+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Running Game

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Today I intend to watch our blocking schemes carefully. In the past I was too caught up in the game, emotionally, to study the X's & O's close enough. Of course, if it's a barnburner in the 4th then all bets are off, I'll be pure fan then. But early in the game, I want to scout our OL.

I do think that Joe Smith, Ralph Davis, and Moats, should be able to carry the ball a combined 30+ times a game. Heck, Joe can do that by himself! There is no, "well, our RB got tired" bulldinky. Sorry, Bick/Hines, that excuse won't fly.

But, if our OL is only zone blocking, then the running game is doomed to mediocrity. No way can ANY OL successfully zone-block against another decent Division IA team for 60 minutes. Won't happen.

We'll see today.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    Joe Smith only had 18 carries Sat., Moats had 1 and Davis made some nice plays on SPECIAL TEAMS. I think we could have kept the ball away from them some and the time of posession shows we didn't run and they did- Nevada had the ball over 40 minutes and we had the ball less than 20 minutes.

I heard someone's coach say on tv his motto was "The more you score the less chance you have to win" and I was replaying that in my mind Sat. Anyone else hear that?

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooddawg
    Joe Smith only had 18 carries Sat., Moats had 1 and Davis made some nice plays on SPECIAL TEAMS. I think we could have kept the ball away from them some and the time of posession shows we didn't run and they did- Nevada had the ball over 40 minutes and we had the ball less than 20 minutes.

I heard someone's coach say on tv his motto was "The more you score the less chance you have to win" and I was replaying that in my mind Sat. Anyone else hear that?
    Someone needs to ask that coach how many games he's won without scoring.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    I'm sure he'd tell you none, but his point was pretty strong if you ask me. I wish I could remember who said it. I don't think we have to worry about that being in the WAC.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    Joe should not have been running during the series when he fumbled at the end. He had to be a little tired and at risk. I know he deserves to build his yardage to increase his chances of getting positive notice from the pro teams, but Moats and Davis were chomping at the bit!

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aubunique
    Joe should not have been running during the series when he fumbled at the end. He had to be a little tired and at risk. I know he deserves to build his yardage to increase his chances of getting positive notice from the pro teams, but Moats and Davis were chomping at the bit!
    I would not have put the ball in anyone else's hands during that series. We had first and ten at our own 1 yard line. He got the first down we needed. Yes he fumbled, but I would do the same thing today...

I might have taken three kneel-downs, then punted the ball away (with a 9 point lead and less than a minute left), with very little time left on the clock. That's after Joe gets us the first down and they use all of their timeouts.

+ Reply to Thread