+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: La. Senate race

Champ ARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really nice ARKDAWG02's Avatar
    Anyone have a feel for how this race will shake out. I heard on the news today that a poll shows Landrieux with less than 50%. If she doesn't get 50% of the vote who will be the likely republican opponent. We have a close one in Arkansas. I'm afraid Mr. Pryor will pull this one out narrowly. Any thoughts on either race?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Here is the way I see it Ark. I really like Cooksey, but he is and VERY weak candidate. Maybe not north of I-10, but then it really doesn't matter if he is strong north of I-10 in a state wide election. I don't think it matters who we vote for in the first go-round as long as it is NOT M.L.. I think it is a given that S.H.T. will be in the run off with M.L. (if we can force one). After that I think M.L. is VERY beatable against S.H.T.. Looks like we have our best chance ever to have our first Republican Senator.

Champ ARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really nice ARKDAWG02's Avatar
    I've noticed that the national news media has given no attention at all to La. and in the end you guys could end up deciding what happens with regards to control of the senate.

In Arkansas senate race alot will depend on turnout and what part of the state it occurs in. I think south Arkansas will have a large turnout due mostly to the house of rep. race between Ross and Dickey. That would hurt Hutchinson. I still feel that Mr. Pryor will win by the slimmest of margins.

Our governors race is the one to try and figure. Mike Huckabee continues to stumble to election day losing ground. He had a double digit lead a few weeks ago and the latest poll shows him leading Jimmie Lou Fisher by only 2 points. She's been running some hard hitting campaign ads on Huckabee's parole of some high profile criminals in the state as well as the states budget problems. I can only imagine what jokes we'll hear if we have a governor named Jimmie Lou Fisher.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    We get a lot of y'alls campaign commercials here. I really haven't paid them much attention and don't keep up with the Arkansas political machine much. I do know that it is very close to Louisiana as being one of the more screwed up states. That is obvious from your ex Gov and our ex Pres. Who are the good (Reps.) guys and who are the bad (Dems.) guys?

We have our first ever republican senator, Tim Hutchinson, running for re-election against Mark Pryor. Pryor is our current attorney general and son of our long time senator David Pryor. Jay Dickey is running to try and get his seat back in south arkansas. He was defeated 2 years ago by democrat Mike Ross. Republican Tommy Robinson is running against Dem. Marion Berry for the house seat in eastern arkansas. Robinson was the Pulaski county sheriff several years ago who chained some inmates to some posts in front of the jail because he had no place to put em in his jail because of overcrowded conditions. I don't even know if our representative, John Boozeman, even has an opponent. Boozeman is a republican from a district in Arkansas that has elected republicans for better than 20 years. The race everyone is watching is the Senate and the Governor's race is shaping up as a barn burner. Huckabee has stumbled badly in the last year or so.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    I'm hoping we GET to a runoff to have a chance to show Mary Landrieu the way back to Louisiana. Its looking iffy to get there though! To me there's not a dime's worth of difference in any of the Republicans and I still have not decided which one I'm going to vote for - primarily because it really does not matter. Come December 7th if there is a runoff I will joyfully cast my vote for the one that has an R by their name - and just hope LA is doing their part to send President Bush a REPUBLICAN majority for a Christmas present!

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    This senate race depresses me. If you will remember, when Mary got elected, New Orleans waited until all of the rest of the state had their results in, then after the polls closed in the cemetaries in New Orleans, she had just enough votes to claim a victory. I felt totally disenfrachised following that election. I hope she can be beaten, but I have my doubts about the fairness of statewide elections in Louisiana.

Sounds like the Missouri election 2 years ago when St. Louis had some questionable activities supposedly after voting hours were over. They better watch that closely this year because Ms. Carnahan is beatable if the election is fair and square.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    Missouri elects dead people. In Louisiana, dead people elect.

I can see how people, to vent frustrations with the "system" could elect a dead person. In effect, they were saying, there is no politician alive worth electing. Now that Ms. C has been appointed to hubby's position, she has been forced to open her mouth and emit utterences. I cannot imagine any reasonable person who is not locked into voting a straight Democratic ticket voting for that woman. She should have taken Professor Higgens' advice and kept all of her discussions on her weather and health.

Big Dog DCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really nice DCDAWG's Avatar
    As I remember the 96 election, the Republican-majority Senate Ethics Committee investigated Woody Jenkins' allegations for nearly a year and came up with nothing.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DCDAWG
    As I remember the 96 election, the Republican-majority Senate Ethics Committee investigated Woody Jenkins' allegations for nearly a year and came up nothing.
    I'm a REPUBLICAN and I can't stand Woody Jenkins - that may have had something to do with it - lack of motivation. Just wish we'd had a better candidate 6 years ago for the good guys!

Big Dog DCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really nice DCDAWG's Avatar
    I'm a REPUBLICAN and I can't stand Woody Jenkins - that may have had something to do with it - lack of motivation. Just wish we'd had a better candidate 6 years ago for the good guys![/quote]

Do you consider this year's assortment of candidates any better?

I caught a little of the La. senate debate on C-Span last night while channel surfing. It was just beginning and I didn't watch long. Ms. Landrieu seemed pretty intent to talk about the fact she had worked with President Bush to help craft the Iraq resolution in the Senate while the 3 republicans in the race didn't seem to offer much in the way of differing opinions with regards to Iraq. All three seemed ok to me but as I said before I didn't watch much. The Iraq question was the only one I saw.

Do you consider this year's assortment of candidates any better?
    Yes, I think all of the candidates are better than Woody Jenkins. Do I have somebody that I'll be as excited to vote for as I was Ronald Reagan or George W. Bush? No. But, the way I figure it whichever REPUBLICAN I vote for is ultimately be a vote to assist our country's leader get his agenda through - and that is my goal. I'm still not sure who I'll vote for, but I do think I've narrowed it to two - and I'm still not convinced it really matters - just don't want 50% plus one vote for Mary Landrieu!

As I remember the 96 election, the Republican-majority Senate Ethics Committee investigated Woody Jenkins' allegations for nearly a year and came up with nothing.
    I will admit I'm not the person who would be considered an expert in politics. Although I do stay in tune with issues, I literally abhor politics. With that said, my memory, which again could be faulty, is that the Senate Rules Committe originally found there were instances fraud in the election, but they nevertheless seated Landrieu without prejudice, such that if the instances of fraud were proven, then a mere majority of the senate could unseat her.

Then, the investigation began. Almost immediately, the democrats started gumming up the works and slowing down the process. They then resorted to the oldest criminal defense attorney trick in the book; viz., attack the prosecutions witness, because almost inevitably, criminals hang with criminals, so the prosecution's witness is usually a criminal too. Well, as would be expected, one of the many witnesses to the voter fraud was a criminal. As soon as this inevitable fact was "discovered," Dashle and his cohorts started screaming on the televsion cameras that this was a big fraud on the part of Jenkins. This allowed the democrats to exhibit righteous indignation, and stomp out of the hearings announcing they were no longer going to participate in the investigation. What they knew from the beginning, was that by the democrats pulling out of the investigation, according to the rules of the committee, the committee no longer had subpoena power. Without subpoena power, there was no way for the investigation to continue. Without an investigation, of course, the republicans had no choice but to seat Landrieu.

Someone can check my memory on this, but I was so mad at the time as to how the election results in New Orleans went down, I promised myself I would never forget this race, and would always remain cynical about Louisiana statewide elections from then on.

+ Reply to Thread