View Poll Results: Who has the best home fans?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kansas State

8 19.51%
  • A&M

8 19.51%
  • a WAC school (you'll have to explain which school)

3 7.32%
  • Penn State

1 2.44%
  • Nebraska (they did give troy edwards quite an ovation i heard)

11 26.83%
  • Auburn (or, yeah right, another SEC school)

2 4.88%
  • someone from the pre-division 1A days

0 0%
  • Arkansas (just kidding - let's try Arkansas State)

0 0%
  • Florida State

1 2.44%
  • Other

7 17.07%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best opposing fans?

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar
    I've been wondering about this for a while. I know everyone has had different experiences at probably every venue we've played at, but I figured there were some good stories out there. My personal vote goes to Kansas State. I was blown away at the 2000 game. I think everyone we talked to was really cool. Even the guy at Sonic literally RAN to bring us our food (and then apologized that it took so long, even though it was the fastest service I have ever had at any Sonic, ever). Their cheerleaders stopped us to talk(we were all sporting Tech stuff) and were impressed that we had driven up. I only remember one drunken idiot, and the K-State fans seemed more angry at him than the Tech fans. After the game (which you will remember was a total disaster for us, which may account for some of their kindness) we heard an older man in all purple telling his grandson something along the lines of "boy, they sure did have great receivers, didn't they!" Here they had just beat us senseless, and this guy is talking about how good our WR's are! I should mention that they were also very loud and very knowledgable in cheering for their guys.
    I don't know if they are good sportmen because all those years of being a whipping boy taught them how it feels on the other side, or if I just got lucky in the fans I came in contact with. It could just be that after living my whole life in SEC country it was amazing to see fans that didn't treat every opposing fan as trash. Whatever the case I enjoyed the trip (and it is a good thing, since I am pretending that the rest of that season never happened! it just didn't happen. i have totally blocked it. please join me in this. louisiana tech did NOT play football in 2000).
    I know some of you have been around for a long time and probably have been to some great places. Which was the best? I'm afraid the poll will be mostly recent opponents, but I'll try to add some broader choices.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar
    Any comments?

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    I like the Rice fans. They don't flame. They keep football in perspective.

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar
    I've got to say KSU as well. I wasn't able to make any of the games up there, but have spent a lot of time on their message board and was always welcome. They have become my second favorite team behind the Dawgs!

TDF

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar
    I liked the folks at nebraska and auburn. At both places I was welcomed by the fans. At a&m we were kinda treated like we didn't exist, we weren't welcomed, but at the sametime, we weren't treated in a bad way. They just chose not to speak to us . . . . hey . . . maybe its just ME.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86
    I liked the folks at nebraska and auburn. At both places I was welcomed by the fans. At a&m we were kinda treated like we didn't exist, we weren't welcomed, but at the sametime, we weren't treated in a bad way. They just chose not to speak to us . . . . hey . . . maybe its just ME.

When you said something to an Aggie, this look of panic would come over their face as if "gee, they didn't tell us how to act when someone from the opposing team talks to us. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO!! I"M SO CONFUSED!!!"

Big Dog macp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nice macp38's Avatar
    I thought the A&M fans were aloof and arrogant. You are exactly right, it was as if we weren't even there.

I thought Auburn was a nice atmosphere and I liked Clemson.

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all
    did you have FSU in there for lil ole me?

one thing that i have discovered is that usually people's opinion of fan bases comes from interaction with a very small number of fans. you will rarely find universay agreement about opposing fans.

the best time i have had on road trips have been at Clemson. but i know fans that swear clemson fans are nothing more than classless buffoons. i just try to do my best to help visiting fans leave Tallahassee with a positive feeling (hopefully after a loss)

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all
    Quote Originally Posted by macp38
    I thought the A&M fans were aloof and arrogant.
    last time i was in college station i laughed out loud at an aTm fam trying to put FSU down. he said "FSU only wins because you play those weak ACC teams like Vanderbilt, Temple, Rutgers and Temple. If you played real teams in the SEC we would have respect for you."

i had to inform him that of the 4 "weak ACC teams" he listed, none of them were actually in the ACC.

Big Dog macp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nice macp38's Avatar
    Kind of like the comment I heard behind me about Luke when he fumbled the ball on Saturday. She said, "He throws one of those fumbles every game"!!! I had to laugh out loud!!!

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar
    I went to Tallahassee three years ago and came with mixed reactions, but net positive I would have to say. Before the game, we tailgated along one of the boulevards and had both types come up to us. Older, family types who wished us well, asked about our team and told us to enjoy ourself. Then there was the occasional drunk college male who would try to start something, although it was never that serious, mostly someone who was trying to cut up and get a laugh out of his buddies.

