View Poll Results: . . . how long before Ruston gets a Chili's???

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-6 Months

5 17.24%
  • 6-12 Months

9 31.03%
  • 1-2 Years

9 31.03%
  • 2-5 Years

6 20.69%
  • I would rather have an Applebees!

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now that the floodgates have been open . . .

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar
    I can't wait to see the new dining choices for next years football season.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    I still find it strange that people keep talking about getting chain restaurants into Ruston. I suppose familiarity works these days and people who eat in chain restaurants regularly in Dallas, Houston, Shreveport, Jackson, BR, NO, Little Rock and Fayetteville will turn right into their favorite chain.
    I dream, however, of finding some unique restaurants in Ruston as a result of the new rules, not more of the same over-priced, standardized fare found every two miles along FM 1960 in Houston and other places.
    Maybe the Mohawk Tavern will put in a branch in Ruston. Maybe Doe's Eat House will send a team down from Greenville to search for an old ramshackled building in Ruston and put in a restaurant with super steak and gumbo and hot tamales and maybe a special sports bar across the street as they have in Fayetteville.
    How about a REAL Italian restaurant and a REAL Mexican restaurant? How about a super seafood house with its own daily shipments from the coast and cooks that don't have to pretend to be Cajun Dawgs? And won't the promised renewal of an old-standby barbecue place be great under the new law? Those are the things Ruston should have. Some places such as Eskimo Joes in Stillwater that visitors will want to buy a T shirt from and wear it back home. Does the Dawg House have such souvenirs these days? I remember when something called the Dawg House was basically a lunch counter that stayed open all night and certainly didn't have alcohol or TV and maybe not even a juke box!

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    I'm going to be Aub's ditto head on this post. When I go into a town, I ask stop and ask locals where the locals eat. Nothing against these chains, but I'll take the Dawghouse over Been Again's anytime. You've been to one, you've been to them all.

However, I also recognize that I'm different, and few people do that. When people are driving through Ruston, if they see a restaurant they recognize, they will leave some money in Ruston.

Now, back to the question at hand. When do I think we will get a Ben Again's. Maybe never. I think the chain has used the excuse of no alcohol to mollify those who are disappointed they didn't locate here, so they would still frequent their store in West Monroe. There may have been an opportunity a few years back, but West Monroe has jumped on it, and it may be awhile before we see any of these chains in Ruston.

For the record, I did vote for 1,2 and 5 as suggested by the Chamber. However, I didn't vote for the proposition because it was going to bring in a chain. I voted for freedom and against legalism. My fellow Baptists may disagree with this tee-totaler, but I love this country for its freedoms, and although I choose not to partake, I certainly don't believe I have the right to prevent another from that right.

Champ ARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really nice ARKDAWG02's Avatar
    Mohawk Tavern, now there's a great place. I frequented that place many times when I was at Tech and my wife and I went often when we lived in El Dorado. Doe's at Greenville is a one of a kind place also. The one in Little Rock doesn't have the same feel as Greenville but it's good to. I do prefer those kind of places to the chains. They all seem to serve the same food at about the same prices.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar
    Exactly how strong is the support for alcohol sales in Ruston restaurants? It will take a few years to answer this firmly. Remember that 43% of the Ruston voters not only don't want restaurants to sell margaritas & wine, they also voted to force existing Ruston businesses to stop selling beer too!

People should understand that typically restaurants which sell margaritas, wine, & beer with their food menu make most of their PROFIT on the alcohol sales. These margins are HUGE compared to the profit on food sales. Alcohol sales often allow a business case to be successful, but with food sales only the business can not be profitable.

I wonder how many restaurant owners are chomping at the bit to make an investment in a city which could vote in the future to revoke all alcohol sales within the city limits? Remember that 43% minority which wants no alcohol sales at all in Ruston.
    Also, how reasonable/difficult will the requirements be for restaurant owners to obtain & keep a liquor license in Ruston? This should be a very political battleground.

I would expect some job growth in Ruston, but it's doubtful it will be explosive in the near term. As others have stated, there is no need for any existing restaurants in Monroe/W. Monroe to double their investment only 30 minutes down the road. Ruston is extremely late to the "economic growth party", but at least they finally showed up.
    ________
    Lesbian Webcams
    Last edited by DogsWin; 04-18-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin
    Exactly how strong is the support for alcohol sales in Ruston restaurants? It will take a few years to answer this firmly. Remember that 43% of the Ruston voters not only don't want restaurants to sell margaritas & wine, they also voted to force existing Ruston businesses to stop selling beer too!

People should understand that typically restaurants which sell margaritas, wine, & beer with their food menu make most of their PROFIT on the alcohol sales. These margins are HUGE compared to the profit on food sales. Alcohol sales often allow a business case to be successful, but with food sales only the business can not be profitable.

I wonder how many restaurant owners are chomping at the bit to make an investment in a city which could vote in the future to revoke all alcohol sales within the city limits? Remember that 43% minority which wants no alcohol sales at all in Ruston.
    Also, how reasonable/difficult will the requirements be for restaurant owners to obtain & keep a liquor license in Ruston? This should be a very political battleground.

