View Poll Results: Did the SMU WR step out of bounds on the long 84 yard TD?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 27.27%
  • No

3 13.64%
  • I didn't see it

13 59.09%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did the WR step out of bounds???

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar
    I sure thought he did

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar
    So what if he did. We shouldn't even be playing that tight of a game with a 0-7 team for a bad call to even matter!

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg
    I sure thought he did
    Sportdawg, you must have been on the opposite side of the field from the Tech crowd. I had absolutely no idea that that was even questioned from my vantage point.

The poll question should actually be "How in the hell can the SMU WR be so wide open on third and very long?", or "How can a freshman QB making his first collegiate start throw a huge bomb on us in that situation?"

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar
    It's a moot point, sour grapes, whatever you wish to call it, but I was at the SMU game and the SMU WR unquestionably stepped a good 3 feet out of bounds on their game winning TD. Two WAC officials were standing near him when Brazil bumped the WR out and he came back in.

When they eventually showed the replay on the big screen, the view from before the 50 yard line was omitted (the WR was already back into the field of play at that point).

I'll swear to the above on a stack of Bibles as high as anyone cares to stack them.

I didn't bring this up yesterday, because it is irrelevant. We have much bigger problems to solve- like how an 0-7 team we scouted for 2 weeks & watched get dismantled last week on television scored their first 30 points on our veteran team.

We "just don't have any answers" and the WAC clearly is taking no chances in letting another eastern conference team slip into one of the 3 western bowl games.
    ________
    GLASS BUBBLERS
    Last edited by DogsWin; 04-18-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar
    I was on the Tech side, when the QB threw the ball, I looked to where he was throwing it and I saw the guy coming back inbounds.

Puppy hamellontrial is on the way down
    a player is allowed to reenter the field of play if he is forced out of bounds. the ignorance on this board is abundant.

Big Dog SpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the rough SpaceDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hamellontrial
    a player is allowed to reenter the field of play if he is forced out of bounds. the ignorance on this board is abundant.
    Sure, a player may reenter the field of play, but that player may not be the first player to touch the ball once he comes back in bounds. This rule also comes into play in punt coverage situations.

People with more rulebook knowledge, feel free to correct me.

Thats NFL Jacko

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar
    SpaceDawg is right.

An elligible receiver who goes out of bounds during a down can not be the first to touch the ball after a forward pass. In college football.

Well, of couse he CAN, but the offense should receive an 'illegal touching' penalty and, i believe, a loss of down.

Jacko?

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    ... the ignorance on this board is abundant.
    Your definitely not helping matters... :roll:

Big Dog SpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the rough SpaceDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodawg
    An elligible receiver who goes out of bounds during a down can not be the first to touch the ball after a forward pass. In college football.
    TurboDawg,

Is the rule different in the NFL? I'm trying to find the wording of the rule, and I'm unable to find anything right now.

SD

College rule:

No eligible offensive player who goes out of bounds during a down shall touch a legal forward pass in the field of play or end zones or while airborne until it has been touched by an opponent or official.

Exception: This does not apply to an eligible offensive player who attempts to return inbounds immediately after being blocked out of bounds by an opponent.

Penalty: Loss of down at the previous spot.

Source:

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...ball_rules.pdf

Rule 7, Section 3, Article 4 (page 92)

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    Bonehead.

Thats all you got is Bonehead surely you cant to better than that......by the way if i were you i would change your name. "Cool Hand" isn't exactly a complement anymore.

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDawg

Is the rule different in the NFL? I'm trying to find the wording of the rule, and I'm unable to find anything right now.

SD
    Space, thanks for finding the NCAA wording. I saw a game not too long ago (can't remember who) where an official threw his hat to indicate this, and they mentioned it.

I think the NFL rule is slightly different (It seems like there's some wording about the receiver "re-establishing" himself in bounds), but in practice, plays out pretty much the same way unless the receiver is pushed out. (Come to think of it, I'm not sure what happens if the receiver is pushed out within the 5 yards from the line of scrimmage where he can get bumped, and if it happens beyond that.)

I'll look for the rule. Or maybe hamellontrial can tell us?

+ Reply to Thread