+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stelly Plan

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddawg

The Public Affairs Research Council of Louisiana says married couples filing jointly would break even if they earn about $72,500 to $78,000 a year. Generally, those who earn less would pay less overall tax, and those who earn more would pay higher taxes overall.

The approximate break-even income for single filers with no dependents would fall between $36,500 and $37,500, according to PAR.
    Hey Reddawg, thanks for weighing in. I'm still not positive how I'm going to vote...

Looking at your numbers above: Do you know what the median income in Louisiana is???

Here's another tidbit:

In 1999, 37.3% of jobs in Louisiana paid below the wage needed to lift a family of four above the poverty line with full-time, full-year work. The share of jobs that pay poverty-level wages declined slightly over the 1990s, but Louisiana still has a greater share of these jobs than in the nation as a whole.

That's from Mishel, Lawrence, Bernstein, and Schmitt. 2000.
    State of Working America 2000-01. Economic Policy Institute. www.epinet.org

Again, it's pretty safe to say that a lot of those folks are paying A HIGHER PERCENTAGE OF THEIR INCOME in sales taxes than people with higher incomes. Where's the equity there?

I've got a couple more thoughts, though, that I'll try to get to later.

By the by, did anybody catch "The State We're In" this week?

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddawg
    Markay,
    I am worried this might pass. Several people I have talked to said "it sounds pretty good on tv". When they get all the details however, they quickly change their mind. I have told as many people as possible to vote no, but its going to be close.

Reddawg
    That engineer I mentioned in my previous message is the only one I know who has admitted to planning to vote for it. Perhaps I don't get around enough, but I'm beginning to have hope that it will fail! I'm only planning on voting in favor of #4 and #7 - I'm just of the mind that if it was a good document to start with, why do we have to vote on 10 or 12 amendments about every major election?

+ Reply to Thread