View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the Ruston Restaurant Referendum

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave things just as they are, beer sales only (Pass props. #1 and #2).

1 2.56%
  • Maintain status quo plus allow restaurants only to serve wine and mixed drinks (Pass props. #1, #2 and #5).

18 46.15%
  • Allow full alcohol sales by restaurants, bars and package stores in Ruston (Pass all 5 propositions).

19 48.72%
  • Vote out all alcohol sales, including beer sales, within the Ruston City Limit (Defeat all 5 propositions).

1 2.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruston Restaurant Referendum - you decide.

Champ RhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Tomorrow the citizens of Ruston will have the opportunity to vote on changes governing the sale of alcohol. This was last addressed in 1973. This has been made possible by LINCPAC, a group of citizens concerned with the economic development of Ruston and Lincoln Parish. The outcome they desire is to change the law so that restaurants will be allowed to serve wine and mixed drinks. To put this on the ballot, Louisiana law requires that not only the restaurant issue be addressed, but also the issue of current laws already regulating beer sales as well as the issue of adding bars and package stores to the mix. LINCPAC would have preferred to address the issue of restaurants only but the law would not allow it to be presented to the voters in that manner. This will be placed on the ballot under the title of City of Ruston Propositions, with five propositions presented, each passing or failing independently of one another. Here is a breakdown of the propositions, what they mean in plain english, the effect of a yes or no vote and the requested vote by LINCPAC to give restaurants only the ability to serve wine and mixed drinks.

1. Shall the sale of beverages of alcoholic content containing not more than six percent alcohol by volume be permitted by package only and not for consumption on the premises in Ruston, Louisiana?

This allows beer sales by convenience stores , etc. This is currently legal in Ruston. A YES vote changes nothing. A NO vote stops beer sales by convenience stores, grocers, etc. PLEASE VOTE YES ON #1

2. Shall the sale of beverages of alcoholic content containing not more than six percent alcohol by volume for consumption on the premises be permitted in Ruston, Louisiana?

This allows beer sales by restaurants and bars. This is currently legal in Ruston. A YES vote changes nothing. A NO vote stops beer sales by restaurants and bars. PLEASE VOTE YES ON #2

3. Shall the sale of beverage alcohol containing one half of one percent alcohol by volume and above for consumption on the premises be permitted in Ruston, Louisiana?

This would allow bars to sell wine and liquor. This is not currently legal in Ruston. A NO vote changes nothing. A yes vote would allow bars to sell wine and liquor. PLEASE VOTE NO.ON #3

4. Shall the sale of beverages of alcoholic content containing one half of one percent alcohol by volume and above be permitted by package only and not for consumption on the premises in Ruston, Louisiana?

This would allow package stores, grocers, etc. to sell wine and liquor. This is not currently legal in Ruston. A NO vote changes nothing. A yes vote would allow stores to sell liquor. PLEASE VOTE NO.ON #4

5. Shall the sale of beverages of high and low alcoholic content be permitted only on the premises of restaurant establishments which have been issued an "R" permit as defined by law in Ruston, Louisiana?

This will allow RESTAURANTS ONLY to sell wine & mixed drinks. This is the only change proposed by referendum supporters. PLEASE VOTE YES ON #5.

An active faction is attempting to seize this opportunity to vote all alcohol sales out of Ruston. Unfortunately, voting no on all five propositions, the position advocated by those opposed to the referendum, will more affectively vote the control of alcohol out of the jurisdiction of Ruston. Alcohol will still be present, available and in use, just as it was when the Lord turned water into wine.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    I definitely want 1, 2, & 5 to pass.

When would any changes take effect? January 1st?

Champ RhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    It is my understanding that any changes would be effective immediately.

Varsity Bulldog HounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the rough
    Shreveport / Destin / Toledo Bend/Grand Isle
    This is a sticky topic with me.

When I was a kid, my older sister, her best friend and their boyfriends were killed on Highway 80 E by a drunk who had just left Sak's Whisk-A-Go-Go in Bossier.

A fifth died three years later from complications caused by the head on collision where the guy was driving the wrong way in thier lane with his lights out.

Booze and car keys don't mix. Sorry, but I'd rather be in the SunBelt with ULM than see ANY of these referendums pass.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    If none of these pass, the students and residents will STILL go to Rabb's on the service road two miles past Temple BC and drink or buy anything they want. Rabb's is not located in the City of Ruston but rather in the City of Grambling.

