+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New AD

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: New AD

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    My Momma always told me if you didn't something good to say just don't say anything...Reneau never got it and missed so many opportunities. He did not have a business mind, and he didn't have anyone around that had one because he didn't think he needed one. Guice...I've known for 45 years...like him a lot, but he learned from Reneau.

It's time to run Tech like a business...and Pepsi is bad for business!
    I like Pepsi. I like Coke too. Don't care for Dr. Pepper or Sprite but will drink either if that was all there was. I own both Pepsi and Coke stock and both have been great investments.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

I recall during my time at Tech, my marketing professor organized the Coke/Pepsi challenge test. Out of 30 students, more than half got it wrong. What I gathered from it is that many people don't possess the refined palate they believe they do. Some were out right arrogant thinking they could distinguish between the two and got it wrong. I remember myself losing the Coke/Pepsi challenge. As a consumer if I do buy cola, it would be a Coke product though. I have no hatred for Pepsi, but Jack and Pepsi just sounds so wrong.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I recall during my time at Tech, my marketing professor organized the Coke/Pepsi challenge test. Out of 30 students, more than half got it wrong. What I gathered from it is that many people don't possess the refined palate they believe they do. Some were out right arrogant thinking they could distinguish between the two and got it wrong. I remember myself losing the Coke/Pepsi challenge. As a consumer if I do buy cola, it would be a Coke product though. I have no hatred for Pepsi, but Jack and Pepsi just sounds so wrong.
    Interesting. I think I could pass because I dislike Pepsi so much. That's not my reason for disliking the contract/deal they threw together with Pepsi although I know that the Coke corporate was the real problem. I dislike the deal because Tech apparently has not shopped or rebid the contract since the change. The contract is extremely valuable with the students and fans being the end users. The students or me as a fan have never been questioned on which product is preferred. This, which is like so many other things that have been "Teched up", tells me the average fan (end user) means nothing to the decision makers at Tech.

Hopefully this is about to change.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Interesting. I think I could pass because I dislike Pepsi so much. That's not my reason for disliking the contract/deal they threw together with Pepsi although I know that the Coke corporate was the real problem. I dislike the deal because Tech apparently has not shopped or rebid the contract since the change. The contract is extremely valuable with the students and fans being the end users. The students or me as a fan have never been questioned on which product is preferred. This, which is like so many other things that have been "Teched up", tells me the average fan (end user) means nothing to the decision makers at Tech.

Hopefully this is about to change.
    I think there is chapter in either one of the Malcolm Gladwell or Freakanomics books about the Pepsi Challenge and what it means and doesn't mean. Pepsi is sweeter, so in a taste test environment it can beat Coke. But nobody just drinks a little shot glass of soda. You drink a can or bottle or glass - and Coke tends to be preferred there because it's better overall (ok, that's my biased "better" - maybe "mellower" or "more subtle" or something).

With a captive market like a university campus, I wonder how much it matters. I think most folks must just sigh and get over it and buy what there is anyway (or don't have a preference). I bet they lose some money just from the most committed people (my wife was at a restaurant literally just yesterday and ordered a "coke" and when told that they serve Pepsi products switched to water). But I doubt it has that much impact even over a long period of time with a large group. I'm sure the companies know the math and share it with schools, but it's probably not public. I know the guy that used to be the lawyer that handled TCU's contracts. I'll have to ask sometime.

My employer switched from Coke to Pepsi right after I got here to my disappointment. Some fairly high up people clearly don't like it (as staff) but money is money and these contracts run a long time.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

@BelinsonMatt: 5h

Noteworthy answer from new #LATech AD Ryan Ivey this morning when asked by @MorningDrive318 if CUSA is a good fit for Louisiana Tech:

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I’m thinking of going back to my high school and college diet and cutting all carbonated beverages. That is my only contribution to the current subject. It may not help my alma mater, but it will help me. In dollars and lbs.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I’m thinking of going back to my high school and college diet and cutting all carbonated beverages. That is my only contribution to the current subject. It may not help my alma mater, but it will help me. In dollars and lbs.
    Sugar is poison and I'm an addict. Going without it is tough, but it makes a world of difference. I love old fashion regular coke. $4 per at Tech games makes it easier to lay off. The $4 for water is price gouging.

Hope the $5 tix for next weeks MBB game was a new AD idea. I'm going just because he or somebody made an effort to draw a crowd.

