View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the Ruston Restaurant Referendum

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave things just as they are, beer sales only (Pass props. #1 and #2).

1 2.56%
  • Maintain status quo plus allow restaurants only to serve wine and mixed drinks (Pass props. #1, #2 and #5).

18 46.15%
  • Allow full alcohol sales by restaurants, bars and package stores in Ruston (Pass all 5 propositions).

19 48.72%
  • Vote out all alcohol sales, including beer sales, within the Ruston City Limit (Defeat all 5 propositions).

1 2.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruston Restaurant Referendum - you decide.

Varsity Bulldog HounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the rough
    Shreveport / Destin / Toledo Bend/Grand Isle
    Well, the masses got their wish and need to start moonlighting. You can bet that insurance companies will now jump on the opportunity to raise rates -- and they'll have, sad to say, statistics to back those increases up.

And to the good folks of Ruston, I hope the city council sticks it to underage drinkers -- cause we know THAT will increase as well.

I'm sipping on a glass of tea and hoping that posters here who wanted these referendums to pass don't have to bury a loved one like I did.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by HounDoggy1
    Well, the masses got their wish and need to start moonlighting. You can bet that insurance companies will now jump on the opportunity to raise rates -- and they'll have, sad to say, statistics to back those increases up.

And to the good folks of Ruston, I hope the city council sticks it to underage drinkers -- cause we know THAT will increase as well.

I'm sipping on a glass of tea and hoping that posters here who wanted these referendums to pass don't have to bury a loved one like I did.
    Your statement doesn't make sense. Why will underage drinking increase because of this referendum? Kids (my 17 year old son included) are not going into a restaurant to get alchohol. They are going to the package store outside the ruston city limits. Those underage that want to drink will drink, the passing of this referendum will not make any difference.

This vote was all about economics, no matter what opponents of it might say. Lincpac would have supported all 5 propositions had it been about increasing alchohol consumption and partying in Ruston.

The opponents of this referendum said that economic growth could be achieved without this. Duh, I've been here 40 years and Ruston has not grown. Hell, we used to have three movie theaters. They were put out of business because people went out of town to do their shopping, dining and entertaining. It was time to try something different.

Champ TECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really nice TECHAJUN's Avatar

I really felt like this post would put a somber end to this thread. HounDoggy1 -I for one would like you to know that my interest in this issue does NOT destroy my sensitivity to your lost. I am sorry for the terrible lost in your family--it is no wonder you feel as you do.

Puppy smilingdawg is an unknown
    While I obviously feel sorry for your loss; I don't understand your point...are you saying that you don't eat at any restaurants that serve alcoholic beverages? Because that is what this referendum was about. Getting the restaurants into Ruston and then giving consenting adults the choice of whether or not to consume alcohol.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar
    Could someone around the Ruston area please post the number of votes casts for each referendum. I’m curious to see HOW liberal Ruston has turned! :wink:

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar

Houndoggy... PLEASE READ THE PROPOSITIONS!

#1 and #2 PASSED (only beer sales in bars and stores) This is already CURRENTLY legal and has been since the 1970's.

#3 and #4 FAILED (all alcohol sales in bars and stores) I think this is a good move. It keeps the package stores out of the city.

#5 PASSED... Allows ONLY restuarants to serve alcohol.

AS GLM STATED, THIS WAS NOT ABOUT ALCOHOL, BUT ABOUT ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT.

It is about getting some additional restaurants in Ruston such as Outback, Chili's, Applebee's, El Chico, Bennigan's, Logan's Roadhouse, etc.... NOT ALCOHOL!

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg
    Could someone around the Ruston area please post the number of votes casts for each referendum. I’m curious to see HOW liberal Ruston has turned! :wink:
    #5 passed 2615 (56%) to 2071 (44%)

http://www.knoe.com/lincoln.html

Varsity Bulldog HounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the rough
    Shreveport / Destin / Toledo Bend/Grand Isle
    Anytime you increase outlets and availability of alcohol there is an increase in total number of alcohol-related automobile accidents AND FATALITIES which increases in insurance rates. It's a mortality table numbers thing.

With Ruston being a college town, and most of Tech's students being below the legal drinking age, there will be an increase of underage drinking when "creative" methods are used to deceive restaurants who in turn will do a "blind-eye" approach at doing what they do best -- which is to separate college kids with as much money as they can.

This was the reason for my comment about the council STRICTLY enforcing underage drinking laws -- BY MAKING AN EXAMPLE out of those who violate it -- both the offender AND the restaurant.

i.e. $500 fine for 1st offense underage drinking ($750- 2nd offense) - $2,500 fine per occurance and loss of license after the third offense for the business establishment + loss of occupational license and loss of occupational license of other owned establishments if THOSE have combined FOUR offenses within the same time frame (suggest:18 months). This will decrease the chance of restaurants being "loose" in their requirement to check ID's and will curtail those who will want to be "close thier eyes" when presented with "questionable" ID's.

The underage driver who killed my sister had been at a motel restaurant/bar combo drinking before he went to Sak's in Bossier and drank there. (He was 17 when the drinking age then was 18).

The retaurant paid a $100 fine. My Dad paid for a funeral.

+ Reply to Thread