+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How ugly (based on the football reaction) -

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Will it get for Budke if things go south on him quickly?

He is only returning three kids with any type of experience...

I don't hin he will be favored in any of the big OOC games and with these newbies conference travel could be a struggle -

Champ110, WEunice - what are your thoughts ...

Will he have a honeymoon period?

Realistically an argument could be made that this team shouldn't be ranked at the start of the season...

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar
    I personally feel that Barmore (due to his NC rings) was able to make certain demands of the adminstration (fair or not) that Budke will not be able to. I think that until he gets 4 rings, he will always be seen as Barmore's replacement. Should be interesting. I think here is where we find out what kind of coach we got.

Also, Budke doesn't have near the ties to the school and town that Barmore did. Assuming he were to advance to a final, I don't know that he wouldn't leave for another school with big time football and/or men's basketball who could surely offer him more money.

Like I said, should be interesting.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    I do think he will get a honeymoon period. The fans will allow, worst case, a few seasons like 1991, 1992. Beyond that, results will be expected.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    I think he will definitely need to make it to the NCAA tournament. Breaking that tradition would hurt him greatly. Loosing in the first round last year was heart breaking, but in some ways helped Budke. If he makes it to the Sweet 16, which having the first two rounds in our house helps him, then he should garner some big suppport.

I don't know if he really gets a good grace period, though. Expectations are high with this recruiting class. If the team shows that they can compete with Texas Tech and Tennessee this year, that will help bring the support in. Loosing to SFA will be VERY hurtful and they are a dangerous team.

If he does do fairly well, then the recruiting season will make or break him.

I think we have a good chance of beating Texas Tech, though. They will be #3 in the country and don't even have a exhibition game before us - we only have one, though. Texas Tech is good, but is over rated if you ask me. They are a slow methodical team. If we have the speed that I think we will have this year, we could knock them off balance easily.

Frierson will be a key this year. If she is in good form, we have Ford, Obaze, and Smith that give us a LOT of experience. That is just one new starter on the team. The point guard position (A HUGE KEY) will be the next question. Can a freshman step it up early? Freshmen now a days come in better prepared than in older days. They have more experience and are able to compete more readily.

I am very eager for this year. Probably some of that is the disappointment about football, but I am ready to rock & roll in men's and women's bball.

Texas Tech and Florida better LOOK OUT!

Puppy vernon1945 is an unknown
    I think it is like any other sport following. When you follow a legend it is a tough job. You have to win and win big immediately. I agree about Coach Barmore being able to get what wanted, that comes with time, but I believe Tech athletics will need a boost in the arm to recover from the outfall of football. The sign of a good athletic department, is to get quality people in these positions. This will be another test to ours. Good luck coach

Big Dog coop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud of coop1448's Avatar
    I may be trying to read into this thread a little too deep, but based on posts I have read from some in re to the Techsters, I am going to be alittle agressive.

First, let me acknowledge, that those questions were not directed toward me, only to Champ and Weunice. I will respond anyway.

Second, let me say that we return 4 players with significant playing time as opposed to three, as mentioned.

Third, "I don't think HE will be favored in any of the big OOC games." That should be WE, not HE. HE has outstanding backup in the coaching crew with several who have tenured under Barmore, including him. Also, I LOVE coach Barmore! I think he is the greatest coach in the world and was sooooo disappointed he left. But in re to Coach Budke and OOC games, favored or not, we have failed over the last few years in MANY big time OOC games, under the direction of the greatest, so putting his credentials on the line, based on that alone is NOT fair.

Realistically an argument can be made that this team should not be ranked???? What do you show that we are ranked currently? What does not ranked mean? Not top 25, not top 10? What do you know about the other ranked (TOP 25) teams that indicates that "realistically" we should not be ranked????? What do you know about this team, other than we return 4 starters with a new coach who has NATIONAL CHAMPTIONSHIP history and garnered coaching history of the likes of Betty Lennox and more.

Forth, Barmore did not have 4 championship rings, so why should we place burden on Budke to get 4? And saying that Budke will not have the pull that Barmore had?????????For Heaven's sake, Coach B was born and raised in Dubach. He IS the winningest coach in basketball history, men or women. Has lived here all his life. I would venture to say that there is NO coach who could ever come in and have the PULL that coach B had - football, basketball, baseball, tennis, ect, none.

You know, I read all these beligerent posts on the football team. I read all the ill feelings that "football fans" have against the Techsters. I read that we are calling for Bicknell and Hines resignment. I also know how easy it is to know very little about the actual INSIDE goings on and place judgements! The ability of true management, is to take problems that you are given and FIX them. Many problems don't get fixed over night. I am not going to post this on the football page, because I realize that I am in the minority. I am female and sit in the rain and cold to watch the football team. I will be there this weekend, when many of my friends will not. I travel to UAB to watch them. There are probably very few as loyal and dedicated as me and anyone who knows me will agree. The coaches need to be allowed time to FIX the problems, which apparently take alittle time.

