony Samuel, HC at New Mexico St. He is about to lead his Aggies to a Sun Belt title and the New Orleans Bowl. But I don't think most Tech folks would accept him. Even if they could stop looking down their nose for five minutes at this "Sun Belch" small-timer, his offensive philosophy doesn't agree with La. Tech. NMSU runs the triple option. Samuel is a former assistant at Nebraska, that's where he learned it. It's pretty much the only offense he knows.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    Jetsorm,

You and Eunice go back to the Delphisboards to spread your Love thy brother message.

I don't want to hear it and will keep my nose in the air, thank you.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute
    If I picked a defensive coach, it would be John Thompson. But, I wouldn't pick a defensive coach as a head coach.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetstorm
    I'm assuming you guys want someone who will run a spread passing offense? In that case, you unfortunately eliminate someone who is going to be one of the hottest names in the country if his team goes to a bowl (which is more than likely). I'm speaking of Tony Samuel, HC at New Mexico St. He is about to lead his Aggies to a Sun Belt title and the New Orleans Bowl. But I don't think most Tech folks would accept him. Even if they could stop looking down their nose for five minutes at this "Sun Belch" small-timer, his offensive philosophy doesn't agree with La. Tech. NMSU runs the triple option. Samuel is a former assistant at Nebraska, that's where he learned it. It's pretty much the only offense he knows.
    You're right - DEFINITELY not interested in a belch guy from Nebraska. We don't do that kind of offense - we LIKE to pass!

Champ Reddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of light
    Jetstorm,
    Just curious if you have heard anything about Saban going pro?? A few of my friends have mentioned it. If he did, that may put Fisher looking for a job??? Although, I am sure that would be LSUs first choice. I can dream though

Reddawg

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar
    We need to start a “hire Saban” letter writing campaign to every NFL team right now. If he sticks around at LSU they will roll over us on their way to a National Championship!

Varsity Bulldog LBP is on the way down
    Why are none of ya'll talking about Doug Williams? He is the guy that all of ya'll say ya'll want. He has knowledge of the passing game, proven successful head coaching experience, a guy that players respect, has local ties, great recruiter. Is there just something about him that ya'll can't see past, that it just blinds you not allowing you to see that this is the guy you have always wanted?

It was edited by DFM because of racial references...

And no - because GSU got pollaxed by McNeese in an absolute horrible display of football, if I was going to hire a coach from a HBC - I would first look to Pete Richardson at Southern because his teams COMPETE and win against all type of schools.

Matt you have now been WARNED twice about RACIAL references - there will not be another warning...

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    Reddawg, if Saban wanted an NFL job, I think last year was his year to go. He didn't, which leads me to believe he wants to stay at LSU until he wins a national title, then go to the NFL. There probably won't be as many head coaching vacancies this year in the NFL as there were last year, but there are always one or two. I just don't see him going to another college job, he likes his situation at LSU, and has said repeatedly he and his family are very happy in Baton Rouge. IF he leaves though, I have to believe Jimbo Fisher is the man to replace him. I don't think that will happen though. Then you guys can have Fisher.

Now, in all seriousness, folks, I don't think Bicknell will be fired after this season. I really don't. First off, Louisiana Tech doesn't have the money to buy him out. Secondly, I just don't see Jim Oakes and Dr. Reneau firing him just one year removed from a WAC title. I think they will just chalk it up to a bad luck year or something and give him one more shot. Now next year, if he fails to win at least five games, then the seat will get hot. VERY HOT! The administration may have no choice but to buy him out and hire a new coach to placate the unhappy fans, and who knows, maybe one or more of the wealthy alumni will put up the money to buy his contract out. Your program is not in trouble, yet. I wouldn't worry about that unless back-to-back 2-10 seasons or worse occur this year and next. You've just got to stay positive and hope for some wins. And keep going to games too. That's very important.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddawg
    Jetstorm,
    Just curious if you have heard anything about Saban going pro?? A few of my friends have mentioned it. If he did, that may put Fisher looking for a job??? Although, I am sure that would be LSUs first choice. I can dream though

Reddawg
    Dreaming is good, but reality says that Bicknell has a 4-year contract at $250,000 per year. Ouch. That pinch hurt.

I just hope he will step up to the plate at make the necessary changes in our team and coaching because it appears he will stay here.

EJ,

Reality says that Jim Oakes calls the rich alumni such as Davidson and Wiley brothers to get them to buy out Bick's contract. Jim Oakes made the mistakes and it is his job to fix them. He uses money as an excuse because he is too lazy to do his job.

P.S. If we hire Doug Williams, there seems to be a guy that donates money wherever he is at. It usually is about $1,000,000. The money to buy Bick's contract out is very easy to get.

DFM,

McNeese is expected to crush Grambling, it is their only loss. Grambling was struggling before he got there and he turned them around. Southern has not played McNeese. How many times have you seen Grambling play, probably 0, you are just probably looking at the boxscores. And Grambling's top 4 WRs average over 15 yards a catch. You probably have never seen Southern play either, btw, did you know that they are 2-5.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Odds are they will beat GSU again this year -

Fact is Southern usually plays Tulane and Northwestern every year and beats them or is very competitive with them in most years...

Hugh Culverhouse gave the money to Grambling because of the school's association with Ed Steinbrener and meeting Doug via him...

I seriously doubt that the Culverhouses would give any other non-HBC serious jack unless they had a personal tie with the school...

The Shreveport Times did a big write-up on the article when the donation happened and if you would like to further investigate the matter email Jimmy Watson - I'm sure he could point you in the right direction...

I can wait for the next four weeks to go by so we can get your daily rants on why Keith Richard is such a poor coach also, because he is not giving Zach adequate minutes per Matt's book -

With Tiger in the shape he is in, Joe Sykes ready, Darian Brown being Darian Brown, and Wayne Powell much improved - I look for Zach's minutes to possibly go down - so get ready for it...

Varsity Bulldog Screenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your time
    i'm not sure we can afford JIMBO, i think he is one of the highest paid Assistant Coaches in the country.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    Hugh Culverhouse gave the money to Grambling because of the school's association with Ed Steinbrener and meeting Doug via him...

I seriously doubt that the Culverhouses would give any other non-HBC serious jack unless they had a personal tie with the school...
    Then why did Hugh Culverhouse donate what he did to the High School that Doug was coaching when he was there? Is that High School also associated with Ed Steinbrener?

DFM,

You have no idea what you are talking about. Southern have been losing to SWAC teams, I just looked on their schedule. How can you comment on the way Grambling plays when you have never seen them play, I have not seen them play either. Hugh is a Doug Williams supporter and we might be able to get him to chip in to buy out Bick's contract, but we don't really need him to since we have some rich alumni that can do it. Anyone that can not see that Doug Williams is the coach we should hire is blind. Grambling was struggling before he got there, then when he got there they started winning, that tells you something. You should actually research before you try to present facts.

+ Reply to Thread