At the game, we probably brought a bit onto ourself when we had the game tied near halftime and started chanting "Over-Rated" (FSU was #1 at the time). Probably not a wise idea, but we've done similar stupid things in the past. At halftime we were screaming "How Bout Them Dawgs" in the tunnels and at the concession stands at the top of our lungs. Basically we looked like Country Joe and his cousins come to town for the first time. In the second half, when it started to get ugly for us, a drunk FSU fan who had removed his shirt and tied it around his waist came down to our section and began to shoot us the finger (with both hands). This activity appalled the FSU fans in the adjacent section and they promptly told him to "Sit down!!! You're acting like a *^&* Gator Fan!!!". This retort is appartently big medicine in Tallahassee, because he immediately ceased and desisted and returned forthwith to his seat. I have no way of knowing whether or not his behavior was provoked or unprovoked.

After the game, we were eating at a restaraunt (some sports bar) in our Tech gear. Many multitudes of people (young males) came over to our table to tell us how impressed they were with Rattay and our team, and how we had really scared them in the 1st half. All in all, very friendly. Much more so than in Birmingham, where I was a little concerned for my safety after the game.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg
    I went to Tallahassee three years ago and came with mixed reactions, but net positive I would have to say. Before the game, we tailgated along one of the boulevards and had both types come up to us. Older, family types who wished us well, asked about our team and told us to enjoy ourself. Then there was the occasional drunk college male who would try to start something, although it was never that serious, mostly someone who was trying to cut up and get a laugh out of his buddies.

At the game, we probably brought a bit onto ourself when we had the game tied near halftime and started chanting "Over-Rated" (FSU was #1 at the time). Probably not a wise idea, but we've done similar stupid things in the past. At halftime we were screaming "How Bout Them Dawgs" in the tunnels and at the concession stands at the top of our lungs. Basically we looked like Country Joe and his cousins come to town for the first time. In the second half, when it started to get ugly for us, a drunk FSU fan who had removed his shirt and tied it around his waist came down to our section and began to shoot us the finger (with both hands). This activity appalled the FSU fans in the adjacent section and they promptly told him to "Sit down!!! You're acting like a *^&* Gator Fan!!!". This retort is appartently big medicine in Tallahassee, because he immediately ceased and desisted and returned forthwith to his seat. I have no way of knowing whether or not his behavior was provoked or unprovoked.

After the game, we were eating at a restaraunt (some sports bar) in our Tech gear. Many multitudes of people (young males) came over to our table to tell us how impressed they were with Rattay and our team, and how we had really scared them in the 1st half. All in all, very friendly. Much more so than in Birmingham, where I was a little concerned for my safety after the game.

Do you think that alot of the congenial treatment might have been due to the fact that Vegasdawg was with you?

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar
    May have had something to do with it. But really, they were generally pretty cool.

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar
    Some Clemson fans fed us this year at their tailgate. That was nice because they had one helluva spread! Talked to many of their fans and they were all good people.

SMU fans that were around us at the game seemed to be totally clueless as to Tech, the WAC, and football in general. Other than that, I guess they were ok. I met the girl that hosts Trading Spaces on TLC. I am sure many of you married guys know her as women love to watch this show. Paige something or other is her name. She is an SMU grad and good looking.

Every other away game that I have attended has been uneventful with their fans.

Puppy Junkyard Dawg is an unknown Junkyard Dawg's Avatar
    I'd have to say almost a tie with Nebraska over Penn St. There were only a few fans at Nebraska that mocked once we got down 21 early, but they quickly changed their tunes once Rattay and Edwards started to light them up. I think 99% were courteous, very knowledgable, and just good folks. They did give Troy quite an ovation after the game, and Rattay too, with his 590 yards passing. Penn St. was the same. Not one person talked smack while we were walking to the stadium, maybe because they were 0-2 and fearing an upset, but they were nice. I even asked one group of tailgaters who had a cutout of Jo Pa if I could get my picture taken with him, they laughed and chatted a few minutes. Both fanbases were very supportive of their teams, and not overzelous when calls went our way, which rarely happened anyway.
    One other thing too. Although they are supportive of their respective teams, EVERYONE wore red in Huskerland, most wore blue or white in Happy Valley, for the most part, both stadiums were rather tame for that many fans. We got rowdier at my high school football games than Nebraska did. The only thing PSU brought was that "We Are --- Penn State !!!" cheer, but lookout when they did, it was loud!

+ Reply to Thread