Now, placing judgement on the abilities of a Coach (Budke) before the season even begins. Sit in and watch a practice or at a game or read up on other WOMEN"S Teams (which I know is not going to happen because, who, afterall "really watches women's basketball or even cares about it"? Right?) and then offer opinions, but not until then.

I apologize if I have offended anyone with this post. It was directed not only at some on this thread, but others who post here as well. I get so tired of people analyzing and judging without any first hand knowledge.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar
    Well, Coop, let me attempt to make a few salient points here:

-I didn't say that Barmore had 4 rings. I believe he has 3? (anyone?) Anyway, assuming he has three, I believe that Budke needs one more, to separate himself from Barmore. I still believe this, regardless of what "first hand" information you have. I finding out more and more in "Techdom" that the so-called insiders are the ones with no clue to what's going on.

-I notice that you didn't disagree with the point that Budke doesn't have the same pull as Barmore, and therefore, can't make the same demands of the administration. In fact, he's probably on an even keel with Keith Richard right now in that respect.

-I was not replying to Goose for Eunice, but replying to the thread in general, so you were perfectly in your right to respond to me. That goes for any topic not only in this folder, but on the board as a whole. So, you should never apologize for speaking your mind and making your opinion known----on ANY thread.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    Several reasons the man one being that -

1) Odds are - I have watched more Techster games in person that 99% of the people that post on this board...

2) I have been a season ticket holder since I graduated almost 13 years ago...

3) He has only three players returning from a team that was a major disappointment last year...

4) He is paid very hansomely to perform a job and I help pay that salary...

5) Last but not least - it is damn hard to replace a legend and be successful - there is a big graveyard full of those who have tried and failed and only about three who have succeeded in all of sport...

6) Incase you have not noted - this message board is about assumption, speculation and more speculation...

Big Dog coop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud ofcoop1448 has much to be proud of coop1448's Avatar
    Again, he returns FOUR starting (at one time or another) players.

I don't recall calling myself an "insider" or saying that I had "first hand" knowledge.

I am well aware that many of the posters on this board do not attend Techster games. Glad you happen to be in the minority. Glad you are a season ticket holder, but in my opinion, that has no bearing on loyalty.

I had been told by several former posters who use to frequent the football board that this was a bashing place and have noted that on my own. Some of the posters on here seem to have a great deal of open heartedness and understanding, but alot do not. I overlooked and ignored all the bad mouthing of the football team and coaches because I am, unfortunately, not an expert on football, although I don't recall missing a Louisiana Tech football game in 32 years of life. But when people get on the women's basketball site and the only thing they show is pessimism, I take it very personally. Again, I have not missed a home game since the beginning of the program when I was 5.

I to help pay the salaries as well. But at this point, I don't think any of us can judge whether he deserves it or not. Is that what your incenuation was? "He is paid very handsomely"? That he does not deserve it? I would really be interested in seeing a breakdown of what people "think" each coach "should" be paid based on length of season, amount of travel time, girls v. boys, TV exposure, etc.

I imagine it is hard to replace a legend. I wouldn't know for sure. But I "assume" it is possible to both replace and be successful.

All the other message boards I review, expect that the posters back their posts up with fact. Since this one is for assuming and speculation, then I suppose I need to refrain from posting here because I don't like to pull stuff out of my ___________ with no facts to back my OPINION up.

Now I see...this site is by most users (NOT ALL) very bashing and negative. Everytime I read it, I leave in a bad mood. You know on the ESPN site, we take the bashing from Tennessee and UC fans all the time, that is expected, but bashing from within your own school of supposedly loyal fans...How sad. I refuse to defend myself and my teams to my own fans. I will leave and let you find someone else to bully up on, since that is what this board does.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coop1448
    Glad you are a season ticket holder, but in my opinion, that has no bearing on loyalty.
    OH, but it does. And, that applies to every sport. It shows a COMMITMENT by fans to SUPPORT the team.

No one here is wishing that the Techsters do poorly. The question was simply asked... what will be the response IF things do not go well this year.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    Great post Coop!

Hang in here, though. I left for a while last year for the same reason that you are stating. It feels sometimes that we have to defend more than celebrate our support.

I agree with everything you stated in your posts.

AND, we DO have four returning starters. Although Frierson did not start every game, she definitely adds the experience that we need and did start plenty. Add to that a stellar recruiting class. We will be fine.

Also, I agree with Coop about being a season ticket holder does not equal support.