Big Dog RUBLUE is a jewel in the roughRUBLUE is a jewel in the roughRUBLUE is a jewel in the roughRUBLUE is a jewel in the roughRUBLUE is a jewel in the roughRUBLUE is a jewel in the roughRUBLUE is a jewel in the roughRUBLUE is a jewel in the roughRUBLUE is a jewel in the roughRUBLUE is a jewel in the roughRUBLUE is a jewel in the rough

Has anyone shown him how to get to the the offices of our Co-HC's of WBB?

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by RUBLUE View Post
    Has anyone shown him how to get to the the offices of our Co-HC's of WBB?
    Naw, no need. The WBB fans are lauding them and are happy they won three game in a row to avoid a 20 loss season. Look at all the recent praise for them, they'll get a new contract cause their athletes make good grades.

Bulldog jycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the ears

Quote Originally Posted by DJDAWG View Post
    Naw, no need. The WBB fans are lauding them and are happy they won three game in a row to avoid a 20 loss season. Look at all the recent praise for them, they'll get a new contract cause their athletes make good grades.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Seeing the recent positive comments from some on this board reminds me of someone asking Mrs. Lincoln, "Yea, but how was the play?". I watched the last game on TV and it seemed most of what the HC could do was squat on the sidelines, clap her hands and yell "Let's go!". Maybe she was imparting her wisdom during the timeouts, but surely no realtime adjustments as we were giving the game away. We ended up winning but no way it was due to the coach. But hey, no worries here as she runs a clean program and has good kids. She knows there are a multitude of people, many of which are on this board, that laud her lack of success and will gladly extend her contract. Might as well write into the extension to kill what little is left of the program and put it out of its misery. So disheartening!

Bulldog jycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the earsjycww seems to have something between the ears

Had a very interesting conversation this afternoon. Was on the soccer fields watching the grandkids when a friend of my kids yelled that they wanted to talk to me. Said it was about the new AD at La. Tech. This person worked many years in the Southland Conference HQ and was very familiar with the new AD, etc. They knew from past conversations that my wife and I graduated from Tech and definitely weren't fans of the past ADs. From their experience of working with Ivey.........

(1) Said that truthfully, he should have gotten the AD job when McClelland left McNeese to come to Tech. He had worked with McClelland and most in HQ thought Ivey would get it. Instead the administration took the safe route and the political route and chose someone else. Said that Ivey has carried a chip on his shoulder ever since. Said that he was very principled and honest guy.
    (2) Strong suit is raising capital for the university. Very astute at raising $$ from both corporate as well as alumni. They expect the same as he starts at Tech.
    (3) When I mentioned that student support has more or less dwindled to next to nothing, they said that they would expect Ivey to focus on that and try to strengthen it. Said to give him a chance and see what he can do.
    (4) This person is no longer affiliated with the Southland Conference, but certainly has kept contacts and stayed in touch with the network of ppl. When I said that I had wondered why Tech didn't reach out to a Asst. AD at a P5 school, they said that through text messages, when Ivey was named, they had all asked the same question. While they support Ivey, they could only assume it was due to the $$$ available that kept a P5 Asst AD from being considered.
    (5) The concerning thing, and they admitted that they knew I wouldn't like it, is that he and McClelland are very very tight and best friends. Said that Ivey's modus operandi will be similar and their thought processes will be very alike. To me, anyway, that isn't very encouraging.

They were quick to say give him a chance and we might be pleasantly surprised. Giving him a chance is really our only option.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

If the similarities with Tommy go beyond the fact they are both male, I think we have a problem.

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

It seems like a lot of schools struggle with low attendance at athletic events, yet some schools still have great attendance. I have wondered if the greater availability of televised and streamed games has caused the decline in attendance, or are there other factors. Tech is not alone. I was at Tech from 1978 to 1985 and I can remember going to a lot of packed football and basketball games.

For us it’s strictly financial. We had to give up something and we enjoy football and baseball more. Basketball tickets were not renewed this year for the first time in 20 years.

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    For us it’s strictly financial. We had to give up something and we enjoy football and baseball more. Basketball tickets were not renewed this year for the first time in 20 years.
    It's a 250 mile round trip for me, which is a significant expense in and of itself. I haven't been to any games in a few years now, but would like to go again. The sneaker squeaking drives my wife bonkers so basketball is out (because I don't want to make that trip by myself). Back in the day, the student turnout was great for football, at least for the first half and a lot of students also attended basketball games.

+ Reply to Thread