+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bulldogs Run Through Second Scrimmage

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar
    RUSTON - The Louisiana Tech men's basketball team hit the court today at the Thomas Assembly Center from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.for their second scrimmage of the preseason.

The Bulldogs practiced for 45 minutes before conducting three 10-minute periods of live scrimmage.

"This Saturday was better than last Saturday's scrimmage so I'm pleased about that," said Louisiana Tech head coach Keith Richard. "We've corrected some things that we didn't do well last weekend but we've still got a lot of work to do. But overall, I'm encouraged because of the progress from last week's scrimmage."

The experience of the Bulldogs was evident during the session as the six senior players played strongly in the scrimmage.

"We have a senior-laden squad and this is their team. So you should see some experience out there," Richard said. "Without question, we are going to go as they go this season."

Especially noticeable was senior forward Antonio Meeking who returns for his fourth and final season with the Bulldogs.

"I think Antonio is moving better than any time that he has in his career which is nice to see," Richard said.

The Bulldogs have also welcomed four newcomers this season with Corey Dean, Jeremy Johnston, Eric Woods and medical redshirt Joe Sykes all competing for playing time this season.

"The new guys are doing fine. It's been a shock to them with the level of intensity at the college level but they've responded well," Richard said. "As soon as they learn how to play at this level, then they'll be able to help us. Overall, I'm real happy with them."

The Bulldogs open their season in the Preseason NIT on Nov. 19 at Florida on ESPN.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute
    I was able to catch two of the three 10min. scrimmages yesterday. I'm excited about the potential of this year's team. A couple of things stood out in my limited observation time:

1. We only have one true point guard. Lavelle seems to be the only one comfortable running an offense. Bruce is improving, but he's still a little rushed and out of control for that position. This is a particularly troubling problem to me because I feel like we let one get away the year before last.(The kid to whom I'm referring is now on scholarship at one of our conference rival schools.)

In the second scrimmage, they even had M.Davis running point. Davis is a solid competitor but he ain't no point guard. I doubt he could consistently get the ball up the court against even a moderate press.

2. Meeking stills seems passive. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good player. But he hasn't demonstrated an assertive attitude in his entire career. In fact, when he attempts to be more aggressive, it almost seems contrary to who he is as a player. I think he's sort of a passive personality in general. He's does well to play hard and let the game come to him.

3. Zach is good in five minute spurts. Powell has shown much improvement both offensively and defensively. Johnston has some impressive offensive weapons. Dean is still adjusting to the fact that everybody can jump high in college. Our shooting percentage from the outside will still be streaky. We can be a great defensive team.

4. Without a doubt, Brown is the emotional leader of this team. In the scrimmages yesterday, he made the guys who play with him better and more intense.(He is really investing some energy into encouraging Johnston.) In fact, his team won both the games that I watched. That's what I'm talking about when I say leadership.

Champ ARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really nice ARKDAWG02's Avatar
    It's going to be tough with only one true point guard. Someone better step up in a back-up role.

Big Dog Buddy1972 is an unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog
    We only have one true point guard. Lavelle seems to be the only one comfortable running an offense. Bruce is improving, but he's still a little rushed and out of control for that position.
    Agree Edwards appeared rushed yesterday, but I think he will be fine. Didn't get to see Bruce as much as you folks last year because I lived up north, but I was impressed with what I saw. I made the Oklahoma game and couldn't believe it when Coach Richard threw a true freshman into the point position against one of the better teams in the nation. But Bruce handled the pressure well and his quickness really helped on defense.

What concerns me more is who is going to bust zones and score from the outside, and that's why I found the second scrimmage interesting, when Coach Richard shifted Felton to the two spot and teamed him with Bruce at the point.

Lots of options out there but, like you, I am really excited about this team. I can hardly wait for November 6th.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar
    I too was impressed by the Dunkin Dawgs yesterday. We don't have a Karl Malone, Shaq, or Iverson on the team, but we are very solid up & down the bench.

Lavelle (#1) ran the point well and Wayne Powell (#4) was clearly the most improved player on the court. I had hoped to see more aggressiveness from Joe Sykes (#35).

Against big, physical opponents I would love to see the freshman Jeremy Johnston (#13) get some time at small forward with Zach (#25) & Tiger (#34) inside. That is IF Johnston doesn't redshirt. We can bang with anyone with that lineup. Jeremy is too light this year at power forward, but he aggressively hustles for rebounds ala Darrian Brown (#24).

Coach Richard and all 3 assistants kept the practice disciplined & uptempo. When Richard would tell the team "Ok let's go" after breaks if the players weren't in his face within 1-2 seconds he would say "DAMNIT I said LET'S GO, so & so!" And then he had a few more low volume, firm words to the team. Coach Forbes kept saying "Come on ___, you gotta move, we gotta go NOW!"

We should again be one of the top 2-3 rebounding teams in the nation this year. If we can develop an uptempo (yet under control) offensive style to go along with our stellar defense, this team has the potential to be very, very good.

