+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ken Hatfield

Champ rphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the rough rphdawg's Avatar
    Oct. 31, 2002, 8:28AM

Rice coach feels heat over quotes about gays
    By BRIAN McTAGGART
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

Hatfield

Rice University football coach Ken Hatfield has found himself in a swirl of controversy for recent comments attributed to him about homosexuals in The Chronicle for Higher Education, a weekly newspaper for college administrators and faculty members.

In a story about gay athletes in the Nov. 1 issue titled "The Loneliest Athlete," Hatfield is quoted as asserting homosexuality clearly conflicts with his religious beliefs and that he would consider removing a player from the team if that player said he was gay.

The article's author, Jennifer Jacobson, writes: "(Hatfield) says that while he would not necessarily kick a player off the team for being gay, he probably would think hard about it."

Hatfield said Wednesday that he told Jacobson he wasn't sure how he would deal with the situation because he never has been through it.

"I don't know how I'd deal with any situation until it occurs," he said. "She said, `He said this,' but she didn't quote me as saying that. The main thing is I'll deal with any situation period that affects the team, and I'm not going to do anything derogatory toward Rice University and its policies, period."

Scott Jaschik, editor of the Chronicle for Higher Education, said Wednesday: "We stand behind the story 100 percent."

The story prompted Rice President Malcolm Gillis to meet with Hatfield on Monday to discuss the matter.

"As soon as possible after first seeing the story on Monday, I engaged Coach Hatfield in direct and frank conversation," said Gillis in an e-mailed response to questions from the Houston Chronicle. "I made very clear that Rice and I, personally, are committed to our nondiscrimination policy and that all university employees would carry out that policy fully.

"Coach Hatfield understood what I told him and promised he would carry out university policy sincerely and completely. He has always kept his word to me, and I trust that he will on this."

In the article, Hatfield, who is active in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, is paraphrased as saying homosexuality clearly conflicts with his religious beliefs. "I believe in the Bible," he is quoted as saying.

Also, when asked what effect a player's going public with his homosexuality would have on the team and the parents of other athletes, Hatfield is quoted as saying he would ask the player: "What happened? What changed since we recruited you? When did this come about?"

Hatfield sent an apology letter that appeared on The Chronicle of Higher Education's Web site Tuesday. Gillis also sent a letter, claiming Hatfield's stance is contrary to Rice's policy on nondiscrimination.

In his letter, Hatfield writes: "I was reported to have made remarks contrary to Rice policy on about how I might deal with an athlete on my team identifying himself as homosexual. As I told the Chronicle (of Higher Education) reporter, in my role as football coach, a position of authority assigned by my university, I am aware that I must thoroughly carry out university policy, including its prohibition on discrimination based on sexual orientation.

"While I have personal views on the subject, I have assured the president that I can and will follow the university's nondiscrimination policy sincerely and completely. I apologize to the university and the entire community for any distress this story caused them."

Gillis wrote in his letter: "Our university is committed to carrying out to the fullest its policy of nondiscrimination. As I have told coach Hatfield in unequivocal terms, he is entitled to practice his personally held religious views in his private life, but as Rice University football coach he must wholeheartedly execute university policy. He has agreed to do so."

The letters were e-mailed to The Chronicle of Higher Education on Monday, and both letters and the original story were sent to the Rice faculty and student leaders, as well as the school newspaper, the Rice Thresher.

Gillis said Wednesday the response he has received from student groups is dismay over the comments, but appreciation for immediately addressing them.

Still, the article was a hot topic among campus student groups.

"It has generated a very strong reaction," said Matt Haynie, president of the Rice Student Association. "It's been the main topic of discussion."

The student association drafted a resolution Tuesday night that was scheduled to be presented before the full student senate late Wednesday for approval. The resolution will call for Hatfield to print an apology in the Thresher.

Pride, the school's gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender student group, found Hatfield's comments problematic.

"As someone representing the university, I feel it's his job, especially as a coach, to make his athletes feel safe and supported," said Uri McMillan, president of Pride. "I think his comments don't do that. It's going to hurt recruitment of students to come to Rice, especially athletes, and also his comments assume that any of the athletes he's recruiting are straight.

"It's also especially hurtful because there are gay athletes, and his comments have made it harder for those students to come out even if they wanted to."

McMillan said Pride held a meeting Tuesday to come up with a response. He said group members plan to make their presence known at football games and want a letter published in the Thresher to explain why they find Hatfield's comments discriminatory.

The Rice faculty also responded to the comments. At its regularly scheduled meeting Tuesday, the faculty unanimously passed a resolution "repudiating any statements that might seem to imply that the University discriminates and reaffirming the university's policy of nondiscrimination."

Hatfield, the fifth-winningest active coach in Division I-A college football, is in his ninth season at Rice. He was previously head coach at the Air Force Academy, Arkansas and Clemson

Champ ARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really nice ARKDAWG02's Avatar
    I really have always considered Hatfield to be one of the good guys in the college coaching ranks. I always liked him and had a tremendous amount of respect for hiim when he was at Arkansas. The people in this state that call themselves razorback fans ran off the best coach they've ever had and also the coach with the highest winning percentage at Arkansas. He is devoutly religious and after a complete wipeout by I think Texas, started his press conference after with these 2 words, "Jesus wept".

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    That will just about wind up his college coaching career.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    It is funny how journalists want to have "freedom of speech".

Coach Hatfield says what he thinks, the reporter twists it and puts words in his mouth, and now he is being scrutinized for his "freedom of speech".

Double standards...

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    It is funny how journalists want everyone to have "freedom of speech".

BUT when Coach Hatfield says what he thinks, the reporter twists it and puts words in his mouth. And now he is being scrutinized for his "freedom of speech".

Double standards...

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ
    It is funny how journalists want everyone to have "freedom of speech".

BUT when Coach Hatfield says what he thinks, the reporter twists it and puts words in his mouth. And now he is being scrutinized for his "freedom of speech".

Double standards...
    You are dang right double standards. Say anything that the liberal media doesn't consider "appropriate for society", and free speech goes out the window.

It's Ken Hatfield's football team. He can run it anyway he sees fit. When a coach can't run his football team the way he sees fit, it compromises his ability to do his job.

I thought Rice was a private Christian college anyway?

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    I don't have a problem in the world with his comments. I thought "don't ask, don't tell" was what gay members of the military were supposed to do - now those of us that have a personal religious conviction that it is called SIN have to follow the same policy? Yuck! Certainly hope it doesn't hamper his career - I'm liking him better and better.

Varsity Bulldog HounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the rough
    Shreveport / Destin / Toledo Bend/Grand Isle
    I like the spin these "journalists" put on things they know little about.

I wonder what they would be writing if THIER "straight" sons were "gawked" at by a gay player while showering or if THEIR kid was being hit on by a gay athlete in the dorm or locker room.

I can tell you from FIRST hand experience, it ain't nice and it DOES create discord in athletics... take THAT to the bank.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar
    What makes me mad is that Hatfield has to APPOLOGIZE. Appologize for what? Geesh. :x

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HounDoggy1
    I wonder what they would be writing if THIER "straight" sons were "gawked" at by a gay player while showering or if THEIR kid was being hit on by a gay athlete in the dorm or locker room.

I can tell you from FIRST hand experience, it ain't nice and it DOES create discord in athletics... take THAT to the bank.
    Well Houndoggy, you are supposed to slap your teammates' butt during the game, not in the showers after the game. That's where you messed up. :lol:

+ Reply to Thread