+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Defensive Changes for Off-Week

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    I know Coach Smith talked about moving Adam McConathy to DE and Adam wanted to move, but who will play MLB when Crow needs a break-Wallace? Initially I thought this was a good ideal but I REALLY believe that if we moved Chris Van Hoy to DE we would be 10X better on DL. Cage has played great and Myles is one of our best. Then Love and Street could give the DT a break and we get another one of our best DL on the field in Van Hoy.
    Then next year he can play it as well and start Love and Cage at DTs. That is a good DL and we are only replacing one DE which Ruffins, Crowe, Brown or somebody can play next year. PLEASE try this out at least for one game if it doesn't work change it but at least give it a try-like the coaches are listening to us-HA! :lol:

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar
    can gerome wallace or john nash not play middle linebacker? or are they both still hurt?

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    I thought Wallace was good last year, but ever since the injury I don't think I have seen him play any this year so I'm not sure. Nash must be still hurting, I haven't seen him on special teams or play at all either. I like what McConathy has done at LB, but more than not wanting him to move- I'd just rather see us move Van Hoy to DE. If you ask me you could move them both and I'd be happy, but I was wondering who would play MLB when Crow isn't out there b/c I hadn't seen either Wallace or Nash play. Wallace was dressed out Sat. though.

Two concerns I have:
    1. Nevada was able to run the ball at will on us? NEVADA! Sure we stacked them up some but I wasn't too impressed with our ability to stop the run. Maybe getting MJL back will help some? I know it will help overall to have him out there on D.

2. We are NOT getting enough pressure on the QB. He had lots of time and Dinwiddie will make us pay if we don't sack him 5-6 times, which based on season so far is unlikely. I don't recall a lot of blitzes Sat., but it seems like our blitzes haven't produced many sacks anyway.

The bright spot was it appeared the D was fired up and playing hard. For the 1 millionth time- I like Orlandis Williams-I wish we'd findmore playing time for him. He made one bad play where he took the wrong angle and was blocked by his team mate, but he's fast and a great tackler.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    Nevada had the top rushing offense in the conference last year. the back that replaced Kructchmeyer may be better than he is.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute
    >>>. Nevada was able to run the ball at will on us? NEVADA! Sure we stacked them up some but I wasn't too impressed with our ability to stop the run. Maybe getting MJL back will help some? I know it will help overall to have him out there on D. <<<

Good: 85% of Nevada's rushing yards were outside the tackle. It is obvious Smith intended on stopping the "up the middle" stuff, and our linebackers kept getting sealed off. The safeties were making the tackles on those plays, 8-30 yards down field. The linebackers were selling out to plug the holes inside. I may be way off, but it appears to me that they are "learning" the system, like they worked on that aspect all week at practice. Maybe their keys were all on the interior linemen or something, but they were certianly headed toward the middle on almost every run except for the outside LB, who was kicked out, or out run to the outside if he did commit to the inside, depending upon the duration of the block.

That RB was no Johnson for PSU or even close and he had a better game and it looked like they were telling us they were going to run it down our throats with all the 2TE sets and I was a little disappointed we didn't do a better job. Granted I really think they would have had 20 less points and less success if not for so many BAD or TERRIBLE calls by the refs on 3rd down that allowed their drives to continue 9 times and as least half of those of AWFUL calls and Nevada would have had to punt to us. Those drives also led to scores which allowed them to put up 47. How big was that goal line stand?

+ Reply to Thread