+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMU SNOTS!! Check it out!!

Big Dog Memdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really nice Memdawg's Avatar
    COMMENTARY

John W. Slocum Jr.
    O. Paul Corley professor of Management & Operations

Time to go independent

By John W. Slocum and Marc I. Steinberg
    October 24, 2002

There is an old adage: You are known by the company you keep.
    From an academic standpoint, the WAC's intellectual prowess is mediocre, excluding Rice. None of these bastions of intellectual horsepower has a school ranked nationally by major accrediting and/or the popular presses, including Business Week and USNews & World Report.

To be associated with such schools as Boise State, UTEP, and Louisiana Tech is inconsistent with the academic mission and vision of SMU.
    Marc I. Steinberg
    Rupert and Lillian Radford professor of law

The strength of our academic community depends upon its ability to attract and hold high caliber students, staff and faculty. None of the WAC schools (but Rice) have the same standards of academic excellence we demand of our students, staff or faculty. These schools are not our academic peers.

In the latest USNews & World Report on America's Best College 2003, only Rice is ranked as a first tier university. SMU and Tulsa are ranked as second tier universities, Hawaii and UN-Reno are ranked as third tier, and Louisiana Tech and UTEP are fourth tier. Other WAC schools are not ranked among the nation's top 200 universities.

To argue that WAC schools are SMU's academic peers obfuscates reality.

On Oct. 17, The Daily Campus rated SMU sports in mid-season. Without debating the validity of such ratings, even a casual sports fan knows that immediate changes are needed, especially in football.

The state of the SMU football program is dismal. Season after season, losses mount with sparse attendance and fan apathy. SMU's homecoming drew a crowd of less than 15,000. Even with a premier playing facility and an optimistic (hopeful) new coach, the reality is that SMU's football program must change direction and quickly.

The financial abyss of the football program impacts the entire university. As two senior faculty members, we believe that drastic action must be taken now. The status quo "waiting for things to turn around" belies academic and financial reality.

There are two options. First SMU can simply drop Division 1-A football or terminate the sport. At this time, neither of these alternatives is feasible. A first-rate football complex, key alumni and administrative support, and the signing of a new coach to a lucrative long-term contract signal that SMU is not prepared to take either of these steps.

The alternative is obvious: SMU must leave the WAC and go independent.

Unfortunately, key stakeholders ignore this possibility. In football, the WAC is a pathetic conference. Students, faculty and alumni have no interest to see SMU play the likes of Boise State, UTEP, San Jose State, Louisiana Tech, Nevada-Reno and Tulsa on the gridiron. To make the financial exigencies of remaining in the WAC even more dire, television revenues are terrible and are likely to remain so.

We believe that unless SMU becomes and independent, our football situation will continue to worsen. Anyone who believes differently is distanced from reality.

Going independent will enable SMU to play major tier one or tier two universities with elite athletic programs. This will enhance needed revenues and recruitment. If Rice plays at the "big house" - Michigan - so can SMU. If Troy State can schedule Nebraska, so can we. Moreover, going independent allows us to schedule regional schools, such as TCU, Baylor, Houston, Vanderbilt, Texas Tech and Tulane, where alumni from those schools will attend SMU home games.

Such a schedule would drastically cut our financial expenses, the time our student/athletes spend away from their academic home and generate considerably more fan interest.

We must act now. As senior faculty members witnessing the continued demise of SMU's football program and its adverse impact on the entire University, immediate action must be taken.

Time to go independent
    Post your feedback on this topic here
    10/24/2002 I agree with the authors' idea that... Brad Bader
    10/24/2002 I agree that SMU is not anywhere... -
    10/24/2002 What a standard stance for a couple... Shane Bevel
    10/25/2002 What a couple of snobs. Who do they... Stewart Edwin Hendrex
    (Feedback requires a Javascript-compatible browser)

| The Daily Campus | Rotunda Yearbook | KPNI Radio |

All content in smudailycampus.com is property of Student Media Company, Inc.
    Reproduction of nay kind is prohibited without written consent. © 2002. All rights reserved.
    DISCLAIMER: Student Media Company, Inc. is an independent

Puppy packman is an unknown
    Well if you can't win football games you have to find something else to hang your hat on.
    Did i see a quote from a Professor Bennett in there?