Support is standing by all Tech's teams. It is defending them against attackers - from the inside and outside. It is being as positive as possible. AND it is about attending games. One of those attributes alone does not qualify anyone as a "supporter". I don't know many of the people on this board personally. I do know Dwayne, though. Dwayne is a good guy. He does give of his time and money to Tech. We do disagree mightely about the Techsters, though, often.

Come on back, Coop. Otherwise, there are just a handful of us true Techster supporters on here.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar
    1. CF must be an animal on the court. She can not hesitate. She must play 100% every second she is out there. I still do not think she is over the knee problem. Budke should rest her every 4-5 minutes for at least one clock stoppage.

2. We need to shoot about 35% from behind the 3 point arc every night. Until we hit the three, teams are going to pack it in on the CF "twins". The only team we lit up was SMU at SMU last season. Evey other team made us pay for our poor 3 point shooting.

3. Perry not being here will help us on and off the court.

4. Ford can not pick up cheap fouls (temper).

5. Speed at the 1, 2 & 3 positions. We need SPEED, SPEED and more SPEED. Lack of speed KILLED us last season. Smith and Obaze are better than average. Who is the third player?

Good post faninmonroe.

I think we have many choices for that 3rd guard spot. These are the choices:

Tamaka Clay (JC Transfer - averaged 12.5 ppg)

LaToya George (freshman - averagered 31.5ppg) This one is my favorite. VERY quick and athletic and a great shooter.

LaTarsha Crain (freshman - averaged 30 ppg)

Aarica Ray (great size guard at 6' Freshman - averaged 25 ppg)

LaTosha Christmas didn't qualify academically, so that is a blow. I am hoping that she will be with us next year.

That is a good bevy of guards that will be able to shoot from the outside and are very quick and athletic. With the leadership of Amber and Erica, we should be better than we have been at guard since Tamika and Betty left.

I think this years team is MUCH better balanced. We have some great front line players to back up Ford and Frierson. As soon as Sultra Harding and Kursh are healed up, we can play with anyone in the country.

I have high hopes this year. I think a NC is too much to ask for, but I think we will challenge anyone. Texas Tech will be our first test. If we can beat them on Tennessee's home floor, we will pop right into the top ten. Then we have Tenn. at the TAC in early December. Home court advantage and some games under our belt should help us compete with them very nicely.

All the polls indicate Duke at #1 and Tenn. at #2. I don't think Duke is #1 in the country at all. We should have beaten them last year. Of course, we should have beaten RICE too. :-) The only thing Duke has is Alana Beard in my opinion. Tenn. is good, but didn't get do that well last year. They return most everyone, but experience isn't always what it is cracked up to be. Look at us last year.

Coop here is the deal -

I have traveled to Two Final fours and Five regional finals -

I also right a check everytime I get a little letter asking for money for WAC rings, NCAA tourney rings etc, etc, etc...

I also go to several away games each year when they don't interfer with men's basketball -

Like I said I have watched more Techster basketball than 99% of the posters on this board and I'm willing to bet donuts to dollars that I watch more than you and Champ110 combined each year -

And if that ain't support than what is -

Fact is last years team was a concensus Final Four team that didn't make it out of the first round -

they return only Two full-time starters and One part-time starter and a player with a GIMP leg -

We are replacing the third most successful coach in women's basketball history and odds are things will not be the same and this program will struggle -

My question was - Will Budke be given a honeymoon period or will he be expected to win right out of the shoot and be expected to win big -

He is the second highest paid coach on the campus behind the head football coach - don't think that he will not be expected to win and win big...

Based on the past four years of tourney play this program is no longer on the level of Tenn or UConn - question is - will it start to close that gap or will it widen?

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    I am not the biggest Techster fan but I've seen many games and even been to some out of town tourney games so take that for what it's worth. Here's my opinion.

Ever since we got blown out by Tennessee and I watched leon sit on the bench like he didn't care and I've observed it many times since then I have anticipated his retirement and looked forward to having a coach with some fire like the old leon. I've seen him at practice and he has fire but during lacked that during the games.

Budke obviously knows something about coaching b/c he has won regardless of what level. He is stepping into a whole new level now but it's not like he is fresh out of JC and never seen this level of comp. I think he'll do fine IF he gets back to the Pam Thomas, TJ, A Wilson brand of Techster ball run and gun on offense and the past few years we have not had the speed that used to characterize Techster teams nor one person who could make a 3 much less 2 or 3 people who were threats behind the arc. If these new recruits are as good as advertised and can step up I think they'll be alright. I don't see the gap getting any bigger than losing in the first round of NCAAs. That was a big help to Budke IMO. I don't see us doing that again esp. since we are playing at home for 1st 2 rounds.
    1st year I say is a success. Could be Huge success if Frierson returns to true freshman form where she was the best player on the floor.

+ Reply to Thread