Quote Originally Posted by Reddawg

The Public Affairs Research Council of Louisiana says married couples filing jointly would break even if they earn about $72,500 to $78,000 a year. Generally, those who earn less would pay less overall tax, and those who earn more would pay higher taxes overall.

The approximate break-even income for single filers with no dependents would fall between $36,500 and $37,500, according to PAR.
Hey Reddawg, thanks for weighing in. I'm still not positive how I'm going to vote...

Looking at your numbers above: Do you know what the median income in Louisiana is???

Here's another tidbit:

In 1999, 37.3% of jobs in Louisiana paid below the wage needed to lift a family of four above the poverty line with full-time, full-year work. The share of jobs that pay poverty-level wages declined slightly over the 1990s, but Louisiana still has a greater share of these jobs than in the nation as a whole.

That's from Mishel, Lawrence, Bernstein, and Schmitt. 2000.
State of Working America 2000-01. Economic Policy Institute. www.epinet.org

Again, it's pretty safe to say that a lot of those folks are paying A HIGHER PERCENTAGE OF THEIR INCOME in sales taxes than people with higher incomes. Where's the equity there?

I've got a couple more thoughts, though, that I'll try to get to later.

By the by, did anybody catch "The State We're In" this week?