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packman
    Well if you can't win football games you have to find something else to hang your hat on.
    For the moment, I am not touching that one. :lipseal2:

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    ON a realted note ... Vic the Demon has reappeared after a long hiatus from bashing Tech.

I guess it took us losing consecutive games to Rice and SMU for him to come out and say that we should be playing Northwestern in Shreveport instead of Oklahoma State or SMU. This article fed fuel to his fire.

It is interesting that he was nowhere to be found last season ...

Puppy packman is an unknown
    that didn't exactly come out right. i didn't mean to imply that Universities are football institutions that do a little educating on the side.
    i think i'll just shut up now before i stick my foot in my mouth again.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Vic should be proud. His demons earned a hard fought victory last night over... :drum: Nicholls St.

8-)

Bulldog hisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the ears
    of course they can do that. go ON THE ROAD to play lots and lots of really good teams with no home guarantees, not be in a conference, have no bowl game to shoot for, have all the other schools recruiting the athletes they are POINT THAT OUT to the incoming freshmen and see what their football program looks like then.

of course if they drop out of the wac completely there goes the basketball money as well.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ
    Vic should be proud. His demons earned a hard fought victory last night over... :drum: Nicholls St.

8-)
    I actually watched some of that. Man, it was ugly. Hopefully that is not indicative of what 1-AA football looks like today.

Varsity Bulldog HounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the rough
    Shreveport / Destin / Toledo Bend/Grand Isle
    What pompous a$$e$!

Where was that posted? Anyone know?

Varsity Bulldog HounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the rough
    I suppose if my first name were OMAR, I'd use O. Paul too!

Can you imagine his wife during an intimate moment screaming, "OMAR, I LUVVVVV UUUU!"

Puppy LaTechDawg has turned a few heads around hereLaTechDawg has turned a few heads around hereLaTechDawg has turned a few heads around hereLaTechDawg has turned a few heads around here
    What pompous a$$e$!

Where was that posted? Anyone know?

http://www.smudailycampus.com/vnews/...a?in_archive=1

TCU, Baylor, Houston, Vanderbilt, Texas Tech and Tulane

Now THERE are some real powerhouses that will cause fans to run over each when trying to scoop up a ticket.

Hey, if Grambling soemhow gets booted from the SWAC because of their financial woes, SMU MIGHT be able to get membership there if they don't want to hang around the WAC.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    I don't think all of SMU feels that way. There are always those few who will write such stuff.

But, there is a point in there to be considered. I think Tech needs to do everything it can to continually raise the bar on academics. The entire U of L system will be implementing a slightly tougher admission policy in 2004, but really, that only elevates the whole system up to Tech and ULL standards already in place. Maybe that will allow Tech (and ULL) to raise the bar yet again, provided the board allows it.

One thing that Tech can already do is to recruit kids with higher academic qualifications. These "great" athletes with poor grades and poorer attitudes aren't getting it done anyway.

As much as I love sports and want to see Tech do well, let's not lose sight of the true mission of the university: academics.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar
    These guys are clueless. For SMU to go indepedent would be like giving themselves the "death penalty" this time. Unless you are Notre Dame, you need a conference. I'm not sure what academic standing in U.S. News and World Reports has to do with what athletic conference you should be in anyway. I'm glad we have several good academic schools in our conference(and I include us), but it just seems like a silly reason to choose a conference. You think the SEC isn't a good deal for Vandy? Or the Big 10 for Northwestern? An athletic conference is just that: an athletic conference. If they are so concerned that the company they keep athletically keep up academically, then they can feel free to contribute generously to any department at Tech.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    Let 'em go independent - and never get to play in a bowl game again. For smart guys, they're sure dumb! We've been there done that - and let 'em have it!

+ Reply to Thread