Or, worst yet, they get on I-20 and DRIVE to 30 miles to Monroe/West Monroe or 60 miles to Shreveport/Bossier and drink there.

If none of these pass, it actually creates a more dangerous situation than if they all pass.

Currently Ruston restaurants and stores can only serve and sell beer. The only thing I really want added is the ability to sell alcohol at RESTAURANTS so that Ruston can have some additional dining choices.

There are a few good places scattered around Ruston and downtown, but other than that all Ruston has is fast food places. That is the reason for the referendum, not because people want to have package stores on every corner!

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ
    There are a few good places scattered around Ruston and downtown, but other than that all Ruston has is fast food places. That is the reason for the referendum, not because people want to have package stores on every corner!
    Now, don't forget about Captain D's!

Big Dog SpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the rough SpaceDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ
    I don't live in Ruston, and if I did, I would be "sitting on the fence" if I had to pick a side. But....if the reasoning is valid that the "bigger" restaurants are holding out because of the alcohol issue, why haven't other restaurants that don't serve alcohol (i.e. Cracker Barrel) opened in Ruston? :huh2:

SD

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    I'm with most of you guys. Vote YES on 1,2, and 5, NO on 3 and 4. I don't live in Lincoln Parish, but if I did, that is how I'd play it. This enables Ruston to land quality restaurants without having those trashy package liquor stores popping up on every corner. I don't think the three that I want to pass would negatively affect the character of the city.

That said, I encourage everyone to not drink at all, or drink in MODERATION! Alcohol is evil when it gets control of you, and brings you under Satan's influence. Any of you who have had a family member with an alcohol problem know exactly what I am talking about.

GEAUX TIGERS!! GO DAWGS!!

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDawg
    ...why haven't other restaurants that don't serve alcohol (i.e. Cracker Barrel) opened in Ruston? :huh2:

SD
    I'll tell you why Cracker Barrel hasn't opened a store in Ruston. They like to spread their stores along the interstate. They already have one 28 miles down the road in West Monroe and another 72 miles away in Shreveport. They are a travellers restaurant and Ruston is not high on the tourism chart.

Varsity Bulldog techdrummer has turned a few heads around heretechdrummer has turned a few heads around heretechdrummer has turned a few heads around heretechdrummer has turned a few heads around here
    I think we should leave things the way they are.

If we are thinking that passing #5 will make things soo much better, then why could Cucos not make it. I think that if this was really wanted then we could do it outside of town. Rabb's has been a sucess and it's outside of town. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Champ Bossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really nice Bossdawg's Avatar
    Restaurants depend on much more demograpghic info than licour sales to decide where to put restaurants.

I will say to keep things like they are already, but in the long run which ever way the vote goes, it is still a personal choice about whether or not to consume alcohol, and the decisions one makes following alcohol consumption.

Puppy smilingdawg is an unknown
    Cucos closed because the chain went out of business...they usually had a fairly steady dinner crowd and a packed happy hour.

Quote Originally Posted by techdrummer
    I think we should leave things the way they are.

If we are thinking that passing #5 will make things soo much better, then why could Cucos not make it. I think that if this was really wanted then we could do it outside of town. Rabb's has been a sucess and it's outside of town. Just my thoughts on the matter.
    The entire Cucos chain went bankrupt, not just the Ruston location. And, the owner has already changed to another mexican restaurant that is doing very good business.

And, since they are not located in the City of Ruston nor near the rest of Grambling... Rabb's, Cucos, etc. do not have City of Ruston utilities available to them such as Fire Protection, Water, or Sewer service. This makes a big difference in the overhead expenses (especially insurance rates for fire).

Quote Originally Posted by Bossdawg
    Restaurants depend on much more demograpghic info than licour sales to decide where to put restaurants.
    Think so? Ask Outback why they located a new franchise in a Mississippi town rather than Ruston... Unable to get a liquor license.

You have two colleges with a total enrollment of ~16,000...

There have been many inquiries about a new movie theatre in Ruston. Want to know why a new movie theatre has not located in Ruston? When the theatre company finds out about the lack of chain restaurants in Ruston, the theatre companies immediately back off.

The sad thing is that the people who will vote against this are the same people that drive to West Monroe to eat at Outback, Chili's, Bennigan's, El Chico, Logan's, Chile Verde, etc.

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar
    someone from the city told me that several restaurants are lining up waiting for it to pass and that someone is looking at the old walmart as a possible 10 screen movie theatre.

+ Reply to Thread