There will be numerous Louisiana Tech slam dunks in Thomas Assembly Center this season.
    ________
    Handjob gay
    Last edited by DogsWin; 04-18-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Puppy reconizee is an unknown
    PREPARE yourself for one of the most exciting backcourts in tech's history. you have two really good point guards,be careful what you
    allow your mind to believe from limited observation. no need to worry tech is fully supported in this position this year.

Yes,your observations are true to you but they are unbalanced and bias,which is okay (limited observation time may be partly blamed). Be patience with your verdicts especially in the area of point guard.Because you might be very DISAPPOINTED before conference begins in this area. Also brown team won both scrimmages,but can you tell us what point guard was commanding that position each time ( LEVELLE,LEVELLE orBRUCE,LEVELLE)?
    And in my observation in ALL 3 scrimmages meeking was the difference in the win and lost columns.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reconizee
    ...Be patience with your verdicts especially in the area of point guard.Because you might be very DISAPPOINTED before conference begins in this area...
    Are you saying our point guard play will be better than we think, or worse? Because if you are saying it will be better, then you can trust me when I say we won't be disappointed. I think elated would be a more appropriate term.

Champ LouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant future
    Thanks boxerdog for having me try to explain to Bruce Edward dad at 7:00AM why you are talking about his son. I think we need to be careful what we say, these kids are reading too........ :cry:

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute
    La.Select, sorry to have put you in an awkward position. It may be beneficial for me to clarify my observations: Bruce is an exceptional talent, he is quick as lightening and can jump out of the gym. He certainly has the raw material to be an impact player.

However, there are certain things that I look for in a point guard: he must be able to control the tempo of a game; he must know how to utilize his skills for the success of others; he must be on the same page with his interior players; he must oversee the sychronized dynamic of an effective offense. Obviously, these abilities don't come overnight. In fact, many people, like myself, could never accomplish them.

I am all for Bruce Edwards! Our team needs him. He is a spark plug and a great defensive player. But he has yet to fulfill my expectations for a starting point guard. Now Bruce, get out there and prove my wrong! Nobody will cheer louder than myself.

I have my ideal of a true point guard, but it dosn't matter. what matter is what coach Richard wants in a point guard. By the way, my idea of a TRUE POINT GUARD may be,
    1. To be intrusted with the confidence and respect of the commander first (coach)via performance. 2.Commands the respect of the team on and off the court (TRUST) 3. Willing to sacrifice HIS for the success of the team (unselfish). 4. Prepares before season, in season, after season and to show up through out the season. Yes time will unmask our true intentions, opinions and knowledge of the Game of Basketball. It is said when preparation meets with opportunity you gets success, THINK SUCCESS! THINK SUCCESS!! THINK SUCCESS!!! SPEAK SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

True that, reconizee, I'm not the coach. But I am a multi-sport season ticket holder and a long-time Tech supporter, and I will continue to call it as I see it. That's what this forum is about... More (personal) observations from the scrimmages:

1. Meeking is shooting the mid-range jumpshot. He can consistently hit that shot and he needs to shoot it often to open up his inside game. I was so glad to see him taking it.

2. Wilder is more comfortable as a starter. I thought he was a tremendous asset last year. He is, perhaps, the best outside defender on our team. And he is a pure scorer. He doesn't seem to take a bad shot: he's got a good three-pointer and he's got a great pull-up jumper. On top of that, he is extremely fast. If he can cut down on the turnovers and bring his 3pt. field goal % up, we will be a formidable offensive team.

3. All of the newcomers can contribute. I don't see anybody getting red-shirted this year except for, maybe, the kid from Leesville.(He wasn't real involved in the parts of the scrimmage that I saw.) I did, however, see him play as a highschooler and I think he's got potential.

Champ LouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant future
    I wish they would redshirt Eric. He had a rough senior year. Most of it was spent hurt. Man, If i could tell you what this young man went through with his family, it would hurt your heart. As a high school senior, this young man was also the bread winner for the house. How man high school senior you know pay all the bills in the house. I think Eric can use a year of college before hitting the hard wood. Now on the other hand, Eric is one of the top 10 players i have ever coached. He is a player that will be in ever space on the stat sheet. Eric will be fine. Pray for his family.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    I agree Louisiana Select I'd like to see Eric and Jeremy redshirt and play Dean, Wilder and Felton at the 2. Dean and Brown can play the 3. Edwards can play the point, if you watched him last year you can see that he has handles, quickness, and his D is unbelievable. Someone posted he worked on his shot this summer hard, but I don't think he will have to score that much on this team dish it to Felton and Wilder at the 2 and Dean at the 3 and drive and give it up to Zach or Tiger or any of the other BIG men and I do mean BIG!
    I think it would have been extra nice to have Barry Thompson here to provide points from the 3 spot. How do you think Dean will adjust after a year off? He looked alright Sat.

+ Reply to Thread