I would expect some job growth in Ruston, but it's doubtful it will be explosive in the near term. As others have stated, there is no need for any existing restaurants in Monroe/W. Monroe to double their investment only 30 minutes down the road. Ruston is extremely late to the "economic growth party", but at least they finally showed up.
    I don't think the large chains would be attracted to the Ruston market has much as they would be to locating on I-20. Sure you can make the case for half of Ruston shying away from establishments that sell alcohol, but surely having I-20 and Louisiana Tech nearby would offset a lot of that. Besides, most of the people that voted against the alcohol will give in to the chicken wings regardless of the bar.

As far as the investment 30 minutes down the road, you can drive by 2 Outbacks here in Baton Rouge in 10 minutes. Think of all the people that are driving eastbound on I-20 that haven’t seen anything for an hour that don’t have a clue what West Monroe has.

Ruston has had an Interstate for a long time now. I’m glad to see that we are finally about to USE IT!

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    I'm going to be Aub's ditto head on this post. When I go into a town, I ask stop and ask locals where the locals eat. Nothing against these chains, but I'll take the Dawghouse over Been Again's anytime. You've been to one, you've been to them all.
    Hmm. I didn't realize that Fuddruckers was unique to Baton Rouge.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    If you will remember, I asked for other suggestions, and the only one you gave me was all the way over by the campus. Fudruckers is great, I enjoy it, but would still rather eat at a non-chain when I can. By the way, thank you for paying that night.

P.S. I'm leaving now to go eat Sundown's.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

However, I also recognize that I'm different, and few people do that. When people are driving through Ruston, if they see a restaurant they recognize, they will leave some money in Ruston.

Now, back to the question at hand. When do I think we will get a Ben Again's. Maybe never. I think the chain has used the excuse of no alcohol to mollify those who are disappointed they didn't locate here, so they would still frequent their store in West Monroe. There may have been an opportunity a few years back, but West Monroe has jumped on it, and it may be awhile before we see any of these chains in Ruston.

For the record, I did vote for 1,2 and 5 as suggested by the Chamber. However, I didn't vote for the proposition because it was going to bring in a chain. I voted for freedom and against legalism. My fellow Baptists may disagree with this tee-totaler, but I love this country for its freedoms, and although I choose not to partake, I certainly don't believe I have the right to prevent another from that right.
    Too bad this isn't on the Pawlitics board, 'cuz your views on the Ruston alcohol issue beg a question or two. How do you relate your vote on that to the Stelly plan - where people who will not pay the higher tax got to choose that I have to? Voting is all about voting your will, but somehow it just doesn't seem that fair that basically in our country the masses can vote their will on the voting minority in almost every case. I'm also in the non-drinker crowd, and I liked the character of Ruston the way it was (there are plenty of towns where you can drink). So, the way I figure it I can vote the way I want my community to be if others have the same right.

You're right. You get to vote your will, and I believe that a community has the right to vote alcohol out if they choose. I did not agree with this at a national level, but I definitely believe each community should be allowed to decide what they want for that community. If one doesn't like the laws passed in their community, then that person can move.

It reminds me of when, I believe it was Socraties was found guilty of a crime that should never have been on the books, and was completely unfair for him to have been convicted. The authorities knew the law was unfair, so they gave him the opportunity to leave the country. He refused, because he wanted his children to be able to stay in the country. His logic was that if he wanted the benefits of the country, he had to abide by the rules, even if he disagreed with them.

I would have stayed in Ruston regardless of the alcohol vote. However, I believe that a city is stronger when it recognizes individual freedom whenever possible. That is what I wanted, but would have abided by the will of the people, and could easily see both sides of the issue. I was against the Stelly plan (of which I could not see both sides of the issue), but I haven't called the Mayflower movers. I'll just have to pay the tax.

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar
    I'm going to be Aub's ditto head on this post. When I go into a town, I ask stop and ask locals where the locals eat.
    Heck yeah. That's the best. Not only can you eat better by doing that, but chances are you'll meet cool people whilst you do it. I get away from home, and I'm like Charles Kuralt in search of America or something...

Chains suck. So you can get the same bad piece of grilled chicken in Columbus Ohio as you can in Fort Lauderdale or Kansas City. Gross.

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markay714
    and I liked the character of Ruston the way it was (there are plenty of towns where you can drink).
    Not to be argumentative, but you do realize you could drink at p-lenty of places in Ruston before this passed, right?

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    the masses can vote their will on the voting minority in almost every case
    Re-read Democracy in America. Mr. de Toqueville warned Americans of "tyranny of the majority" nearly 200 years ago.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Chains suck. So you can get the same bad piece of grilled chicken in Columbus Ohio as you can in Fort Lauderdale or Kansas City. Gross - Turbo

:lol: That is funny. These places give chicken a bad name. I'm not gonna pay $15 for a piece of chicken with pretty trimmings. Give me something that will clog my arteries (sp?) for that kind of money.......with some taters on the side.

Bulldog hisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the ears
    well, since my rent and bills are paid by a chain restaurant I'll dive right in.
    Nothing wrong with them, either go or don't. In the case of Applebee's I don't. I don't like the menu-period. Chili's is a decent option-there are a few items I like, and I usually don't get charged for the chips and salsa.

If you want a good artery clogging piece of chicken for less than fifteen bucks, Outback has the alice springs chicken-8oz breast, bacon, honey mustard, and about two pounds of cheese for less than that, but as a server I'd take 15$ if you insist.

take a good look at outback's beliefs and principles (www.outback.com) and see if you think they'd be a good thing for Ruston.

+ Reply to Thread